Towing in Switzerland - Tempo 100 - Type Approval

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:26 pm
by Bob (deleted)

Hi
I have a 2019 Troll 540 which I am planning on towing through Switzerland with my BMW 435d (total wt <3.5t).

I have seen that the normal max. towing speed is 80kph BUT I have found info here* (all in German) that since Jan 2021 it is possible to tow at 100 kph on motorways if your caravan has type approval for 100kph. This exception is usually referred to as "Tempo 100".

The website helpfully shows examples of type approval documentation that you can use to prove you are legit to the local constabulary!

Now, my problem is, where can I obtain a copy of the Troll 540 Type Approval certificates?

I have looked through all my documentation without success so have written to both Hymer in Germany and Leisure First. Has anyone successfully obtained these documents before?

*https://www.tcs.ch/de/camping-reisen/cam...r-anhaenger.php

Last edited Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:33 pm | Scroll up

RE: Towing in Switzerland - Tempo 100 - Type Approval

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:56 am
by GCL | 123 Posts

Some Italian colleagues have made this "Tempo 100" homologation. To obtain it, they went to ADAC o TUV centers in Germany, taking advantage of a period of vacation. They had to present a whole series of documents which, if I'm not mistaken, concerned the caravan, the tires, the braking system and even the car. I certainly know that all trains, cars and caravans are homologated, and I don't want to use the 100 if you have a different car. There are not many countries where it is possible to use the 100. Remember that even if you have the homologation in Italy, for example, it is not recognized and you have to go at 80 km / h.

Land Rover Discovery3, 2003 Eriba Triton 430

Last edited Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:10 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:22 pm
by Bob (deleted)

Thanks for the reply.
One of the key statements in the website I shared in my first post is that for approval on Swiss motorways there is no need to visit the road traffic office. It translates as " Whether the trailer has a 100 km/h approval can be determined from the type approval. In order to be allowed to drive at 100 km/h, there is no need for a test at the road traffic office." The last part being the most important and that's why I am trying to obtain the TA documents.

I spoke with Leisure First today and they couldn't help so now hoping for something from Hymer...if/when they reply.

Looking like I'll be stuck with the 80kph limit. This is particularly frustrating when I consider that I can legally tow at 130kph in neighbouring France.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:02 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.404 Posts

Bob,
be warned about the towing speeds. In dry conditions some can tow in France at 130kph, but would you really consider this to be safe.
The 3.5t or 3,500kg gross train weight also refers to the theoretical gross weight plate on the van and not the actual gross weight, which could be a lot less if running light as you may be.
Towing at 50mph does have it's advantages in we have seen 40mpg pulling a 1200kg Triton behind a 1.5 petrol Audi A3.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:54 pm
by Bob (deleted)

Yes. Good points.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:17 am
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.018 Posts

Is the information required not shown in the Certificate of Compliance which is supposed to be supplied to all first owners as part of the Type Approval process. It contains a mass of detail about the van and is a sort of document of official record. Sadly, although it's been a requirement for more than a decade, UK caravan dealerships (and car dealers too) are only just waking up to its importance and there's very low awareness amongst actual owners. I believe a copy should be available from the manufacturer, though it may cost.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG

Last edited Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:18 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:37 am
by Bob (deleted)

I agree entirely. That's exactly what I am after.
As I mentioned above, I've written to Hymer and await their reply.

Scroll up

Visitors
6 Members and 47 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12660 topics and 106601 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 6