Any radio boffins out there?

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat May 28, 2022 1:30 pm
by monoboard | 357 Posts

After our last trip with no tv or phone signal what so ever I thought I’d take a radio with us on our next trip. The question is which is liable to be better in an area of bad signal, I have an ancient Roberts radio with sw, mw & long wave or I have a new Roberts Dab radio, I don’t watch a lot of tv but it’s handy to have at least a radio

Last edited Sat May 28, 2022 1:31 pm | Scroll up

RE: Any radio boffins out there?

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat May 28, 2022 3:03 pm
by chasnick | 69 Posts

Hi, firstly we are no way techies and better options are probably out there but this was our choice. We love to listen to a radio and after a bit of research plumped for a Ruark Tabletop Radio R1 Mark3. It had two major things going for it. Firstly, apart from the telescopic aerial you can fix an external aerial to it (Screwfix Labgear Omni Directional ) which we put under the bed next to the onboard water tank and increases the signal massively, secondly, a battery pack (re-chargeable) for when we are not on hook-up, which is most of the time. It lasts well if you are careful. Very pleased with the set up.

Skoda Yeti 2.0 Diesel 4x4, 2020 540 Troll GT.
monoboard likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat May 28, 2022 3:27 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.618 Posts

I have a modern Roberts Rambler radio it has dab and also FM, I tend to find that DAB can be a bit patchy in rural areas but it is getting better, however if the dab reception is poor I can always find something on the fm band.

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!

Last edited Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:07 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun May 29, 2022 12:32 am
by GT runner | 291 Posts

Hi Chas, we use a JBL Tuner 2. Its DAB and FM, and has the most amazing sound quality. It lasts about 12hours on one charge and charges via Type C USB. It also has Bluetooth so we can stream from our iPhones too via 4G.

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun May 29, 2022 1:34 am
by Angie and Steve | 165 Posts

If you are going to places where there is no mobile phone or television signal then there is almost no chance at all that you will be in a DAB radio area. Your choice of a classic Roberts radio with SW MW and LW is certainly a great idea but don't forget FM which is more or less available all over the UK and most of Europe. The audio quality of FM is much better then SW MW or LW and it is also virtually free from interference and all the other weird noises ans comings and goings of nighttime reception on MW and SW.
10 out of 10 for choosing radio!

Steve.

PS I am pretty knowledgeable about this stuff so please post with any other questions.

Without music, life would be a mistake.

Last edited Sun May 29, 2022 1:36 am | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun May 29, 2022 7:25 am
by Frantone | 108 Posts

No DAB in France?

Eriba Troll 540GT. 2019. Our sixth Eriba! Loved them all.
monoboard and cabbie37 like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun May 29, 2022 8:01 am
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.018 Posts

We're in the process of buying a new van (not an Eriba - shame) and I've noticed that the manufacturers have fitted an AM/FM radio without DAB this model year, whereas for the previous few years the radios were DAB capable. It's probably a cost saving measure but presumably DAB radios use computer chips and their worldwide shortage may have driven the change.

The lack of DAB got me thinking and I remembered I bought a brown Pure Evoke Mio back around 2011 and, rather like the traditional Roberts radio it just looked right in a Touring range van. It worked fine too, the only issue is, like the Roberts I believe, the leatherette skin on the exterior finish is stupidly thin and easily snagged, exposing the pale soft foam underneath which makes the thing look tatty quite quickly. Probably OK for keeping on a shelf at home but not so good when it keeps having to be packed away in a van on a regular basis. Still it will be resurrected when our new van arrives.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG

Last edited Sun May 29, 2022 8:02 am | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun May 29, 2022 8:35 am
by eribaMotters | 5.403 Posts

We have a small Pure radio with rhe expensive recharge battery. DAB reception is generally good, but we do need to resort to FM at times. As above DAB also not available/compatable on the continent. The radio also has a jack inlet which is good for playing music into from an exterior source.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon May 30, 2022 10:56 am
by Simboc2004 | 713 Posts

I have had (probably the same) DAB/FM little Pure radio with (expensive) add-on rechargeable pack for at least ten years and it works really well. I get weeks on a charge.Definitely one to recommend

Athena, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon May 30, 2022 5:36 pm
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

Isn't it easier to listen to radio either on your phone or tablet with a bluetooth speaker?

Betty, 1998 Triton 430 and Colin, a Renault Mégane.
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon May 30, 2022 5:36 pm

Isn't it easier to listen to radio either on your phone or tablet with a bluetooth speaker?

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon May 30, 2022 6:24 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.403 Posts

Doesn't that mean more tech and the need for Internet access.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon May 30, 2022 7:19 pm
by chasnick | 69 Posts

Sorry, you've lost me Islay, can you translate that from Chinese into English !!!

Skoda Yeti 2.0 Diesel 4x4, 2020 540 Troll GT.
GT runner likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue May 31, 2022 5:40 am

On your phone, you download a free radio app, and listen. Most campsites have WIFI or you can use 4/5G. I can only talk for France . For example last week, we were on a site where you had to watch a 30 second video to get free wifi for the day and Bob est ton Oncle as we say! Same for watching TV. I use TV Mucho (not free) for English TV. Then there's Netflix and Amazon Prime..... lots of options for radio and TV. Small solutions for small caravans LOL

likes this post!
Last edited Tue May 31, 2022 5:40 am | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue May 31, 2022 9:55 am
by Steve and Debbie | 1.086 Posts

Islay, If you use a VPN you should be able to watch UK tv channels.

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi

GT runner likes this post!
Last edited Tue May 31, 2022 9:55 am | Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 80 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12659 topics and 106590 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0