Window leak

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:46 am
by wooliew (deleted)

Has anyone had this problem? If I have the caravan perfectly level rainwater runs over the top of the gutter (rather than the drainage point) and leaks in to the van from around the window frame. Always the same place, the gutters are clear and if I use the jockey wheel to put the van on a slight rear incline the problem goes away. Any thoughts and or solutions other than sloping the caravan?

Scroll up

RE: Window leak

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:06 am
by Julie Grafo | 3.473 Posts

We had water leaking in through the front window. Examination by JohnE discovered the awning rail had come away from the body ( he said it’s quite common as vans get older). He removed and then refitted the rail, no problem since. Don’t know how old your van is, maybe an issue?

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:23 pm
by wooliew (deleted)

My van is 8 years old, the rain runs over the top of the gutter rather than behind it.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:07 am
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

Just did a quick check on ours with a watering can. With the gutters level (checked with spirit level), the drain holes work ok. If there was sufficient rain the gutter will become full and overflow. On mine it tended to begin to overflow near the bend at the front between the windows which makes sense as the edge won't be completely level there.

Even if the gutter is overflowing though, the window shouldn't leak so I would suggest having the window seal checked as heavy rain wouldn't always be confined to the gutter.

Triton 420 towed by a Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:53 pm
by wooliew (deleted)

Thanks, will get it checked.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:37 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.797 Posts

Are you sure the window is leaking? The high level brake light is a common source of water penetration and can be mistaken for a leaking window.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Simboc2004 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:43 am
by GCL | 123 Posts

This thing happened to me too. I thought it was the window seal, then the channel above and it was the third brake light instead. Sealed that all solved.

Land Rover Discovery3, 2003 Eriba Triton 430
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:50 am
by wooliew (deleted)

Pretty sure it is the window, water runs over the gutter and penetrates around the seal.. As sooon as I put a slight incline on the van the problem goes away.

Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 89 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12659 topics and 106590 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2