1) Gas to cooker and fridge. 2) Brakes & Suspension

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:25 pm
by Olive (deleted)

Ok here it goes....! My first questions in this group in relation to our new-to-us 1990 Eriba Triton 420. ...

1) We've had camper vans before, including DIY builds with gas hob, fridge, sink etc but I'm a bit baffled by what's going on here, I'm sure it's something obvious but I can't for the life of me see what I'm missing with the problem of not being able to get the hob going;

The gas bottle has gas in it. It opens via the little black knob. The hose connects to the pipe in the bulkhead, there are no other buttons, levers etc. The pipe runs under the van and looks to be in good condition. It resurfaces into the van in the cupboard under the sink where it enters the white valve, from where it continues up to the red heater knob and back down under the van (there's no heater, we don't want one, so that's capped off under the van), then up to the stove knob and the fridge knob. If the white valve is turned so that the red bit is vertical (up&down / inline) and the middle red knob (stove, kettle picture) is turned inline then the gas should run through, right? In which case, on the front of the hob, would I then just be turning one of the middle large silver knobs clockwise (gas flame size for each hob?) and press the red ignition button on the righthand side? What does the grey knob next to it do and what do the numbers 123 mean? I turned that too and pushed it. I can't hear or smell any gas coming through. I've checked all joints inside and outside for leaks....so then I tried the fridge (on gas) and I'm assuming that once the black knob is turned to either the little or big flame and I press the ignition button next to it, I should be able to light the fridge?...I tried pushing the knob in too like I had to do with an old gas cooker years ago.

So basically, I know the previous owners used the fridge on electric hook up and it's had a new element put in recently, so it must work. They also had new electrics and consumer unit put in. They never used gas for anything. Why am I not getting any gas come through? Why aren't the ignitions clicking?

20220823_161732 (1).jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

20220823_162104.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

20220823_162212 (1).jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

20220823_162251 (2).jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Next question! >>>

2) Are the brakes and suspension shocks standard items or some kind of special Eriba-sized items?

Thankyou all for any suggestions!

Last edited Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:28 pm | Scroll up

RE: 1) Gas to cooker and fridge. 2) Brakes & Suspension

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:28 pm
by Olive (deleted)

Note: I have no idea why my photos publish upside down when you click on them, they were the right way up on my camera and in the preview!

Last edited Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:29 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:34 pm
by Stan Doori | 221 Posts

We had problems with the cream coloured valve; it is an auto shut-off system which turns gas off if you are travelling as it's sensitive to shock. I can't remember exactly how but it can be reset, maybe by turning the centre. We had this taken out
and replaced by some gas pipe to avoid this problem.

Triton 430 1997 Jubilé
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:37 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.086 Posts

White knob - no idea, red knobs are in the on position

Hob rings. Push and turn the silver knobs while lighting with a match.
There is no ignitor built in, they are flame failure sensors.

Left hand grey knob is for mains fridge operation

Right hand grey is 1/2/3 for the fridge on gas (3 fixed settings). The red plunger is for piezo ignition to ignite the fridge gas. Hold the knob in till the pilot light stays on.

Steve

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi
Ray Lawrence and like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:37 pm
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.018 Posts

I've never had the pleasure of running a Touring range van of that sort of age. But some thoughts.
I can't identify the white box with the twirly knob on it. I can't think what purpose it might serve on a gas line.
I doubt that a hob of that age would have spark ignition.
I'd concentrate on getting gas to the hobs first and once they're running I'd move onto the fridge. At that age the burner could be blocked with all sorts of muck and corrosion, especially if it's not been regularly used and serviced.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG

likes this post!
Last edited Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:38 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:45 pm

Regarding the white knob, for safety, I recommend you read this thread in case you have a similar double regulator system.

Gas flow tap / regulator

reply number #7 from a very respected Eriba engineer.

Steve

likes this post!
Last edited Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:49 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:49 pm
by Stan Doori | 221 Posts

Think you'll find the problem lies in the cream valve...

Triton 430 1997 Jubilé
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:56 pm

As you have no heater you can turn the heater red valve to the inline position (it passes gas through to the next valve in either position)

likes this post!
Last edited Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:57 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:24 pm
by JohnE (deleted)

The white gas knob is not the same as the one I described in a previous post - that was a secondary regulator whereas yours is a shut-off valve - I suspect your picture shows it in the off position.
I have no idea whether it incorporates any type of movement sensor or not.

The fridge rating plate states it's designed to operate at a working pressure of 50mb, the hob is more than likely 50mb aswell - its rating plate will confirm.

The bottle-top regulator is a 29mb (butane) model so will deliver only around 50% of the pressure required by the appliances.

This means the appliances gas-to-air mixture is incorrect and (if they do light) will subsequently cause high levels of carbon monoxide to be produced.

The original bottle-top regulator fitted to the caravan will have been 50mb - these are still available.

I strongly advise you don't use the gas appliances until they've been checked for correct operating pressure and the system as a whole has been tested and configured correctly.

Last edited Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:34 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:31 am
by smitton | 22 Posts

JohnE - always the voice of reason

2019 Touring 542 Adventure gently pulled by Mercedes B180 Petrol Auto
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:31 pm
by Olive (deleted)

Ok thanks! I will take a closer look at all of this.

Last edited Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:32 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:55 pm
by Olive (deleted)

Thankyou everyone for your help! I actually realised myself (eventually) yesterday evening that the pressure is going to be wrong from bottle to fridge after I took another look at the plate. I can't find a plate for the hob but I'm assuming it has to be for the same pressure. I've tried all the valves in various positions - (horizontal and vertical) and there's nothing coming through at all.

Thanks for all the advice everyone, we're really disappointed because the sellers who had the van for 2 yrs said they'd never tried to use the gas but that the owners prior to them used the hob no problem. I wish we'd had the dosh for a newer van, but I'm sure we can get this to a good state eventually. I'll get on with other jobs on it while we get it booked in to be looked at.

Steve and Debbie likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:34 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.473 Posts

Don’t be disappointed, the older vans are really solidly built in the majority. Once you’ve sorted your issues hopefully you will have a really lovely solid Eriba which will give you many happy years touring.

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
Simboc2004, PooleDweller and John Cross like this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 88 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12659 topics and 106590 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2