Caravan hook up "Splitters".

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:34 pm
by Randa france | 13.049 Posts

We are currently on a lovely C and MH Club site on the Scottish Borders and for the first time ever we have been told we can't use a splitter. It was frowned on once by another C and MH warder (sorry, warden) but we got away with it on that occasion.
What the chap on this site is saying that whatever the arguement, Rule ??? 54879 appendix A of the rule book states that there should be NO join on the mains lead between the EHU and the van. that means one lead, no joins or no splitters. Therefore if your lead is not long enough, tough.
Anyway, back to the splitter.
My arguement is that these Y shaped splitters are professionally manufactured along with the other plugs and sockets designed to carry powe from post to van. We have the added benefit that we used a fused junction box/plug bank on the other end of the splitter which goes directly to the awning. Therefore if something in the awning overloads then it it is separately fused. Likewise the van. So from the EHU to the awning, only one join, from the EHU to the van, two joins ( the second where it connects to the van).
The way these guys want it is that there is only one connection to the van, then there must be a second in the van to the control box. Then a third from control box to a 13 amp plug, then a forth from inside plug to outside connection.
It's OK for me to use our camping plug bank if plugged in through the window of the van necessitating yet another connection converting a 13amp plug into a blue EHU connecting socket. How mad is that?
Another thing to beware of is the fact that there are some EHU plugged leads on the market where the plug in collar on the plug is about 3 mm shorter in depth. This means that on campsites where you are asked to plug and twist to the right to switch on, the collar is not long enough to perform the operation.
The guy on the next pitch suffered this so had to go and purchase a new lead. He was also ticked of coz he only had a 1.5 cable and not a 2.5 one.

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Simboc2004 and campnsnooze like this post!
Scroll up

RE: Caravan hook up "Splitters".

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:58 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.404 Posts

Roger,
the only information I can readily find on the C&MC website is here:- https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/advice-and...l-installation/
It does not mention joins but does suggest one continuous cable so you may well be out of luck:- "One end connects to the caravan inlet, the other plugs into the site socket."
But there is no mention of cable cross sectional area. They do mention cable must be 25m +/- 2m and it must be fully unwound. They also mention "Although the caravan installation is designed for a maximum current of 16 Amp, some sites may limit the maximum current loading per caravan to a lower figure, usually 10 Amp in the UK" A fully unwound cross sectional area core of 1.5mm will take a load of 20amp in open air, so I know what my reaction would have been as the cable can safely carry in excess of what is being supplied at the bollard..
If you want to "get even", then quote "The maximum permitted distance between socket outlet and any point on the caravan pitch is 20 metres" That any point could well be at the edge of your pitch as it meets the road and I would suspect exceeds the 20m rule.
You could also ask him for certification to demonstrate "The distribution and supply of electrical power in the UK, as well as wiring installations in buildings, caravan sites and caravans is governed by the British Standard BS7671, 2001."

Best of luck with the jobsworth.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

scouteralf likes this post!
Last edited Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:02 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:20 am
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.018 Posts

You agree to their rules when you book. They can impose whatever restrictions they wish, over and above any national regs

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:27 am

True, but there rules need to be readily available, clear and transparent. It would appear they are not and this has been evidenced with similar differences of opinion with wardens over issues across sites, eg, nose in or out.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:43 am
by Aaron Calder | 3.797 Posts

I seem to recall that in Europe all EHU cables must be 25m 2.5mm 16A.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:24 am
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

That's not so in France. Some campsites require you to have miles of cable - Yann reckons we were 50M away from the socket in Chinon. Where we are at the moment, it's about 3m so Yann has put a short cable.

Betty, 1998 Triton 430 and Colin, a Renault Mégane.
Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:02 am
by eribanaut | 1.228 Posts

Never seen that one enforced in Europe.
Dave

Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 150 Tdi DSG Troll 552 - 2005
Don't worry about the destination, enjoy the journey.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:33 pm
by Old Rocker | 522 Posts

I mentioned it in another post but the same happened at CMC Hunters Moon with us. Pitched up found our cable wouldn't reach so joined 2 together as in France. Next morning Warden advised us not allowed, but loaned us a 30m cable for our stay.
I also enquired with CMC if the waterproof connector boxes were allowed but was also told not.

2022 Troll 530, Volvo XC60 2,4 R design

Yesterday is just a memory, tomorrow's never what it's supposed to be
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:43 pm

If it has a BS number on with the correct numbers I'm still amazed the C&MC can say no to the use of these bits.
In your case, if the lead you had was 25m I'd have asked for a C&MC compliant pitch and refused the lead, but I'm just intolerant.

Colin

Simboc2004 likes this post!
Last edited Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:44 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:37 pm
by JefL | 95 Posts

It's also interesting that some sites won't allow joined cables on the grounds the plug/socket is a safety hazzard if it gets wet, yet the same standard of socket is what they provide the supply from, so how is that too not a safety hazzard when it rains. They are all IP44 rating which is approved for outdoor use.

On another point on an independent site in Wales recently we were asked to pitch nose out as that was a condition of their site licence, they gave us a pitch with more space around it than most so it wasn't a problem.

Jef
Freelander 2 and Big Ben, the 410
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:01 pm
by Inspecta_Gadget | 264 Posts

Although I too think some of this is plain daft, I can see the logic with not using extended cables with blue connectors as they are laid on the floor, so intense rain could cause problems whereas the sockets on the van and feeders are raised off the ground.
When I’ve used a splitter before, I hid it under the van and used a 3m cable up to the inlet, if you leave the spare cable in a messy heap just at the edge, it’s not easy to notice the blue splitter, especially if you hide it behind the waste tank. 😂🤣😂

Randa france, Simboc2004 and campnsnooze like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:04 am
by Randa france | 13.049 Posts

Like you Steve, we always have the splitter under the van with a short lead to van and another to awning. It's raised up off the ground, normally on our spare cable reel.
Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:19 am
by Eribacamper | 112 Posts

Interesting reading. I've always used a splitter that I plug straight into the EHU on the van, plug the camp EHU into the splitter and an extention also into the splitter that I run under the van into the awning. Never had a problem but on reading through this thread I'll be looking at being more discrete when using the splitter in future.

Steve, Debbie & Teddie the poodle

Toyota Hilux Invincible, 2014 Troll 550.

G4HBA
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:39 am

Until retirement we had traditionally used the Eriba in France over the summer. As pitches could be a long way from a bollard we used a 45m cable reel with a plug for the bollard. The reel was unwound into the awning or a container under the van. If needed we could plug a short reverse polarity correction lead into the reel. From here a 4m cable went into the vans exterior hook up and if needed a lead would feed the boys pup tents or awning. I used a plug in rcd on theses leads.
We have still continued with this method for France, but in the UK do use a standard 25m lead as we have not had any issues with bollard to van distance.

Colin

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:35 pm
by Old Rocker | 522 Posts

have asked for a C&MC compliant pitch and refused the lead, but I'm just intolerant.

It was next morning, we were already set up

2022 Troll 530, Volvo XC60 2,4 R design

Yesterday is just a memory, tomorrow's never what it's supposed to be
Simboc2004 likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 25 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12660 topics and 106601 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3