Comparisons

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:06 pm
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.018 Posts

Team SDA are about to get a new van , but very sadly it's not an Eriba

In my defence I'll outline what it is and why we're getting it.

It's a https://www.leisuresales.co.uk/caravans/...y-compact-2022/, a dealer special version of the new Swift Sprite Compact model, launched for 2022MY to fill the gap left by Lunar going bust and their Ariva model no longer being on the market.

As it happens its internal length is exactly the same as the Familia's at 3.66m and the layout is the same except the door is nearside and the internals are swapped back to front.

What sold it to us however is that despite the internal length being the same, the lounge benches are 1.8m long, allowing them to be used as single beds, whilst the Familia's are just 1.4m long meaning you have to make a double bed and sleep across the van. In such a small van keeping the gangway clear for dog sleeping space is important.

As for other things that the Eriba has not, the Sprite has a central chest, an oven, microwave and AM/FM radio.

To spec. up a Familia to the same as the Sprite would take its base price of £21,550 to nearly £28,210 and you'd still be short of the three items mentioned above. The Sprite is costing £22,600 with battery, mover, Aquaroll and Wastemaster thrown in. We could've gone for a Triton 420 instead, in order to get 6ft 3ins benches and single bed capability but that is 18ins longer and would push the price differential to getting on for £8,000, which can't be sneezed at.

Another factor is weight. The Sprite has a MIRO of 995kg, the Familia 320 780kg, add in a battery to the Sprite and a battery and charger to the 320 and you're up to 1020kg and 810kg respectively. Add a mover and those figures become 1050kg and 840kg. Meaning on their standard MTPLM the Sprite has 59kg left and the Familia 60kg. The Sprite can be upgraded by 91kg, leaving 146kg available and the Familia by 150kg leaving 210kg and that upgrade is free from Swift, but costs £350 from Hymer. That's not the end, because, to bring the Familia up to nearly the same equipment levels as the Sprite means adding 146kg of extras and that reduces the available payload to 64kg. So after all the shenanigans the Sprite has around 50% more payload to utilise than the Eriba.

Now I dearly love Eribas but trying to find one that suits is a pain and paying a third more for a van with less inside doesn't seem sensible.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG

Last edited Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:09 pm | Scroll up

RE: Comparisons

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:47 am
by Simon Todd (deleted)

Well I can certainly understand your dilemma and solid reasoning for your selection. I’ve always thought that an Eriba touring is a heart decision backed up by a low cost of ownership despite the premium price tag. All that said, things change and whilst there is certainly a huge renaissance in Eribas and caravans more generally which is great, unfortunately lifetime ownership of current builds is probably optimistic and therefore cost of ownership changes. I always had a plan, just before retirement I’d buy a new fully spec’d Troll and that would last me 25 years all through retirement. Trouble is, current builds are not what they were and I don’t want to be always fixing the thing. I want to be enjoying it. Therefore it’s forced a rethink, what suits me right now, what is affordable, and how easy will my ownership be. I’m sure you’ve made a wise decision albeit a difficult one to reconcile with that big Eriba heart you’ve carried for many years. I hope it’s everything you need and gives you many great memories

In process of swapping back to Eriba, new 2023 model on order
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:57 am
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

There's always the second-hand market where you'll get good build quality. I'm always amazed at the really old Eribas you see in France - I posted a link to the French forum page where you can see all the old vans circulating here, but no-one was interested. Shame.

Betty, 1998 Triton 430 and Colin, a Renault Mégane.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:44 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.619 Posts

That's is a lovely van Andy, it has a lot of kit for the money I can see your logic. When I bought my 2012 Familia 320 GT it was £14,000 ( it was a special offer and should have been £16000) from Leisure Vehicles/Automotive Leisure . Late 2015 I bought another Familia 320 GT as it had a better toilet layout and in silver, this cost me £17,000 from Lowdhams ( I got £11,000 trade in for my 2012 Familia). To buy a Familia 320 today it will cost me £26,000 65% increase from my 2015 ( not including a motormover). You certainly don't buy an Eriba with your head especially as the new and second-hand prices for Eribas are now getting silly. For me the Eriba is part of the holiday rather than a means to have a holiday, however I couldn't afford a new one now. I wouldn't be able to have a normal height caravan as my neighbours would complain. I get away with having the Eriba on my drive as they think it's small and cute and it doesn't block out the light to their windows.

received_515480866987306.jpeg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!

Last edited Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:16 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:07 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.403 Posts

As posted in another thread, I'm having one of my moments and looking for something a bit larger than our Triton. A Troll (£30K+) was my first thought, a Feeling (£25K+) my next. Full size Hobby and Knaus then appear on the radar at about £21K from a UK dealer. To complicate matters even more what about an electric Knaus with twin induction hobs, bigger fridge, hot water, electric heating and air con etc for less than £25K from a UK dealer. The Hobby and Knaus have large fixed beds and with a max weight of between 1300kg and 1500kg do not need a huge car to tow them. Yes they are taller, wider and longer, but it has got me thinking.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Poptop320 likes this post!
Last edited Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:54 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:49 pm

We were due to pick up the Compact this morning, however Mrs SDA tested positive for covid last Friday and I trailed in behind her getting the second bar last Sunday. The collection has been rearranged for a week tomorrow and we hope we'll be all clear by then.

So meanwhile I watch the Swift video of the standard Compact, whilst our own has different fabrics and options as part of the dealer special passage. https://www.swiftgroup.co.uk/caravans/pr...sprite-compact/ Doesn't she look cute on those drone shots along the valley.

Last edited Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:50 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:47 am
by Steve and Debbie | 1.086 Posts

Looks very nice Andy, what is the gap for behind the seats ?
Steve

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:12 pm

They're what I think are called bedboards or something similar Steve. Most, if not all UK built vans have them. I think the boards have a number of functions, one being to allow air movement from the air vents under the bed locker up and around the van, so an aid to avoiding still air. Another use is to keep the upholstery from resting on the interior walls which might suffer condensation dampness in the cold winter months.

Also in vans with Alde wet central heating, the gaps allow warm air from the radiators in the under bench locker to circulate into the van interior..

Steve and Debbie likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:03 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.619 Posts

How is the new Swift compact Andy?

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:41 am
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

It would be interesting to see a switch to a clamshell GRP construction (like those ones almost produced in the USA). I am sure most people are not bothered about the industrial steel frame and aluminium panels that ripple. With the angled sides and a clamshell construction it would be as strong and save an awful lot of weight.
As things stand I can only see the prices continuing to increase until they can't sell them at all. Sorry if this is a great heresy though.

Triton 420 towed by a Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:13 am

Quote: Poptop320 wrote in post #9
How is the new Swift compact Andy?

What's the saying? 'Like a parson's egg, good in parts.

First weekend away we discovered the fridge wasn't chilling. All the display was there and there was warm air from the top vent on both mains and gas, but the refrigerant just wasn't circulating. Reported to dealer Monday afternoon, new fridge fitted Tuesday, collected Wednesday morning.
We noticed that the nearside window flyscreen kept dropping a bit during a tow. Investigation turned up that the bottom rear screw holding the blind cassette in place wasn't holding in the wallboard.
Then yesterday on arrival at Coniston we discovered our new new fridge door lying across the gangway, totally separated from the fridge body. It has gouged two holes in the wardrobe door opposite the fridge. Mrs SDA is certain she engaged both the top and bottom locks. Luckily I was able to refit it and it opens and closes fine, but I'll worry about it all the way home.
The washroom would be better with a bench loo but, though tight I've managed a shower.
I was concerned that the 5ft 11ins single beds wouldn't be long enough as I used to be 6ft 1ins tall, but with age I appear to have shrunk a bit and fit quite nicely.
The dog is a problem cos she's not small and is always in the way, wherever she decides to lay, but for two people it's really all they need, the fridge though, is another matter.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:39 pm
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

Pity you are having some teething problems. Hope it hasnt taken the shine off too much. Is the fridge one of those that open both ways. Seems like the door could come off completely if everything isnt right.

Triton 420 towed by a Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:27 pm

It's not one of the fridges that can open either way, though you can swap which side it hinges on by moving bits about. It appears to hinge on a small stub at the bottom of the fridge frame and I suspect that if jolted enough the door might rise just enough to clear the stub.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:13 pm
by Inspecta_Gadget | 264 Posts

Just check the wheel balancing Andy, we’ve had all sorts falling off in the past; oven doors hob covers, gas fire fronts…

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:32 pm

I was wondering about wheel balancing too M'sieur Gadget. The other thought was lack of ammortisseurs.

Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 61 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12660 topics and 106594 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1