Wheel clamps

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:02 pm
by scot_camper (deleted)

Just going through the pain of caravan insurance renewal… Predictably the issue of a wheel clamp/lock came up! I currently don't have one. So here's the question, has anybody had good experience sourcing a wheel clamp/lock for an Eriba Troll 530 "Ocean Drive" with steel wheels and hubcaps? It would appear you either have to remove the hub cap to place the security device or alternatively risk scratching the hub caps with a device that encompasses wheel and hub caps. Is the latter option less secure?

Thanks for any help, John

IMG_3012.jpeg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

2021 Troll 530, "Ocean Drive" - Banchory, Scotland

Last edited Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:40 pm | Scroll up

RE: Wheel clamps

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:34 pm
by rambling robin (deleted)

https://www.towsure.com/caravan-accessor...caravan-trailer has pretty much all the different types.

TBH the hubcap is going to make it hard and it may just be better to wrap them up warm somewhere and go from there.

I use a Milenco Compact and Nemesis Ultra - but that's on alloy wheels. I used the Milenco on my steel rimmed Triton too.

Rather genteel 2004 Troll 540GT called Matilda pushing a couple of old fogies.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:48 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.403 Posts

Your insurance company usually specify a minimum of two safety devices. Most go for hitch lock and wheel clamp. As above, you will have to remove the hubcaps and they can be a pain to replace. My guess is the friction fit would eventually wear and you would loose the hubcap. I'd be tempted to contact your insurance company and ask what alternative measures you can use. An alarm or corner steady locks might be an alternative.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:58 pm
by stujham | 4 Posts

I put grey carpet trim on my bulldog wheel clamp with spray glue to stop scratching the wheel covers, worked a treat!

Actually not a Bulldog but Maypole clamp,

eribaMotters, and Simboc2004 like this post!
Last edited Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:03 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:20 am
by scot_camper (deleted)

Thanks Colin, yes there may an alternative way round this - I'll ask them, if I have the energy to get past the phone queue!

2021 Troll 530 "Ocean Drive" - Banchory, Scotland
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:23 am
by scot_camper (deleted)

I was wondering much the same (I always used bits of carpet to protect boat trailering). Maypole + carpet + spray glue 👍

Thanks, John.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:25 am
by scot_camper (deleted)

Thanks, may be I'll have to consign the hub caps to the great garage store in the sky…

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:40 pm
by Robferry | 4 Posts

Don’t know if you’re still looking but we used a Milenco lightweight wheel clamp with stick on felt pads (used for furniture protection I think, maybe bought at IKEA), which are thin enough to work over our Ocean Drive hubcaps. That plus hitch lock seemed enough to satisfy insurance, and no scratches on hubcap 👍

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:39 am
by GCL | 123 Posts

Excuse my curiosity. I've wanted to ask for a long time but never dared. Now I take courage and ask you, why do you use these wheel clamps? I often see these contraptions on northern European caravas. I can understand if you leave your caravan parked on the side of the road but not on campsites, for what purpose? Excuse me again.

Land Rover Discovery3, 2003 Eriba Triton 430
Randa france, Simboc2004 and granddadgrape like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:07 am
by eribaMotters | 5.403 Posts

Giancarlo,
in the Uk our insurance companies would appear to be a lot more demanding on anti-theft measures and the premiums we pay.
Many companies specify two security measures when the van is left unattended for typically more than 20 minutes. On newer vans costing £25K and over it is not uncommon to request a third measure such as alarm system or tracker. Newer owners could also be looking at premiums of £600+

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Randa france and Simboc2004 like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:16 am
by Randa france | 13.048 Posts

Quote: GCL wrote in post #9
Excuse my curiosity. I've wanted to ask for a long time but never dared. Now I take courage and ask you, why do you use these wheel clamps? I often see these contraptions on northern European caravas. I can understand if you leave your caravan parked on the side of the road but not on campsites, for what purpose? Excuse me again.

I'm glad you asked Giancarlo as when we travel in Europe we feel very self conscious about the amount of trouble we need to go to to protect our Insurance cover. We can almost hear the giggles we must get from fellow campers. The fact is that UK Insurance Companies charge as much as they can for cover and even then they expect folk to go to extremes to stop their property from being liberated.

Without going too deeply into the subject it would be interesting to know how much you need to pay for insurance in Italy?

Do you know that we are not even allowed to stop for a pee break with the Eriba hitched onto the car unless we apply a wheel lock to the van?

I don't know if you remember the days when Brits used to have to carry steering wheel locks for thier cars everywhere and used them whenever they left the car unattended.

Whai is laughable is that with all this 21st Century technology cars in the UK are now being stolen by thieves breaking into people's houses to steal the car keys. The recommended solution? A steering wheel lock

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Simboc2004 likes this post!
Last edited Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:20 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:48 am
by GCL | 123 Posts

Image 1.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)For my Tritone 430 I pay a total of €73.18. I have an agreement that gives me a 25% discount

Land Rover Discovery3, 2003 Eriba Triton 430

Last edited Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:49 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:15 am
by Julie Grafo | 3.473 Posts

How much 😲
We’re being well and truly ripped off by the UK insurance industry.😡

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:23 am
by Randa france | 13.048 Posts

How old is your Eriba Giancarlo? I will need to try and translate your cover note to compare it with what we pay in the UK.

In the UK we can expect to pay more than £150 and that's for an older Eriba.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Last edited Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:29 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:29 am
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.731 Posts

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #14
How old is your Eriba Giancarlo? I will need to try and translate your cover note to compare it with what we pay in the UK.

In the UK we can expect to pay more than £150 and that's for an older Eriba.

Randa
Comparing insurance premiums is notoriously difficult because there are so many variables. You've alluded to that yourself.

So many variables that you'll often get a different quote for the same van from the same company half an hour later on the same day.

On the face of it, it looks as if premiums in Italy are cheaper, but in this particular context I reckon that Italian apples are almost impossible to compare to British oranges.

We pay a squeak over £150 for a Troll that's newer rather than older - with Ripe, for what it's worth - but then the criteria that determined our premium won't be the same as anyone else's.

I'm not suggesting that we shouldn't be feeling like the insurance companies are taking us roughly from behind, because I'm sure that in some circumstances they are.

All I am saying is that finding a level playing field on which to make a realistic comparison is very, very difficult.

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 87 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12659 topics and 106590 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2