Storing a vintage (1975) Eriba

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:48 pm
by Barmybeetroot (deleted)

Hi Everyone.

I've recently acquired a mint 1975 Eriba Familia named Ruby and she's fantastic!

At the moment she is stored on grass, at a farm with storage space for caravans, but up until this point the previous owners kept her in a barn, with a protec cover on.

How do you all store your vintage Eribas?

I was thinking i'd like to find indoor shelter for her, but one place I rang told me that Eriba's aren't insulated, and they had one stored undercover that went mouldy, so they no longer agree to store them inside! (This was in an old railway tunnel) He also said not to use the protec cover, as i'd get the same problem, and it's best to keep them outside. I'm just concerned if she's kept outside, she'll get more weathered, and require more maintenance, cleaning, rust etc. I'm new to all of this, so perhaps overthinking slightly, I just want to do right by Ruby!

Any advice welcome, on how much success you have with your storage method, and tips and tricks welcome, especially your over winter routines.

Another tip the person I called told me was to buy some of those interior dehumidifiers that B&M sell, as these are great at absorbing moisture.

Scroll up

RE: Storing a vintage (1975) Eriba

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:14 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.403 Posts

It does not sound like you have been given sound advice.
An old Eriba does have insulation but this is obviously not up to the same level as a modern van..
I would say storage in an old railway tunnel would not really be ideal, as it would be damp.
A dry barn or garage is the best place for your Eriba.
If you have to keep it outside then covers are a good idea and will protect the van from the elements and UV damage to rubbers and fabric.
The ideal would be in a garage with a cover on. This is how I've been luck enough to store my vans until our recent move.
If you can get the van up on axle stands for the winter then all the better. If not buy some tyre savers. These look like a hollowed out ramp and spread the load.
Do not be tempted to get a dehumidifier or use a heater. The important thing is to get a bit of air flow, open all cupboards and get furnishings away from the sides of the van.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Simboc2004 and Steve and Debbie like this post!
Last edited Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:15 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:33 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.473 Posts

As someone once pointed out on here, with the number of air vents on an Eriba you’ll be trying to dehumidify the atmosphere. On a hiding to nothing. We cover, leave a couple of windows on vent, move all cushions away from the exterior walls and just try and open it up if we get a nice dry day. So far (15 years) we’ve had no problems. Ooh and don’t forget to drain your water down and cover/insulate your taps, they’re fussy little blighters.

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:40 pm

Thanks Colin and Julie, some good tips there! I'll keep my eyes out for a garage to rent perhaps. I'll also look into buying some tire savers for winter!

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:47 pm
Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

I bought the Fiamma and I'm pleased with them.This is the best price I can find. Werbung: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/392786906285?...ABk9SR8DA3vuXYg
Other makes are available, but you only save a pound or two.

Colin

It is a UK e-bay site. The forum for some reason [server in Germany?] decides to mess up e-bay links.

The following contents have been linked to this post:

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Last edited Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:43 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:00 pm
by Simboc2004 | 713 Posts

I bought the same ones. They worked well in storage over the winter.

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:35 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.619 Posts

Dry storage facility will be ok, if outside you could use a winter cover like a lot of use during the winter period.

This guy in the video took it to the extreme

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Simboc2004 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:27 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.086 Posts

Make sure to measure the clearance height of the garage door. Modern garages may be too low for all but maybe a Puck.

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jun 17, 2023 1:46 pm
by Islay | 272 Posts

Ours lives in a storage unit that is dry and well ventilated. She's from 1998 and we've never had a damp problem.

Triton 430 from 1998 and Renault Mégane.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jun 17, 2023 3:30 pm

Woah that's extreme!

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:38 am
by Islay | 272 Posts

What is, Barmybeetroot?

Triton 430 from 1998 and Renault Mégane.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:51 pm
by Ralph79 | 162 Posts

Quote: Steve and Debbie wrote in post #8
Make sure to measure the clearance height of the garage door. Modern garages may be too low for all but maybe a Puck.

Even finding a garage with doors high enough for a puck can be a bit of a challenge. It took a very long time to find one for mine. However, the good thing is that the garage I have now is 2 foot too short for my car, but the Puck fits in a treat!

Last edited Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:52 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jun 18, 2023 7:59 pm

The first photo shows the garage extension I built back in about 2000. At the time we did not have an Eriba but when one came along it just about fitted, if you took the garage doors off. Less than a finger thickness on each side and theoretically zero above.
Second garage build in 2018 made things a little easier as the opening was 3.9 x 2.4m
Since then we have moved so our Eriba now lives outside under a cover.

Its a bit tight 007-800.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Feb 2019 - 1-1600.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Colin

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jun 24, 2023 7:38 am

The shrink wrapping video

Islay likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jun 24, 2023 7:42 am

Interesting photos, and well noted about the height. I think she is okay in the field at the moment, and it's nice to have someone to help me hitch, which I really appreciated at my site yesterday! First trip out this weekend, just me and my son.

Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 69 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12660 topics and 106594 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1