RE: Very thin Plastic

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:31 am
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

I did mine with GRP whilst they were still in place, and had no problems with access, getting it to stay in place whilst it set and so on. It is easy enough to do although it can be messy. You need to take care not to get it all over the place and you. (I one glued a sock to my foot whilst making a dinghy!).
I think the problem with stick on flashing is that it is heavy, so bouncing around on a trip will inevitably make it fall off.
It is probably most economical to get a repair kit something like https://www.amazon.co.uk/Davids-Fastglas...498695779&psc=1 would do.
You can also get it to hold in tight spaces by using a sponge covered in polythene to wedge it in place. (the resin will not stick to polythene but recommend testing a bit beforehand to be sure).

Triton 420 towed by a Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi
Simboc2004 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:11 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.316 Posts

Back from a 600 mile trip to Devon in wind and rain. I applied a double layer in Oct and ours has held up fine on this first outing.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:59 pm
by Inspecta_Gadget | 209 Posts

Was that the duct tape Colin or flash band?

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:43 pm
Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

I used a double layer of flash band tape. It was this one:- Werbung: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264304531285?var=563889269144

Colin

The following contents have been linked to this post:

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Poptop320 and Simboc2004 like this post!
Last edited Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:05 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:05 pm

Update - I’ve just been under the ‘riba this week recoating the chassis with a new coat of Lanoguard and I took the opportunity to check the flash-band reinforcement.

After 16 months and over 4000 miles the flash-band is just like it was just fitted. (Well, there’s a film of dirt, but no flapping bits!)

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:26 am
by GT runner | 291 Posts

The thin plastic in the recess on the front lights is a thing !. It is thin in the first place from the manufacturing process, but the killer blow is the UV from the sun. This makes it very brittle on the bottom part of the recess. The telling sign is a slight discolouration. It normally goes from grey to a light brown colour. This is when the brittleness creeps in. Then the slightest touch when washing your pride and joy and it will just crumble. So the secret is to keep this area covered when facing strong sunlight. Could be a new side hustle for someone - Eriba front light sun flaps ! Randa, you could make a prototype with all those awning off cuts. Hope that helps, Robbie

Inspecta_Gadget and Poptop320 like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:57 am
by Simboc2004 | 654 Posts

Fibreglass reinforced tape might be worth considering, as it resists stretch. As it's out of the direct sun it should remain stuck on for a good while.

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:44 pm

A wooden mould to make some proper fibreglass ones would be best!🤣🤣

Any takers?🙏

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:41 pm
by John Cross | 264 Posts

We went to the caravan show yesterday, it was very busy.
Once we located the Eriba's, which was also busy, I had a look around the new offerings.
There were some nice touches, mainly the lighting, but a few no so nice things. The cupboard latches felt flimsy and 2 were broken. A shelf by the door had fallen apart, the cushions don't feel as comfy as our 2005 cushions. On the whole, it felt cheaper

2005 Troll 540 and 1994 LR Discovery 1 Fred and Diane
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:22 pm
by GT runner | 291 Posts

I too went to the LF Eriba stand yesterday. It had been incredibly busy there. I spoke to Cameron about the broken kitchen extension shelf and the missing toilet door handle, which made one of the vans look a wreck. Even one of the cushions was ripped. All of the damage was caused by 2 lots of unsavoury visitors to the stand (Pikies). They clearly had no intention of buying anything, and IMHO were envious of how smart the Eriba’s are, and especially when compared to their tarmac splattered WWB’s.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:27 pm
by Kam | 139 Posts

On my previous Eriba I reinforced some cracks on the plastic fairing cover with Crystal clear Gorilla tape. It was still holding strong when I sold the van over a year later. I might try this on back of the front light fairing on my current 2018 550gt.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:45 am
by Simboc2004 | 654 Posts

The other tape that is awesome is T-REX gaffer tape. I use it a lot. I stuck some over a flooring joint that was lifting at work and it's still intact over a year later. It sticks really, really, really firm. I have also used some to reinforce the sun shade on my sat nav attached to my car windscreen and that hasn't deteriorated like "normal" gaffer tape - after nearly two years in situ. Not cheap though...

It's dark silvery grey coloured, so would have to go on the back of the panel.

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...

Last edited Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:45 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:35 pm
by Yeadonblue (deleted)

Just wondering if anyone has had any joy from Hymer with the thin plastic light fairing ?
Surely this is a manufacturers issue, the light fairing is obviously too thin and not fit for purpose. The reason I ask is we have the same issue on our 2018 Troll GT540 and it seems fair they (Hymer) should fix the problem.

Troll 540 Touring shimmying along behind a Subaru Outback
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:15 pm

I had one replaced on my 2017 van on 2028 where it had cracked around the corner steady winding hole.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:02 pm
by Jed | 8 Posts

Another vote for fibre glass here. Its a bit fiddly but works a treat. I double layered mine underneath the weak part and its really strong now.

SOULBLUESMAN68 and dinky like this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
5 Members and 21 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12528 topics and 105704 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 5