Corner steady nut/bush

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:02 pm
by Aycee | 36 Posts

Wound down the rear nearside steady this afternoon and it continued to turn and click. On closer examination the nut/bush that slides up the thread had split in two. I removed the steady and got the broken nut out.
The problem is I cannot source a replacement. They are available for Alko steadies (16mm or 20mm nuts) but the BPW steadies that are fitted to the Troll have a thread of 18.6mm. The part number of the complete leg is QV-098-12. I have spoken to Taunton Trailers who say they may be able to order one from Germany if they are avaliable but it would take 4-6 months!
Was hoping to go away on Tuesday for a few days.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Scroll up

RE: Corner steady nut/bush

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:16 pm
by Simboc2004 | 713 Posts

Vespa clutch nuts seem to be to that thread size. Not sure about the pitch, though. May be available nearby or online? See here:

https://www.scooter-center.com/en/clutch...c-cosa1-7671201

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:26 pm

Looking at a pitch chart that may be the same as M20 x 1.0, or M20 x 1.5

There are a number of suppliers on Amazon offering M20 nuts in a wide range of pitch.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:08 pm
by Aycee | 36 Posts

Thanks, will have to delve a bit deeper. The thread is a square buttress type and I’m not sure how they are defined. The nut casting also has a flat plate which runs along the chassis. An alternative could be a complete steady if they are available.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:18 pm

You need to buy a thread pitch gauge tool - plenty available if you search in Google

Aycee likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:23 pm
by Aycee | 36 Posts

Just an update to this
Had no luck sourcing a BPW replacement. Measured the thread again and it seemed to vary in diameter, 19.5 mm at each end and 18.5 mm in the middle. I assume through wear winding the leg up and down.There were lots Alko nuts online which looked very similar so i decided to try one. Arrived this morning, screw thread worked and was easy to fit. Winds up and down the thread a treat, I'm very pleased with the outcome!
So if you are looking for a replacement the 20 mm Alko version works. Got mine from Kenmore caravans for £14.75.

Simboc2004 likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 99 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12659 topics and 106590 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0