Theft of Omnistor Canopy

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:24 pm
by Randa france | 13.048 Posts

What a bloody cheek. Is nothing safe nowadays? If you look at the photo it's facing inwards on his driveway.

One of our Facebook Group members, Gary Barnes:-
·
Sad to report that our Omnistor 6300 Canopy has been stolen overnight off the cassette rail of the van on our driveway. We have a security gate but these thieves have obviously climbed over the wall. I’m pretty sure this canopy is a specific fit for Eribas. Can anyone confirm, we have Police calling tomorrow for what it’s worth so just trying to get as much info as possible beforehand

Gary Barnes.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Scroll up

RE: Theft of Omnistor Canopy

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:54 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.156 Posts

Horrible scumbags probably stole to order.......................

You feel for Gary

MikeT

Randa france and cruickie like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:50 pm
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

Horrid to think of people creeping about in your garden. All my sympathies.

Betty, 1998 Triton 430 and Colin, a Renault Mégane.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:15 am
by GCL | 123 Posts

I have always admired your low fences, a symbol of trust in others.
With us, the fences exceed 2 meters.

Land Rover Discovery3, 2003 Eriba Triton 430
Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:23 am
by Randa france | 13.048 Posts

We have noticed that in a lot of other European countries Giancarlo. A lot of UK houses have very short front gardens so high walls and fences are a bit imposing.
Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:52 am

it's an interesting one isn't it......................

Our fences at the back of the house are about two metres high, as are other neighbours.

However at the front we all have brick walls about two foot high but very few of us have gates of any kind so people can just walk onto our drives. I can think of only one house with high fences at the front.

I would hate to think that in the future we would all have to move to that on our estate. ................We had a spate of theft from cars on drives and I had my phone taken - I learnt a lesson from that. Strangely for our fairly invisible and disinterested local police force (and seriously understaffed) they did catch a couple of local teenagers and the thefts stopped.

On a more positive note we have a Skoda Karoq with the fancy boot opening that seems to occasionally malfunction when you put the keys in the protective pouch. This leads to the boot opening fully even though the car is locked..................! In the summer we woke up to find that it had opened fully and we suspected someone had broken in to steal but thankfully everything was still there. We worked out it had been fully open all night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We must live in a fairly quiet road off the beaten track I guess

It has happened again once since and so we always check the boot before we go to bed. When Kath went on the internet there were reports of this happening to other Karoq owners..................................................................................!

I guess we can all only take the steps that seem appropriate in our circumstances

MikeT

Last edited Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:54 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:31 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.731 Posts

Quote: SOULBLUESMAN68 wrote in post #6
On a more positive note we have a Skoda Karoq with the fancy boot opening that seems to occasionally malfunction when you put the keys in the protective pouch.

It has happened again once since and so we always check the boot before we go to bed. When Kath went on the internet there were reports of this happening to other Karoq owners!
How old is your Karoq, Mike?

The reason for asking is that I wondered if you had the MySkoda app on your phone and the car had a live subscription to Skoda Connect.

Skoda Connect costs thirty-odd quid a year, and provided your car was built after November 2018 - and you get the free MySkoda app - you can check both the status of the doors and the boot and, if necessary, lock them separately and remotely.

From anywhere.

Apart from the occasional glitch (which affects anything using WiFI, let's face it), it's a boon, not least if you've left the car and suddenly forget whether you did actually lock it or not.

Regarding the boot opening by itself...

I'm not suggesting that you are doing this, but a lot of 'accidental' boot or door releases are caused by a genuinely accidental press of the buttons on the key remote when putting it in a pouch or having it in a pocket in your drainpipes and sitting on it by mistake.

There is another reason for asking when the car was built. After a certain build date, the keys have a motion sensor in them which turns off their comms with the car after about 30 seconds (I think) and doesn't re-establish them until the key is moved again.

If your car has this whizzo feature, there's nothing really to be gained by putting the keys in a Faraday pouch to block the communications because there aren't any.

I appreciate you may not have (or wish to have, or pay for, in the case of Skoda Connect) any of these whistles and bells, but it might be worth checking because they could help.

I've used the remote locking thing a lot, especially when I've suddenly - and usually unnecessarily - had a moment when I can't remember having locked the car.

Like when we've left it miles away at the beginning of a monster yomp knocking off another fifty Wainwrights and didn't want to either cut the yomp short or be fretting about it and spoiling a nice walk.

SOULBLUESMAN68 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:03 pm

Thanks Pepe

Its a 2022 and comes with all sorts of things I don't understand or need. I had a head injury a number of years ago and it has impaired my ability to understand things - I can read all the words but their meaning doesn't stick.

I think Kath signed up for the Skoda Connect when we got the car as I had (yet again) mislaid my mobile phone. We keep meaning to move it to my phone but life gets in the way. I think we still have it free. Our son, who is a tech buff, keeps telling me to to do techy things with the car but never offers to set them up. I guess I have become a Luddite as I have got older

I think you might be right about me inadvertantly pressing the boot button when I put the keys in the bag but wierdly if I press the open boot button from the hall it won't open the boot - it only works when I get nearer to the car.

However we have found the Karoq to be a great car, and pulls our Troll as if it wasn't there.

Cheers
Mike

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:03 am
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.731 Posts

Quote: SOULBLUESMAN68 wrote in post #8
Thanks Pepe

Its a 2022 and comes with all sorts of things I don't understand or need. I had a head injury a number of years ago and it has impaired my ability to understand things - I can read all the words but their meaning doesn't stick.

I think Kath signed up for the Skoda Connect when we got the car as I had (yet again) mislaid my mobile phone. We keep meaning to move it to my phone but life gets in the way. I think we still have it free. Our son, who is a tech buff, keeps telling me to to do techy things with the car but never offers to set them up. I guess I have become a Luddite as I have got older

I think you might be right about me inadvertantly pressing the boot button when I put the keys in the bag but wierdly if I press the open boot button from the hall it won't open the boot - it only works when I get nearer to the car.

However we have found the Karoq to be a great car, and pulls our Troll as if it wasn't there.

Cheers
Mike

It was just a thought.

For what it's worth, given that your car is as new as it is, putting your keys in a Faraday pouch doesn't really make any difference because they'll stop communicating with the car almost as soon as you put them down anyway, and won't start doing it again until you move them.

Might save an inadvertent button press.

And if it helps, as far as the keys doing the remote boot thing at a shorter range is concerned, it's supposed to be like that.

SOULBLUESMAN68 likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 91 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12659 topics and 106590 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0