Isabella Camplet

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:46 am
by GT runner | 291 Posts

When at the NEC last month we were very much taken in by the Camp Let trailer tent. Neat and able to store all our camping gear in boxes within its base. Also could easily be towed by our Suzuki Jimny (2021 model). Has anyone here ever owned one ? whats it like to set up and when in use. Thanks in advance, Robbie.

Scroll up

RE: Isabella Camplet

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:17 am
by marmite | 400 Posts

Hi
We bought a Camplet second hand in 1990 it was a joy. We stored it in our garage. The set up was easy with two people 15/20 mins all told.

Its versatility with regard to the various ventilation options is unsurpassed, following my spinal surgery in 2006 I had some mobility/strength issues so we bought our first Eriba in Jan 2007, the Camplet then passed to my brother who still has it in use. The canvas then was ten cate don't know what the Isabella version uses. If you are looking for something to tow behind a Jimny which gives you two comfortable off the floor beds and a decent cooker unit then I don't think they can be beaten.

I know another forum member had one at some point too, they may be able to confirm the above.

Best of luck

Denise & Phil

GT runner likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:31 am
by GCL | 123 Posts

Many years ago I had a tent trailer. Its use was limited to the summer period only. The structure of the tent allowed it to be opened, like a book, in two movements. The most serious problem, as with all tents, was having to close it again, if it had rained, when it was wet and then dry it immediately at home with limited space.

Land Rover Discovery3, 2003 Eriba Triton 430
GT runner and Simboc2004 like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:30 am
by eribaMotters | 5.404 Posts

In between Eriba ownership we returned to trailer tent ownership with a Camplet Savanna. It was a wonderful piece of kit. You can get it unhitched, level, folded out and main pegs in within 10 minutes. Lots of room inside, comfortable bed, decent storage space and easy to tow, even without brakes. We had the rack on the top so we carried table and chairs along with bikes on it.
We sold it after two years use and returned to an Eriba. The last time we use it the rain was so heavy it took over 48 hrs to dry out the canvas when we got home, but we did not get wet when it had been raining.
Somewhere on the forum I did a write up and posted phots, but I cannot find them in the search facility. It would be about 2009.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:31 pm
by GT runner | 291 Posts

Thank you all for your story’s and info about the Camp Let. I can’t really see any negative, points. Even packing up on a wet day. I would just open it up in the garage when home and let it air for a few days. Thanks again, Robbie

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:12 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.159 Posts

Hi Robbie

We were tenters for ever and when my hips started to deteriorate, and pegging down masses of tent pegs and then getting them out proved too painful we looked for an alternative.

Our first thought was a trailer tent and we travelled around and looked at lots of them in 2015. We were really impressed and came so close to buying one. They seemed such a good solution to our problem and we could store it in a shed at the side of the house.

Two things put us off. One was of our making, in that we like lots of space in our tents even though there would be just the two of us most of the time. When we went to a dealer near Manchester and we speced everything up with all the extras we wanted we were really shocked at how expensive it would be with everything included, but also how long it would take to be built & delivered. We absolutely loved the quality & look of it but struggled to see how we could afford a new one. Buying a trailer tent second hand raised some issues for us.

The second thing that stopped this in its tracks was that we became aware of Eribas when a Dutch one pitched next to our tent in France. and were smitten. The poptop on the Eriba seemed to us to combine the best of camping in the fresh air without the pegging downsides of a large trailer tent. The price of Eribas were an issue but we thought it would be a better long term bet than a trailer tent.

However still need to say that although we love our Troll we still admire quality trailer tents when we see them on site or at a show - there is something quirky and special about them.

Good luck

MikeT

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:04 am
by GT runner | 291 Posts

Hi Mike

Thanks for taking the time to let me have your thoughts experience regarding the trailer tents. I too cant help but admire them, and in particular the Camp Let. It seems like a little holiday cottage that you can tow around, and then pop up somewhere lovely in the sunshine. I also like the space they create inside in the kitchen/dinning area. Both the Eriba and the Camp Let have great character and charm. Many thanks, Robbie

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:00 am
by eribaMotters | 5.404 Posts

I forgot to mention it's obviously even more economical to tow than an Eriba. In 2009? we had a "brisk" return trip back from near Samaur in The Lore to our home in Essex. About 450 miles and no need to stop for fuel.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 46 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12660 topics and 106601 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2