Very thin Plastic

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:07 pm
by atkinbrown | 62 Posts

We wondered if this has happened to anyone. I was polishing our troll when my finger went right through the plastic at the base of the front lights. The plastic is paper thin! Luckily I found the bits and managed to attach them with some gaffer tape, not perfect but the best I can do. I have put some tape under the other side as well to try and strengthen it.

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 DSC_0203.JPG 

Eriba 530GT and Skoda Karoq 1.6 TDI
Scroll up

RE: Very thin Plastic

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:04 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.316 Posts

How old is your van as this could be a warranty issue.The plastic is very thin, so thin that mine had a factory applied sticker on the underside for strength.The plastic really is stretched beyond a reasonable limit when it has been vacuum formed to shape and Hymer should have started with a thicker material. I had one the trim replaced on my 2017 Triton at the second service from memory and now have a piece of aluminium gaffer tape on the reverse side of both.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
cruickie likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:31 pm
by Captain Calamity | 343 Posts

We have the same issue on a 2017 Triton but have decided to live with it for now. I’d be interested in any solutions the whizz kids out there might suggest.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:40 am
by atkinbrown | 62 Posts

Our van is 2018 but the van had been in the showroom until we bought it in May 2019. Virginia reckons the warranty starts from the day you pay which should mean we are still under warranty. I will phone AL at Tebay and ask them.

Eriba 530GT and Skoda Karoq 1.6 TDI

Last edited Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:55 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:39 am

I also believe the warranty does start upon collection, but is very limited after 12 months. I was surprised that Hymer stumped up for the replacement. I notified them of a crack in the fairing at 18 months and the work was done at the 2yr service along with stress cracks in the pop top roof.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:09 pm
by PhilipM | 208 Posts

I tried to make a warranty claim when a hole appeared in one of mine. They are paper thin. I was told it was not a common issue and not covered by the warranty (despite seeing others make a claim). A new one costs about £150. Mine is repaired with silver tape.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:08 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.609 Posts

I had one of my side mouldings replaced on its first service.
Here is the Eriba warranty items covered which differ as the years progress.

1st year is comprehensive and includes all original fit components.
2nd year excludes tyres, glass, paint& brightwork, soft furnishings,carpets floor coverings,work surfaces, window catches, electrical connections,natural movement of internal doors and furniture, audio equipment.

6 year Damp warranty

The items below were replaced or repaired under warranty.

1st year:
Front hitch cover
bottom front sidelight moulding

2nd year
Two touch lights
Fridge element
Door lock repaired

5th year.
Locker door replaced due to damp.

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:46 am
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.118 Posts

Wow - I never realised how thin the plastic was until I read this thread.

Just checked our 2016 Troll on the drive and am amazed that it hasn't cracked as it is so thin. Strangely the right side one seems significantly thinner than the left.

Not sure if to follow some others lead and put some silver coloured gaffer tape underneath to strengthen them

Not what you expect from an Eriba - or perhaps is it?

MikeT

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:49 am
by John Cross | 264 Posts

Must be cost cutting, my 2005 trims feel quite thick, what you would expect a plastic trim to feel like

2005 Troll 540 and 1994 LR Discovery 1 Fred and Diane
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:14 am

Fred, on your van the plastic light cowl is only small and the plastic has not been stretched far. The problem with the newer vans is the lighting cowl forms part of the same moulding as the corner steady fairing. This is about 700 x 150 mm. Where the light sits it is set back about 70 mm, so that 150 mm width has been stretched to probably twice it's original width and in places 1/4 of it's original thickness.

Colin

John Cross likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:09 am
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

Does anyone know if these mouldings are made from ABS? Was reading something the other day about repairing ABS using a slurry of abs melted in acetone, and reinforcing with plastic flyscreen. This would appear to be a good way to strengthen some parts which usually crack. Probably wouldn't help much where the moulding is so thin though.

Triton 420 towed by a Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:31 am

The mouldings are vacuum formed. This is usually done with High Impact Polystyrene - HIPS.
The machine I used to use at school was not of a commercial size, but could cope with 2.5mm thick sheets.If stretched to the extent of the Eriba moulding these would still be about 1mm thick at the thinnest areas, so why Hymer persist in using such a thin material is beyond me.

Colin

SOULBLUESMAN68 and Simboc2004 like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:13 am
by Derekcbr (deleted)

Yes I too have had this problem. I have taken both mouldings off and bought some fibre glass mat and resin and on the underside made a lay up to strengthen the mouldings. I got some spray cans from my local motor factors and sprayed them. The result is very good. My only problem was getting new ‘high-hat’ plastic screw covers as the old ones were a pain to remove to get at the heads of the screws. Once refitted you can’t see the repair and they are now very much stronger.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:02 pm
by Grandad Super (deleted)

Just had the same problem on my 2019 60th edition,
Washing some mud off this morning with a soft sponge when it went through the plastic beneath the front side light.
The plastic is wafer thin in this area
Other side is cracked.
Not sure if it will be covered by the warranty

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:59 am
by Inspecta_Gadget | 209 Posts

Sounds like a case of fixing the problem before it causes damage.
I’m thinking of putting some self-amalgamating matting (used in car panels/wheel-wells) or using a coating of gorilla glue to stiffen it up. (Will be testing on other materials first) I think the existing plastic will provide the toughness if you can add some ‘meat’ behind it to provide strength.

I do like Derek’s fix, but I’ve never been very good with fibre-glass.

SOULBLUESMAN68 and John Cross like this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
7 Members and 24 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12528 topics and 105704 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 7