New Tow Car

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:37 pm
by Biscuit (deleted)

Hi everyone

I am coming to the end of my lease for my car. To renew most are electric and petrol.
Which seems to be making it complicated to me about what I need.

Been looking at the new Ford Toureno Connect same as the. VW Caddie as Ford & VW join together to make new model
With it being a new vehicle no reviews etc and not much information on these new vehicles.

Been on the web to ask anyone if they used a Caddie as a towing car Nothing
So tbought I would ask the experts

Maximum braked weight of up to 1500 kg

Is this enough for a Eriba?

Not had a caravan for years,

Thank, appreciate any help
Pat

Scroll up

RE: New Tow Car

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:20 pm
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.018 Posts

If you're talking about an Eriba Touring range van, currently IIRC the max upgraded MTPLM for a Touring range caravan is 1400kg, which is for a Troll whose standard MTPLM is 1300kg. Other Touring range vans have lower maximums and earlier Trolls also had lower max weights too.

Personally I like to keep a bit of a margin on a car's towing limit, so I'd be looking for a 1500kg towing limit for a caravan with a max weight of 1300kg.

IIRC the previous generation Tourneos had pretty low towing limits, but I wasn't even aware there was a new generation due.

Rule of thumb is that you add the GVW of the towcar, plus the MTPLM of the caravan and divide the result into the car's power rating (PS). if it's less than 40PS per tonne then it'll perform badly and be a pain to drive. The more you can get over 40 the better. A similar calculation can be done with torque, though in that case the magic figure is 60lb ft per tonne and the nearer you can get to 80lb ft per tonne the better.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:51 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.403 Posts

Pat, I moved to from diesel to a 1.5 petrol Audi A3 in 2019. It has 250N/m torque and 150bhp. I tow a 1200kg Triton and it's a joy. The flexibility of the petrol engine and torque over a wider rev range than modern diesels makes for a very relaxed tow. Coming back from Harwich to Merseyside a couple of weeks ago it returned a true 39mpg, car and van both fully loaded. I typically return 34-36 mpg.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:51 am
by Biscuit (deleted)

Thanks for your replies
The new Toureno Connect are now in Ford dealers.
The exact same as the VW Caddy but there is also the Grand.8

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:58 am
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.018 Posts

I've just checked out the Ford website on the Tourneo Connect. Weirdly the info seems to be a mix of the new model and the previous generation stuff. The downloadable brochures are the previous generation, so the towing limits are irrelevant. The main info doesn't contain anything about towing weights and if you spec. a car the braked towing data is blank.
Certainly the 114PS 1.5 petrol sounds as if it will have a low towing limit and there's not a lot of power there for pulling. The diesel version looks the better bet but detail is lacking.
Whether Ford homologate their versions with the same towing limits as VW is unknown.
Looking at the VW Caddy Life they give all their engine versions a 1500kg towing limit which does look dodgy from a performance point of view. For instance the petrol 114PS has a GVW of 2.15 tonnes and add in a 1.5 tonne tow load and you get 3.65 tonnes. Divide 114PS by 3.65 and you've got a ratio of 31 PS per tonne when the recommended minimum is 40. Even if you have a 1300kg Troll you're still talking about 114/3.45=33PS per tonne. Go down to a 1000kg Triton and that ratio becomes 114/3.15= 36PS per tonne. So despite VW saying it will pull 1500kg it will be dire at that weight. The torque may help a bit as the petrol produces 220NM, which equates to 60Nm per tonne at 1500kg tow load which is on the cusp of acceptable.
The diesels fare little better on power but on torque the 122PS is better, producing 320Nm, so at max tow load the ratio would be 320/3.65=88Nm per tonne so it can wind up a rig OK but the lack of PS means it'll be a bit breathless and run out of puff.
My thought would be, if you like the model, then try and find an early used Caddy 122PS diesel, rather than a new Ford and save yourself a whole bundle of money.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG

Steve and Debbie likes this post!
Last edited Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:02 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:35 am

Working through the essay above. If you want a tow car with good internal space and have considered a VW, then what about a Touran. This has the excellent 1.5 petrol engine, is huge inside, small footprint, towing capacity meets requirements, discounts on new are still available, Whatcar award winner etc. The one drawback it has are it's availability only as a 7 seater. This is easy to remedy and we took ours out and carried a spare full size wheel in the huge boot
I ran a diesel version for 10 years and it probably the best family vehicle I have owned. Randa bought his on my advice and is equally impressed.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

addisb likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:47 pm
by Twix (deleted)

I have a 2019 420GT unrated to 1200kg, albeit other than motor mover and spare wheel not much extra weight added. I have been towing it happily with a Discovery Sport 240HP diesel. I have had a Lexus NX 350h AWD ordered since last July and it’s now in build. Thought i was fine as tow weight limit is 1500kg but have discovered that max tow ball noseweight is 60kg. Empty the Triton is 65kg noseweight and i can fiddle with the internal load to get it to 60kg. Dealer is clueless on towing. Anyone any experience in this situation? Caravan Club seemed pretty relaxed when i phoned the helpline. They just said play around with the internal loading to get it under 60kg. Which i did today and as said before can get it to 60kg

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:12 pm

Once you get it at 60kg you will be fine.
My last three tow cars have all been Golf based. They are VW Touran, Skoda Yeti and currently Audi A3, all with tow ball limit of 75kg.
With these I have towed 500kg Camplet trailer tent, 1300kg Troll, 900kg Familia and currently 1200kg Triton.
All have towed best around 55kg noseweight, so I aim for 55/60kg.

Colin

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:08 pm
by Twix (deleted)

Great. Thanks for the advice.

Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 63 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12660 topics and 106594 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1