How to calculate correct nose weight?

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:15 am
by Craig89 (deleted)

Looking for a little help, this weekend will be the first time out with my 1989 Eriba Troll.

I have photos of the weight plate if that helps, just don't know how to upload them

received_1208184463291497.jpeg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

PXL_20220720_192101303~2.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Last edited Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:21 am | Scroll up

RE: How to calculate correct nose weight?

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:33 am
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.018 Posts

Accepted recommendation for noseweight is between 5% and 7% of the caravans weight, which isn't necessarily the same as the van's MTPLM as the van might weigh less than it's max and also, though illegal, might weigh more. The max noseweight is the lowest limit of the car's, the towbar's and the caravan hitch. It's also accepted that the higher the noseweight (within the limits) the more comfortable the tow.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG and a 420. A Bailey Phoenix + 420, with oven, microwave, shower cubicle, solar panel, ATC and external gas point.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:07 pm
by Randa france | 13.048 Posts

We try to get our to between 60 and 70 kg and our Troll has the same gross weight as yours (1000kg). The Eriba is very forgiving so I would also check up on the car's tow ball capacity as well.
Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Last edited Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:29 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:29 am
by Simboc2004 | 713 Posts

Our Volvo V70 handbook states the towing nose weight should ideally be 75kg, with a max of 90kg, and that works really well, so it's best to go with the car manufacturer's rating, surely? Other gearbox/engine combinations have other ratings, so always check. And non manufacturers' towbars may have different limits too, which should be on the towbar "plate".

I have towed our Eriba home (unladen) from the storage place (4 miles away) without balancing the load; it has clearly been a bit light on nose weight and it really pitches and tries to lift the back of the car over rough roads.

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:59 am
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.018 Posts

There are two different things to consider with noseweight, one is the limits and the other is the ideal weight.
There are three limits that apply, the caravan hitch limit, the towbar limit and the car manufacturer's limit. The noseweight should not exceed the lowest of those three.
The ideal noseweight is between 5% and 7% of the actual weight of the van and usually the nearer you can get to 7% the more comfortable the tow. For the actual weight of the van you either need to put it on a weighbridge loaded or use a spreadsheet with all the items on board added together. Don't forget that Touring range MIRO weights are for a very bare van and most have quite a few factory fitted options that use up a chunk of payload before you load with your own things.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG and a 420. A Bailey Phoenix + 420, with oven, microwave, shower cubicle, solar panel, ATC and external gas point.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:18 am
by eribaMotters | 5.403 Posts

Lots of good advice above, but I would advise a little experimentation in the 50 to 75 kg area. I have towed 4 Eriba’s of 900, 1000, 1200 and 1300 kg. They have all been with a VW Golf derived floorpan car, VW Touran, Skoda Yeti and Audi A3. All have had a 75 kg tow bar limit but all have towed best when kept below 65kg, the lighter vans at 55 to 60 kg.
If I have gone above this load then I’ve noticed a difference in front end traction and steering feel on my front wheel drive cars.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Simboc2004 likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 86 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12659 topics and 106590 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1