'72 Familia Pan Floor

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Apr 02, 2023 4:00 pm
by Kenmof (deleted)

Hi all, well time to get on with the restoration, whats best to use when replacing floor, it looks to be approx 30mm thick in total, i was considering 2 sheets 12mm marine ply with 6mm rubber insulation?? Someone suggested 18mm hardwearing phenolic trailer flooring 🤷‍♀️
Whats been done before and what seems to be best?

Scroll up

RE: '72 Familia Pan Floor

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:08 pm
by Randa france | 13.048 Posts

Hi Ken. Here are two threads that may inspire you. Mark Fitzgrald's van had a complete refurb.

Eriba Triton needing a lot of welding

Also Steve Bradfield's Video Story of Rusty Botton is also well worth watching.

The Story of Rusty Bottom .

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:19 pm
by Kenmof (deleted)

Great thanks, unsure why he uses 6mm marine ply for the top layer, id have thought it would wear and go soft quicker, thinking i will continue down my route of 2 sheets of 12mm marine ply with insulation inbetween,,

Fingers crossed

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:25 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.086 Posts

Hi Ken, I would worry about the weight. Have you taken that into consideration?

Steve

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:06 pm
by Kenmof (deleted)

The original floor was 30mm thick anyway from what i can find, the video in steves works out thicker but with a heavier duty on bottom as opposed to on top where i think the wear due to people walking on etc would be, i doubt very much that there would be a great deal of difference in weight? My thought process is purely due to it being longer lasting and more hard wearing for possibly slightly additional weight ?

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:44 am
by Angie and Steve | 165 Posts

I would look to maximise the insulation layer. Wear on the top surface of the ply will not be a problem as the effect of abrasion from footfall etc is taken by the floor covering and not by the plywood underneath. It's water ingress and damp which rots out the floor and causes problems so, if you are looking for longevity I would look to ways of making everything waterproof.

I watch and read with interest as our own '75 Famillia is getting a new floor in the next few years - that's if we can clear all the other non caravan stuff on the to do list before then!!

Steve.

Without music, life would be a mistake.

likes this post!
Last edited Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:46 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:45 pm
by Kenmof (deleted)

The fact wood in itself is a good insulator I may look to see what alternatives I can source, ie 8mm ply etc with insulation 🤔 decisions decisions 👍🤔🤣

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:22 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.403 Posts

The insulation properties of wood are not as good as the polystyrene used in the floor sandwich. The plywood on later vans was I believe as thin as 4mm.
I would be surprised if you needed marine plywood. The correct stuff will last 20-25 years in contact with seawater, and is expensive. Thinks hundreds of pounds per sheet as opposed to WBP [water and boil proof] costing tens of pounds. Marine ply is not treated with any preservative, the cheaper grades will use the same timber as in WBP, it will be the adhesive bonding the laminates that differs and also possibly the number of laminates will be greater.
Try here for advice and prices. I have used them several time but they have a minimum free delivery order charge of £500.
https://www.timbmet.com/products/panels/plywood/

Colin

edit - whatever you use then soak the underside and edges with a suitable black stuff, that I'm sure others can advise on.

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

and Simboc2004 like this post!
Last edited Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:35 am | Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 79 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12659 topics and 106590 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0