Touring in Germany

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:40 pm
by GeoffH (deleted)

Hi all, this is my first post :-), Does anyone have advice about touring in Germany?

We're taking our Troll 530 there next week, initial target is Sanssouci zu Potsdam, the pitches are fully serviced, so I'm thinking of taking a take a couple of metres of waste hose 28.5mm to connect to the grey water drain. For my onbord water tank I've ordered 7.5mtr of flat water hose, hope that will be long enough. I need to join a campsite organisation with an app that has online booking. Maybe I should call CAMC, they may know.

Any tips gratefully received

Randa france and Simboc2004 like this post!
Scroll up

RE: Touring in Germany

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:45 am
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

Betty, 1998 Triton 430 and Colin, a Renault Mégane.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:36 am
by Randa france | 13.048 Posts

We've not camped in Potsdam but very close by.
What a fabulous place with all its Palaces.
We moved there from a campsite to the south east of Berlin (near a big lake), which we found was easier to visit the Capital from as there were many Park and Ride trains nearby. The campsite management were particularly helpful by providing us with a comprehensive map and excellent instructions on getting to the railway station car park.
Are you doing other places? If so I the east we strongly recommend Dresden and Colditz which is close by. Also Lutherstadt Wittenberg.
Any where else please ask and we'll see what we can do.
Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Simboc2004 likes this post!
Last edited Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:39 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:11 am
by Morphy | 972 Posts

Morphy

New Troll 540GT on the way Silver Skoda Octavia Scout residing in sunny Lancashire.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:45 pm
by GeoffH (deleted)

Thanks Randa, how do you book campsites? I just got the ACSI books thru the post ttoday, they have about 200 sites in Germany, am going to try them online and via their app.

Its about 30 yrs since we last toured in Europe, we didn't need to book in those days unless it was a site on the coast. Does that still work, can we just rock up at the end of the day and ask if they have any spaces?

Geoff
Silver Troll & Volvo

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:30 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.403 Posts

Geoff, since retiring I have used mainly ACSI sites. This year we did 4 weeks in Holland over June/July. I did not plan to book but was advised this was close to high season and as we wanted to stay for periods of a week or so it was best to do so. If we had only wanted to stay a few days on each site I would not have bothered. It would also have saved me a booking fee, that you still need to pay even if using ACSI.
Some sites you can book through the ACSI site, but unfortunately not for our chosen sites. I contacted sites directly and booked online with a photo proof of ACSI card which resulted in the reduced rates being charged, any corrections usually being applied when I paid the balance. One problem doing this is although you can pay a deposit on the credit card the balance if required before you arrive could be by IBAN bank transfer, which is a pain.
If camping out of season I would bookmark a few sites in each of the areas you plan to visit. If you roll up and they have no places or do not look brilliant just drive to the next.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:50 am
by Randa france | 13.048 Posts

Hi Geoff. Apart from the first site abroad, we don't bother to book others and we've only once been turned away because they were full. That's in 13 years.

Normally the ACSI "Acceptance Period" doesn't apply from early July through August.

Almost all countries consider anytime other than the above dates as "Low Season." The two exceptions are Germany and Austria and each "State" (Department) in those countries has different Holy Days. We had a laugh with a young German Family when we were camping near Nuremburg and only managed to squeeze into a campsite overflow field in June. When we asked them which Saint they were celebrating, thier answer was "we don't know and who cares, we call them Happy Cadaver days"

Take a look a this example of a German ACSI campsite https://www.campingcard.co.uk/germany/rh...agmuhle-102119/

If you pan down the page to the "Acceptance Period" the dates in white squares are not periods where you can benefit from ACSI. This will apply to any ACSI site you will look up throughtout Europe. Note also the Average Rating number in the orange square beside the photograph. We try not to go to a campsite that has less than a 7.5 rating as there is normally plenty of choice.

Also please note that if you are planning an ACSI based trip for next year, the campsites may still be there but the numbers will be different. The campsite I've used as an example is ACSI 620 this year (see number in blue oval shape in orange band.)

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Last edited Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:56 am | Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 14 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12659 topics and 106590 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1