Caravan parking when stopping at motorway services

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:01 am
by Simboc2004 | 713 Posts

Having just done around 600 miles to Devon and back I am minded to get people's views on stopping at motorway services with a caravan. Our last stop yesterday was at the Extra A1 Baldock Services (J10) and I was initially delighted to see a caravan parking area with a very large sign saying that anyone parking in it without a caravan would get a £100 fine. Excellent, I thought. The parking slots, however were literally just long enough to take my Triton plus Volvo V70 tow car (total length 10m exactly) and only just wide enough. Suely you couldn't fit most units in the space available? Sure enough, as we went back to our car, another caravan arrived (not sure what, but certainly not a large unit by today's standards) towed by a VW Touran. They had to overhang by a metre. What were Extra doing when they decided this? Madness.

After several French autoroute (serviced) aire flybys in the past, where the caravan spaces were all taken by cars on their own, meaning we had to move on several times until we could find one where we could park, it was so good to see an initiative to stop "our" spaces being blocked to us.

Anyone else had similar experiences?Or recommend good places to stop off? I'm sure there aren't enough spaces being set aside - 4 at the aforementioned services, 4 at M25/A1M South Mimms services (they must get far more caravan visitors than that). Is it worth a campaign?

Rant over...

Simon

Athena, now renamed Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...
Scroll up

RE: Caravan parking when stopping at motorway services

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:40 pm
by AlanC | 101 Posts

As we live in Bristol and have family in the west midlands and soon to be the northeast, we use the M5 a lot. It has become a 'thing' that we stop at Gloucester Services, either on the way up or back, partly for the restaurant and partly for the farm shop.

Both north and south services have a very good separate caravan/motorhome park only a short walk from the main buildings.

If I remember correctly Tebay is equally good for us caravaners if tucked round the back a little.

I won't buy fuel from any motorway services though, way too expensive.

Alan

Liz and Alan
Troll 530 Touring 2015 now pushing a Honda CR-V

Williebraveheart likes this post!
Last edited Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:41 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:29 pm
by Williebraveheart | 351 Posts
Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

I tow to Devon from Glasgow twice a year. I make a point of stopping for an overnight at Gloucester Southbound services. They have a large Caravan "only" section and are one of the best service areas in the UK. Same people own Tebay. During the fuel crisis last September they both openly advertised that they were not affected by the shortage and all were welcome to stop and fill up. I topped up at Gloucester Northbound and again at Tebay and had a hassle free journey. Just back from first trip this year and did the same again. Paid 219p for premium diesel. Charnock Richard Northbound on the M6 have a designated caravan parking area but it is just a lottery whether it is full of vans and cars or caravans. I general I find that motorway service areas don't give a toss about caravans. At the Canny Scot services on the M74 three years ago I could not get a space in their caravan area. It was full of lorries. I complained at the services and they just said I was free to park in the truck area. Sent an e-mail to their head office and got no reply.

2019 Troll 535GT Fixed Bed. Mercedes GLA 220d 4Matic
Simboc2004 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:20 pm
by AlanC | 101 Posts

It is true that if you eat at Tebay or Gloucester services they offer at the till a discount card on fuel from their petrol stations.

Alan

Liz and Alan
Troll 530 Touring 2015 now pushing a Honda CR-V

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:27 am
by Simboc2004 | 713 Posts

I have noticed a trend to put the caravan parking area furthest from the services. I'm happy with this if it means spaces you can use!

Athena, now renamed Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:32 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.473 Posts

Make sure you fit your wheel clamp and hitch lock if leaving the Eriba unattended. Your insurance company will wriggle out of a claim if the worst happens otherwise. Don’t think it’s a real risk but you can’t be too careful.

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
FINNWOODY, Simboc2004 and John Cross like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:29 pm
by John Cross | 267 Posts

Last year we stopped at South Mimms on our way home, I have never left a caravan unattended at a services and won't.
While parked up, I had two dodgy looking blokes appear at the back of the van and started looking at it. As soon as they spotted me sat in the car, they turned tail and cleared off.

2005 Troll 540 and 1994 LR Discovery 1 Fred and Diane
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:39 am
by Old Rocker | 522 Posts

The services on the A1 at Wetherby have dedicated caravan spaces and whenever we have stopped a warden moving people on if trying to park without a trailer or caravan

2022 Troll 530, Volvo XC60 2,4 R design

Yesterday is just a memory, tomorrow's never what it's supposed to be
Simboc2004, Stan Doori and Williebraveheart like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:29 pm
by Stan Doori | 221 Posts

Skelton Lake services junction 45 M1 near Leeds is great for caravans. Dedicated parking spaces for caravans. It's only opened in the last couple of years new and is always pleasant experience.

Triton 430 1997 Jubilé
Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 99 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12659 topics and 106590 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1