Jockey Wheel downward movement

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:41 pm
by Cockney camper (deleted)

My neighbour, an experienced caravaner, adjusted my jockey wheel and tightened it for me after it dropped to the ground on my first manoeuvring from road to drive, however, on a subsequent short move across six inches in order to get my bins past, it struggled in the stones, dragged sideways and dropped just over an inch from the thick pencil line that neighbour had drawn as a guide as to where it should be. The jockey wheel was changed on purchase as the original tyre was badly ripped, but they put an old one on. My feeling is that it is old and past its sell by date and I should buy a new one.

Scroll up

RE: Jockey Wheel downward movement

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:44 pm
by rambling robin (deleted)

Sounds reasonable - but also take a look at the jockey wheel clamp. It could be it has become deformed over the years and is not gripping as well as it should.

Rather genteel 2004 Troll 540GT called Matilda pushing a couple of old fogies.
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:15 pm
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.018 Posts

The jockey wheel has two forms of movement. One is winding it up and down and the other is the whole tube being manually pulled up and down. When moving the van, the tube retaining clamp should be tight, so that it can't move up or down.

When it comes to hitching up, the hitch should be wound up so that it's above the towball and should then be wound down to 'click' into place on the towball. Once you believe the hitch is secure on the towball, wind the wheel down again and you should see the rear of the car move upward. That indicates the hitch is locked on. Once that's achieved you can dispense with the jockey wheel, making the wheel face rearwards, wind it up into the slots in the bottom of the tube and make sure the winding handle is tight. Once that's done you can slacked the tube clamp and pull the tube up so that the wheel nestles inside the hitch cover, facing rearwards. Then secure the tube in place by tightening the tube clamp tight.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG
Ray Lawrence, Simboc2004 and like this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:48 am
by Simboc2004 | 713 Posts

I needed to replace my jockey wheel (badly damaged on purchase) and I ended up buying a twin wheel set up (made by Reich). It works really when in gravel, particularly with he motor mover - always turning rather than dragging - but is a pain when "parking" it for travel (I take off the inner wheel as it fouls the brake cable)

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:46 pm
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

Another useful tip if you are not used to jockey wheels. When lowering ready for manoeuvring, make sure that the wheel has been wound down enough to drop out of the slots in the tube, otherwise the jockey wheel won't be able to steer. It should be obvious but you never know.

Triton 420 towed by a Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi

Steamdrivenandy and like this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:57 pm

Reading CC's OP again I'm struck by his mention of the jockey wheel dropping initially and then that it dropped again when he moved the van. That's not an indication of a u/s jockey wheel, but more a sign that the locking clamp and/or its screw in handle are out of shape/not up to the job.

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG and a 420. A Bailey Phoenix + 420, with oven, microwave, shower cubicle, solar panel, ATC and external gas point.
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:16 pm

I agree with you. My neighbour returns tonight and will have a look, but something doesn't add up and as I'm so new to this am relying on more experienced people. Will likely buy a new jockey wheel, but that doesn't resolve the clamp if there is an issue. I want to feel confident that when it is tightened it stays secure.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:18 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.403 Posts

In the very likely chance that you do change, the Kartt jockey wheel seems to be favoured by many on this and other forums. I'd also replace the clamp.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:01 pm

Kartts are being heavily promoted at present by the CMC Club Shop (in association with Prima Leisure, the spares and accessory arm of Bailey.

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG and a 420. A Bailey Phoenix + 420, with oven, microwave, shower cubicle, solar panel, ATC and external gas point.

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:49 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.156 Posts

lots of useful suggestions for you CCamper

I had similar problems to you on my 2016 Troll and ended up replacing my original one with a Kart - although I got it significantly cheaper on line than the CMC were selling it for.

It was simple for someone as technically useless and cak-handed to fit and it has been a revelation.

However I now pay a lot of attention to ensuring that the clamp is tight and ensuring that it is raised high enough to be out of the bottom slots that restrict the tyre from turning.

Deep, newly laid gravel & stones on hardstandings can be a pain as your tyre can sink into them. This recently happened on a pitch at the C & M C site at Meathop Fell but a pull on the handles to support the motor mover quickly moved it forward.

Good luck
MikeT

eribanaut and like this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:28 am
by rambling robin (deleted)

Got mine here https://www.wtltrailers.co.uk/product/ka...mm-smooth-tube/
Very quick delivery.
It is heavier than the original - but not overly so.
Thinking I may upgrade my clamp to 4 bolts - I've seen something about this somewhere.....

Rather genteel 2004 Troll 540GT called Matilda pushing a couple of old fogies.
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:54 pm

I changed it for a Kartt jockey wheel. It is obvious straight away that the quality and strength of the Kartt is far superior to the much smaller alko one. I use it for the first time tomorrow, but am much more confident of a successful outcome.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 44 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12659 topics and 106590 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0