Fridge problems

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:25 am
by bradbos | 31 Posts

I have a 1999 eriba triton 430.
We usually use ehu but I wanted to check out the fridge on gaz.
So I followed instructions and even phoned up first leisure but I can't get the fridge to work.
I think it's really hard to see the pilot light anyway...
Have tried taking off the vent,spraying electric wd40 onto wires and even had my wife hold the flame control in whilst I tried lighting it with a long lighter.
All to no avail ...
Any ideas welcome
Thanks peter

Scroll up

RE: Fridge problems

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:26 am
by bradbos | 31 Posts

BTW
All other gaz appliances work

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:02 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.797 Posts

Some people use a cardboard tube to look down so that they can see the pilot flame, one from, say, a roll of cling film or kitchen paper.

You can also usually hear the gas 'pop' as it tries to light.

I've heard of the pilot jet being blocked by spiders but never having had to clear mine, am unable to advise.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:46 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.403 Posts

As above, they are known for being problematic. We have got into the habit of getting it to run on gas a couple of times a year, only for a couple of minutes.
Another issue could be if the van is not sitting level. I know this is important on electric, but unsure if the same applies on gas.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:51 pm
by JohnE (deleted)

If gas isn't getting to the burner's flame port it's more than likely the jet is blocked.

The fridge probably has its original burner and jet, and as it's bobbing on for 23 years old I would recommend both these be replaced.

I did the very same job on a Triton's RM4230 fridge just yesterday and also cleaned out the very sooted flue pipe. I also cleaned out the gas valve to burner pipework as this can get rusty, and it's the small rust flakes which tend to block the jet.

It's always a good idea to run the fridge on gas for the first couple of hours on site which not only keeps the pipework and burner clear, but also gives confidence the system's working in the event of 230V element failure.

These RM4xxx series fridges use very little gas - about 300 grammes/24hrs - and what you see through the sight glass isn't a pilot flame - it's the real deal.

The fridge should be reasonably level when operating, but being at a jaunty angle won't prevent the burner from igniting, it just means the fluid in the cooling matrix won't circulate as it should.

And I've yet to see any spider's webs fluffing up a burner.

Last edited Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:16 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:17 pm
by bradbos | 31 Posts

To replace the burner and jet did you have to take the fridge out or can you get to it by removing the lower vent.
Easy ish job ?

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:29 pm
by JohnE (deleted)

I find it quicker to pull the fridge out rather than struggle to carry out open-vent surgery.

Also it means I can check the 12V, 230V, gas and thermocouple connections behind the front panel. And cleaning the burner flue pipe would be difficult with the fridge in situ.

Removing the fridge does entail disconnecting the gas pipe, so a mandatory gas tightness test is carried out after reinstallation.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:05 pm

Quote: JohnE wrote in post #5
And I've yet to see any spider's webs fluffing up a burner.

Aranea frigipipus isn't found as far north as The Wirral, John.

Forum Administrator

Last edited Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:06 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:10 pm
by JohnE (deleted)

Quote: Aaron Calder wrote in post #8
Aranea frigipipus isn't found as far north as The Wirral
Try Dock Road, Birkenhead on a Saturday night next time you're up here, Brian.

scouteralf likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:07 pm
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.018 Posts

It's one of the urban myths of caravanning that if the caravan isn't level the fridge won't light on gas, or the 240V won't run. Actually they'd both probably run if the caravan was upside down but it's the refrigerant gas/fluid inside the fridge that doesn't like being out of true and can stop circulating and thereby stops the fridge from chilling.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:16 pm

When we had a VW Type25 camper, one of the 'fixes' for a recalcitrant fridge was to remove it and turn it upside down for a while before replacing it.

I did that one very hot evening on a site in France and in the morning when Mrs C opened the door the butter poured out onto her feet.

'Fix', my arse.

Forum Administrator
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 48 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12659 topics and 106590 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0