NCC Class A Leisure Battery.

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:28 pm
by Kingsdown Trio | 13 Posts

Hello again, I’m starting to delve into the confusing world of leisure batteries and would love some recommendations. We are thinking that we’ll be on grass pitches for most of our future holidays and will get a 12v inverter at some point. My main confusion is, when I search for a NCC Class A battery and click on the link, invariably after some scrolling it turns out to be a C or B. Is it possible to get a decent Class A for under £150? Many thanks.

Simboc2004 likes this post!
Scroll up

RE: NCC Class A Leisure Battery.

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:40 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.403 Posts

Have a look here at Plymouth Batteries. I've used them for CTEK chargers and car batteries. They offer excellent service at competitive prices. https://www.plymouthbattery.co.uk/type/l...isure-371055337 The VARTA are original Eriba fit. You have missed out on one I recently sold.
As regards the inverter, unless you have a bank of batteries then you will not really be able to run anything of a decent wattage for very long.
Stick with the 12v for lighting, phone charging and some TV, use gas for the fridge and cooking and all should be fine.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings
Kingsdown Trio and Simboc2004 like this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:47 pm

Oh okay, I was thinking of the inverter to do the phone charging and the occasional toaster. I shan’t over complicate things then. Thank you Colin, I’ll have a look at the link.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:50 pm

…and I’ve not even attempted to look at the fridge and how to operate it yet!!

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:16 am
by dinky | 211 Posts

got exide gel es1300 from a motor factor who is a dealer for them it was specially ordered in. was cheaper than online
its taller than old battery yet has more ah than old, we use solar and inverter

the es1200 may fit in your under seat space better however

all depends on what do with power

there are solar chargers lifepo4 with sinewave inverters built in, chrome van city van life in ca just reviewed one
they are a eyewatering cost
unless keep looking like black friday or prime day,
bluetti, jackery, ecoflow, anker, many more brands and sizes

they welded steel narrowboat on youtube with the huge anker!
huge ecoflow drove electric narrowboat motor

the old style gel battery info is page 7 if helps https://www.tayna.co.uk/docs/catalogues/...ry-Brochure.pdf

Kingsdown Trio likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Aug 26, 2023 7:44 am
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

I would forget the inverter. Get a usb port something like this. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Charger-Waterpr...896416531&psc=1. That would take care of phone charging. Maybe a blowlamp for the toast.

Triton 420 towed by a Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:53 am
by Ray Lawrence | 671 Posts

I use a 300W inverter driving an 18W domestic Samsung 21" TV. The inverter claims to be 95% efficient. Even if it was only 90% efficient the power draw would be 20 Watts.
The 12Vdc Avtex TV draws about 30 Watts so guess which one is more efficient when off grid?

Also the Avtex is about 3 times the price of a standard domestic TV.

2007 Triton 430GT - Seat Ateca 1.4TSI petrol manual
Kingsdown Trio and dinky like this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Aug 26, 2023 10:33 am
by Steve and Debbie | 1.086 Posts

You can use your hob to do toast with a Ridgemonkey.

48292acab8_h590_kow.jpeg.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Aug 26, 2023 2:03 pm
by dinky | 211 Posts

we have a 500w inverter (its factory fitted) and wired in such away in to bip, powers all the sockets. power also goes through charger so is an electrical loop, there may be loss have never found to be an issue, however the solar helps there. you learn to charge use power, when its daylight. we turn off when not needed because has a easy to use remote switch. the solar keeps the battery in a charged state so lasts for 18 years in our case
also have a 1500w inverter belt and braces its not connected unless needed so no drain on system.
we a have 240 led pendant light with lampshade, this works really well for 2 reasons very bright 2 stops us walking into rear low roof, that does hurt in case not aware.
eye strain also hurts.
pure sine wave is kinder to sensitive electricals like a laptop.
watch a few van builds on youtube, they always have solar a battery system and inverter. some are now going with the solar generators.
narrow boaters have solar and victron battery bank
some house holds are also buying solar generators to run items to save the electric bill.
everything has a negative, whether weight or some power loss, investment costs
the positives are can go anywhere, there wont be a need to pay for electric on site,

my advise is simple choose the way you want to go or not.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:43 am

Thank you everyone for your detailed and useful replies, I’ve only just seen them! We are thinking that simple is best. Purchased the 12v USB charger sockets and like the idea of the Ridgemonkey toaster! We've borrowed a battery from our local garage to give us an idea of what we need, I think we're slowly finding our feet. I'm six foot four, so have clonked my head on the rear cupboard many, many times!!

1980 Puck with delightful orange and brown Soplair awning. Not towed by anything just yet…

dinky and Sportique like this post!
Last edited Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:29 am | Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 18 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12659 topics and 106590 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0