New Troll 530 water supply question

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:00 pm
by ajsms999 | 41 Posts

Hello Everyone,

We are new to the forum & also new to caravanning in total.
We recently picked up a new 2022 530 60yr edition (from Red Lion in Southport).We understand that they are a newly appointed dealer, but have to say the service they gave us (being complete newbies) was excellent.
However I should stop rambling & get on to my problem/question.
Our caravan is configured with a 40l internal water tank & also a comet external pump connection (pipework & pump supplied). Red Lion suggested that this pump was for filling the onboard tank from an aquaroll or similar. Suggesting that the external pump is switched on by the manual switch located in the comet housing.
We have just returned from our first few days away & can report that this is not how it operates.

What I am certain of is as follows:

The external switch controls the internal pump - without it being switched on there is no water at any tap or shower.
The external pump (if connected) runs whenever a tap is opened, regardless of the position of the external switch.
If the external switch is on - both pumps run when a tap requests water, the internal tank empties quicker than the aquaroll. When you turn the tap off the water from the internal tank backfills the aqua roll & overflows until the internal tank is empty.
If we connect the external pump & don't switch the internal pump on, water is supplied from the aquaroll but again when resting the internal tank backfills the aquaroll, overflowing until empty.

I have read the manual several times & can't find any detail on how this 'optional feature' should operate.

Does anyone else have this option and can confirm how it should work?
Also I have a water drain cock (plastic fitting with a blue screw head) located near to the internal tank which is leaking (very) slightly. Does anyone know where I can buy a replacement?

Any help you can give is appreciated.

Regards
Andrew

Scroll up

RE: New Troll 530 water supply question

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:50 am
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

I can't answer your questions but I suggest that you go back to the seller and get them to
A. Explain how everything in the van works.
B; fix the leaky bung.
For what you've no doubt paid for you van, they should be working harder for you!

Betty, 1998 Triton 430 and Colin, a Renault Mégane.

Pepé Le Pew, Simboc2004, , John Cross and cruickie like this post!
Last edited Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:50 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:15 am
by eribaMotters | 5.404 Posts

Andrew, I have the same setup and have only ever used the onboard tank. I look forward to the answer so on how the "City Fill" works.
The leaky valve next to the tank rings a bell, from a previous Eriba. I seem to recall if you wind it fully out you find a grommet type ring. This may not be seating correctly. All it probably needs is a clean and then putting back in.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Last edited Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:16 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:17 am
by Steve and Debbie | 1.086 Posts

I can't figure out whats happening but wonder if your system uses tap micro switches or is pressurised or a mixture of both ?. Its like the internal tank is seing a drop in pressure so is running.

These links may help build a picture.

https://www.caravantalk.co.uk/community/...ter-bugfeature/

https://www.caravantalk.co.uk/community/...h-a-hymer-nova/

Steve

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi

Last edited Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:20 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:02 pm
by ajsms999 | 41 Posts

Thanks for your responses - I will contact the supplying dealer again, but their initial instruction was wrong - so I doubt they know any better -- although I presume they can get a definitive answer direct from Hymer. If I get anything I'll share it here.

The leaking drain cock appears to be leaking from the one side (pipe connection only), not leaking out through the drain point. I am aware that this would be covered under warranty, but the dealer is 3 hours away, so if I can just buy a replacement that may be easier. I suppose I could ask them to source and post a replacement.

When the water back fills & overspills the aquaroll no pump is running - it seems to be a sort of syphoning effect.

The top of the aquaroll is open with just the comet pump/pipe lowered into it. Is it possible to buy a different sealed top for the aquaroll - that would allow the pump tube to pass through whist forming a water tight seal?

This would prevent the water overspilling, although i presume it would then be necesary to provide an air vent also.

Thanks again
Andrew

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:24 am
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.018 Posts

Quote: ajsms999 wrote in post #5

When the water back fills & overspills the aquaroll no pump is running - it seems to be a sort of syphoning effect.

The top of the aquaroll is open with just the comet pump/pipe lowered into it. Is it possible to buy a different sealed top for the aquaroll - that would allow the pump tube to pass through whist forming a water tight seal?

This would prevent the water overspilling, although i presume it would then be necesary to provide an air vent also.

I'm not sure if that might end up creating an Aquaroll water bomb, though an air vent is likely to automatically become a water vent too and not solve the problem.

I found this https://www.caravantalk.co.uk/community/...ter-and-things/

and this

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/foru...ty-Water/29833/

HTH

PS the thought struck me that you're not using the system as intended. If it was connected to mains pressure as designed then that pressure would be constant and no backflow possible. Running it from an Aquaroll means that backflow is possible and siphonage will empty everything. Can you run water from the Aquaroll into the vans internal tank without the back flow occurring?

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG

Last edited Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:28 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:01 am
by Bathchap | 51 Posts

I am not sure of the configuration of your system but I seem to recall that someone had a similar issue with the water siphoning back into the aquaroll and it was fixed by a one way valve that should have been installed at manufacture being inserted. Red Lion need to give you further guidance on the system operation perhaps a short video from them may help?

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:04 am
by ajsms999 | 41 Posts

Just looked at the plumbing behind the external 'comet' socket - no non return valve fitted - it just comes in and goes to a 'T' into the existing plumbing. I am certain that's my problem. - Thanks everyone
Does anyone know what size the standard pipework is?
I can find both 12mm & 10mm NRV's readily available.

Regards
Andrew

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:20 pm
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.018 Posts

I think the clue is, in a sense, in the name. The 'city' is meant to imply that the facility is for connecting mains water pressure taps to, not Aquarolls. I doubt UK water authorities would agree but the design expects having to limit inward high pressure and doesn't concern itself with backflow because connected to the mains there wouldn't any.
Following on from that, if you do wish to use water from an Aquaroll, can it not be set up just to supply to the internal tank and water for inside the van drawn off from that?

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:24 pm
by JohnE (deleted)

Hi Andrew, it does appear that a non-return valve should be fitted in the pipework and also one should be included in the on-board tank pump.

Comet System.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) (inner canister = on-board tank)

Your pipework will be 10mm internal diameter.

likes this post!
Last edited Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:34 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:51 pm
by JohnE (deleted)

Quote: eribaMotters wrote in post #3
I look forward to the answer so on how the "City Fill" works.
Colin, the Comet City Fill is a different housing to the inlet Andrew is having trouble with.

Comet Service Hatches

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:49 pm

Thanks John. I think I have the "3500.06.19 Service hatch for water inlet" or something that looks very similar. Why one got fitted I do not know as I had not ordered it.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:59 pm
by JohnE (deleted)

They seem to be a standard fit recently - I noticed one on a new 540 I'm fitting extra 230V sockets to.

Was the Comet pump that plugs into the housing included?

Last edited Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:00 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:55 pm

Yes, I was given a hose and pump lead.

Colin

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:06 pm
by ajsms999 | 41 Posts

Thanks JohnE & Colin,

That seems to solve my problem - there is no NRV on the external supply connection. Seems another one forgotten by Hymer!! Caravan is brand new - built in March 22.

The connection is not the city fill & is supplied with the comet submersibe pump - as per Colin's description.

Regards
Andrew

Scroll up

Visitors
5 Members and 45 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12660 topics and 106601 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 5