RE: How many miles to the gallon do you get when you're towing?

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:43 pm
by Simboc2004 | 713 Posts

I talked to a number of electric car owners (towing caravans) at Épernay in France last year. All reckoned their towing range was halved from normal usage. Two were Teslas (a 3 and an X), one a VW ID3 (trailer only, not caravan). All were, incidentally, Dutch and all had to go off searching for charging stations.

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:20 pm
by Alan | 77 Posts

BMW X3, 3.0ltr 240bhp towing a 660. 30-32 towing 35-40 solo all with mixed driving hills and motorways

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:19 pm
by HDI163 | 9 Posts

We have an Eriba Triton 430GT, and when towing with our Jaguar 2.2 Diesel (200bhp)XF Estate, we get 35 to 36MPG towing at a steady 60MPH, much better then my previous Citroen C5 Tourer which had the 163bhp Diesel - which was generally 30/31MPG towing our previous and much loved Eriba 320GT.

The Jaguar has an 8 Speed automatic gearbox which makes towing so easy! Especially on narrow country lanes in France!!

Eriba 430GT - Edwardo being towed with Jacques Le Jag XF Sportbrake.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:11 pm
by Robferry | 4 Posts

Volvo XC40 phev T5 (1.477l petrol turbo plus electric) & Eriba Ocean Drive.
Fully laden towing, 30-33mpg, not plugging in while travelling, so only regen hybrid.
40-75mpg when not towing, depending on plug in mix.

Noticed that towing in France fuel consumption was about 10% lower than in UK - much smoother less wavy roads?

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Aug 05, 2023 10:17 pm
by Inspecta_Gadget | 264 Posts

Hyundai i30 Estate 2021 model. 1.6 diesel mild-hybrid (charges on braking to help when accelerating)

60-70 mpg solo (mainly motorway driving; 18000 miles/year)
36-38mpg towing our 530 troll estimated 1200kg loaded.

Hyundai i30 Estate pulling a Troll 530.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:14 pm
by Rickys Rav | 74 Posts

Volvo XC60 D3 AWD 2.4 litre diesel with Polestar chip fitted pulling 2007 Troll 540GT and loads of stuff in the boot.
30.5 - 31.5 mpg.
Without van on back typically get 40 - 43 mpg.

Troll 540GT dragged kicking and screaming by Volvo XC60 D3 R-design AWD
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:01 pm
by Rampant_Weasel | 13 Posts

toyota rav4 diesel towing eriba 310 with usual luggage and 2 adults

usually get 36 to 39 mpg, last time we achieved 41 mpg on bp fuel, usually travel between 57 and 60 mph.
we find bp and shell the most efficient altho some ppl say they dont notice a diff but we do.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:33 pm
by Skoderiba | 209 Posts

2019 Skoda Octavia 150bhp SE TDi + 2007 Troll Disappointed if less than average 40mpg towing. A lot depends on wind direction and strength.
As much as avg 81mpg solo

Fortibus es in Ero
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:42 pm
by Dranddad | 25 Posts

https://www.car.info/en-se/fiat/fiorino/...2-7241465/specs
This should cover the technical bit.

First time out today since 2019 just before COVID-19 and a downturn in health conditions, man has it been that long?

A trip to Broadlane Leisure at Alcester today to have the fixed window installed, which I could not manage myself. then a hand brake adjustment done. Had new tires fitted per Covid-19 and made the mistake of asking the owner of my local garage, (I say local it's 40 feet or so on the other side of the road from our window). If he could check the shoes and adjust the handbrake for me.

Still back on track, fuel economy Fiat Qubo 1.3 Diesel towing our 1992 Eriba Puck.

Urban road trip with a little town driving, 50.4 miles round trip with an average of 53.5 mpg on the trip computer.

I can live with that for an Urban trip and should return 60ish on a longer mixed urban/motorway outing, I'll update if I ever manage to get out there.

Phillip.

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 DSC_0148.JPG 
 IMG_20190826_123921.jpg 

If you wake up, smile its a brand new day.

eribaMotters and dinky like this post!
Last edited Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:56 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:33 pm
by Ianrow (deleted)

Skoda Karoq 1.5 petrol DSG pulling Triton 420 (1000kg)
Best so far 36mpg from Malvern to Carlisle, motorway for most of the journey
towing mpg drops on hilly routes eg over Shap , Beattock, A9 etc

Can easily get 48 mpg unladen

2002Triton 420 GT & Shiny Blue Skoda Karoq 1.5
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:11 am
by Assamtea (deleted)

Our Jaguar XF 2.2 l diesel has 196 bhp. We average around 37 mpg towing our Puck L.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:17 am
by Ray Lawrence | 671 Posts

Wind direction and speed makes a massive difference. A 15mph headwind would increase the effective speed from 55mph to 70 mph and we all know that fuel efficiency is directly related to speed.

2007 Triton 430GT - Seat Ateca 1.4TSI petrol manual
Randa france and addisb like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:09 am
by Randa france | 13.048 Posts

A good point Ray.

So what you are saying is that we should all go with the flow?

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Sep 02, 2023 5:05 pm
by dinky | 211 Posts

polish car x caravan, check nose weight lights.
ensure tyres at right pressure,
brakes are free running,
ensure tow with wind from stern,
gentle throttle and braking,
travel from 2am onwards if going a long way (6hrs). was always the best fuel economy for us, because no traffic other than trucks, no stop start, no cutting in, no stress, so forward planning to where to park was needed while awaiting pitch time 😉
a bow wind just empties the fuel tank.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:40 am
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.731 Posts

I reckon the best way to save fuel is to make sure that the engine spends as little time running as possible, and there are a few things that will help in achieving that:

Drive everywhere as fast as you possibly can. If you do this, it stands to reason that your journey times will be shorter.

Avoid braking. Accelerating back to top speed uses more fuel.

If you're waiting in a queue at a junction adjacent to a petrol station, don't. Cut through the forecourt. It's much quicker.

And for what it's worth, I've been keeping a detailed spreadsheet (on the PC, in Excel, obvs) of my fuel consumption figures.

There are columns for tyre pressures, tread depth, wheel alignment, ambient temperature - at the start of a journey, several predetermined intermediate points and at the end - relative humidity, time of day, gross vehicle weight including passengers both before and after a full English breakfast as well as the all-important wind direction.

It makes for fascinating reading.

No, really it does.

Most interesting are the fuel consumption figures relating to the drag coefficient and whether the car is shiny or dirty.

Excel's software is very clever in that it compensates for the effect on drag - and therefore fuel consumed - of the accumulation of dead flies on the front of both the car and the caravan, and even though it does mean you have to do a manual count and enter the figures separately, it does all the final calculations for you when you press the button that has enter written on it.

A comparison of consumption figures with the car both polished and waxed as opposed to a quick squirt with the hosepipe has proved to be frustratingly inconclusive for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, the software won't take into account whether the wax is carnauba-based or a ceramic formulation, and neither is there anywhere to input the number of times you turn the polishing cloth.

Most irritatingly of all, it won't compensate for the effects of increased drag caused by rolling the window down and putting your hand out to get a spider out of the wing mirror.

If anybody would like me to email them the spreadsheet I'd be happy to do it, though you'd probly need a full-fibre broadband set-up (fttp rather than fttc) because it's quite a big file.

Edit: There would be couple of redactions on the spreadsheet because there are one or two things on there which are nobody else's business.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 90 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12659 topics and 106590 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0