1975 Eriba Pan or Pan Familia ?

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:43 pm
by Outfox (deleted)

Hi all

I'm new to the Forum and have a question about an Eriba my father bought in 1975. My memories are hazy (I was 10 years old), but I'm fairly sure it was a Pan (it had the long roof, not the turret roof of the Puck - and I remember my father saying its the second model in size in the range). I thought it was a Pan, plain and simple, but I have seen photos of a restoration project on a 1975 Pan Familia and (from what I recall), that seems to have the layout I recall. What I do remember, was that it was a (bijou !) 3 berth, with a double bed for my parents and a (small) single for me. From what I've seen on Google, it appaers that the Pan was a 2 berth (with a largish double bed) and the Pan Familia, was a 3 bed, with an extra single. Am I correct in that thinking ?

ANY information on (whatever) model it was, would be much appreciated. Was the Familia available in 1975 ? What were the dimensions, layouts, specs etc ? When I find out the exact model we had, my plan is to look to buy a Used (close) equivalent (as modern as we can afford) - and hope to give my family the sort of joyful caravan experiences I had as a boy.

I hope someone out there can help ? Many thanks.

Scroll up

RE: 1975 Eriba Pan or Pan Familia ?

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:18 pm
by Randa france | 13.048 Posts

Hi and welcome to Eribafolk

Yes, you are correct. If your parent's Eriba was a Pan three berth then it was indeed a Pan Familia.

Here are the layouts for the Eriba range from 1975 with specifications (in German). They still produce the Pan Familia but since the late 90s they have called it the Familia 310. See Layout.

pan familia.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)pan familia 01.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

If you are looking for a more reasonably priced older model then they are available as can be seen by the link below to one that was sold recently.

https://www.eribacaravansales.co.uk/erib...ia-1990-sold-3/

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Last edited Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:29 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:54 pm
by Outfox (deleted)

Many thanks Randa. From what you say, clearly my Dad did have a (3 berth) Pan Familia. I remember my parents bed was a double (converted from a dinette) at one end of the van and mine was a single (also converted from a dinette) at the other end. When I stopped going on holiday with them (in the early 80's), they were able to have the double made up permanently and just used the single dinette (tight though it was - for both parents!). They sold it in the mid 80's and moved (up or down ?!) to a Freedom. Whilst the Freedom was a larger and more comfortable van, my Dad lamented the loss of the build quality of the Eriba. He missed the aluminium construction and the strong steel frame and he always said it was a delight to tow. That's why I fully intend to go for a Used Eriba - as close a model to the PF and as modern as we can afford. It looks like the Familia 310 GT is almost an exact modern equivalent to the Pan. My wife and I will just use it most of the time, but we do have a grandson (also aged 10 now), who loves to come on holiday with us and will be happy with that third bed.

PS My Dad actually met Erich Bachem in 1959, just before he died. My Father worked for Metro Cammell - who made Diesel Locomotives. You'll probably know that although Bachem worked with Erwin Hymer in designing the Eriba 'vans, his main job was as Technical Director for the Ruhrthaler Locomotive company in Mulheim. My Dad had cause to go over to Germany in 1959 to investigate a possible co-operative Diesel Loco build project between the two companies. He talked with Bachem and found him to be one of the sharpist and most innovative designers he ever met. I remember him telling me the story of describing to Bachem the encounters he used to have with Fieseler Storch Reconaissance planes in the Libyan Desert in WW2, while with the Eighth Army. He was an Anti Aircraft gunner trying to shoot down the planes designed by Erich ! My Dad told him that the Storch was great, sturdy plane, that took a load of punishment to bring down, but it was SO easy to hit, as it was so slow and ponderous. Apparently, EB laughed his head off at that - and blamed the poor construction of the aircraft on Fieseler as the problem and not his design !

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:44 pm
by Randa france | 13.048 Posts

What a smashing story.

Don't forget what your Dad said. The Eriba is still a very well built van and many people say that the older ones that were built in Cernay were a better quaiity. ie pre 2010 so don't dismiss anything from the 90s because if your grandson is now 10 then you may considering changing it for a Familia 320 (2 berth with toilet) in the next decade.
Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Last edited Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:45 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:05 am
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

Great to read your stories.

Betty, 1998 Triton 430 and Colin, a Renault Mégane.
Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 71 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12659 topics and 106590 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1