RE: Can we torque wrenches?

in We've got it down to a T Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:36 pm
by crow (deleted)

I bought a Sealey Torque Wrench as it was the only way of getting
a wrench similar to the ones I used at work.

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:25 pm
by Randa france | 12.891 Posts

Well, I've been torqued into this.
I laid out £16.26 incl. delivery for one of these Silverline 633567 from Amazon and it arrived today. It had the extension bar and converter too.

IMG_2617.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

It's a bit of a beast isn't it? Didn't realize they were so big and heavy. All I need now is to learn how to use it

Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:32 pm
by crow (deleted)

'Dymo' a reminder to take the spring pressure off after use, to the wrench
then it will last for years.

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:41 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #47
It's a bit of a beast isn't it? Didn't realize they were so big and heavy. All I need now is to learn how to use it

Jolly good show. As to using it...........you've got to be joking right? Look at the scale and wind up the end of the handle until the top of the handle is lined up with the 100Nm or 120Nm mark depending on whether you're torquing steel wheels or alloys.

If you're fitting/replacing the wheel from new then screw in the bolts by hand just the same as you would every other time. Then using either a brace or the torque wrench if you prefer, crank up the tightness of the bolts in the correct order e.g. diagonally but not so tight as to set the torque. Once all bolts are reasonably tight go over them once again by slowly wratching up the wrench until you hear it go click. That's it - done - carry on to the remaining bolts. DO NOT re-torque after you've heard the click.

If checking torque before a journey etc then unwind the bolts a touch with a normal tyre wrench/spider and then re-apply the torque using the torque wrench. This is the proper way although many, myself included, miss out on the unwinding part first although it's advisable to do this at least say once a year.

DO NOT use the torque wrench to unscrew any bolts BUT DO wind off the spring tension by unwinding the handle so that the top of it is at or very close to the zero Nm mark after use.

2013 Triton 430, VW Touran TDI BM

Last edited Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:42 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:43 pm

Thank you. I'll pass on the information to Mrs R. I hate to see her struggle

, and like this post!
Last edited Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:43 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:58 pm
by graemew8 (deleted)

Glad I found this post again, I read it before having my caravan serviced having never owned a torque wrench. I had my Troll serviced at Airstream & Co in Andoversford who were excellent. Pete advised me to get a torque wrench from Screwfix before collecting the van. Pete told me how to correctly set and check the wheels before I left and advised the reason for checking them. I now feel alot more reassured knowing before a long journey that the wheels are tightened correctly. Having seen caravans at the side of the road on their side as a wheel has come off, I think it was £25 well spent and my family and the public are safe!

, Randa france, and like this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:25 pm
by daveg (deleted)

I use an old style beam torque wrench , can be used for tightening and loosening. (well I use it for both).

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:21 pm
by jasond4289 (deleted)

Did he recommend any particular wrench?

Eriba novice with a Familia 320GT.
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:42 pm
by crow (deleted)

You need to look at the wrenches (not the wenches) the engraved scales
vary and one type may not suit everyone. I chose the Sealy but here is a review.
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories...ier-line-stw201
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories...2014-group-test

Some OAP's Should Get Holiday Pay
likes this post!
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:49 pm
by Wordspace (deleted)

Before you go out and spend a load of dosh on a torque wrench you do need to be clear about what you're intending to use it for. Most inexpensive ones from places like Lidl and Halfords will probably have a range that's suitable for caravan and car wheel nuts (and I imagine that's what most of us will want a torque wrench for). But if you like good kit and decide to splash out, you need to check your prospective purchase's range. Mine works in a range between 30 and 150 Nm, but a similar model at a similar price from the same range goes from 12 to 60 Nm, no good at all for what most of us want.

Olivers Twists at http://martynoliver.wordpress.com/
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:10 pm
by hob (deleted)

Quote: Wordspace wrote in post #55
Before you go out and spend a load of dosh on a torque wrench you do need to be clear about what you're intending to use it for. Most inexpensive ones from places like Lidl and Halfords will probably have a range that's suitable for caravan and car wheel nuts (and I imagine that's what most of us will want a torque wrench for). But if you like good kit and decide to splash out, you need to check your prospective purchase's range. Mine works in a range between 30 and 150 Nm, but a similar model at a similar price from the same range goes from 12 to 60 Nm, no good at all for what most of us want.

Correct................ my motorbike one was no good for car and caravan wheels so I got one that was from screwfix ....................see previous post

Forum moderator
Vauxhall Insignia Sri towing 2006 Triton 430 import
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:24 pm
by Lunarbri (deleted)

I have two torque wrenches to cover the range, I stripped and broke off a few nuts and set-screws on my motorbikes before realising my "tight then a bit more" techniques wasn't accurate enough.

The Halfords professional range of torque wrenches have a good specification without having to be calibrated.

I recently removed my motorbike rear wheel eventually that had been tightened with a pneumatic wrench when I replaced the tyre and a recent recall for the bike was for this situation as the wheel flange was cracking as a result on some models...so too loose and too tight is not what we want

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:29 pm

Motorbike? Have you come across this thread yet? The Hidden Chapter

Last edited Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:52 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:12 pm
by Manwithaskoda (deleted)

I have a Norbar torque wrench, which has a maximum setting of 100, which is okay, as my Eriba has steel wheels. The Norbar is more expensive than others, but will last as long as the Eriba, and is built in Britain (Oxfordshire), which is a rarity indeed these days.

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:38 am
by Deeps (deleted)

Quote: Manwithaskoda wrote in post #59
I have a Norbar torque wrench, which has a maximum setting of 100, which is okay, as my Eriba has steel wheels.

Expensive or not, you're right on the range limit of that wrench and no instrument is within acceptable accuracy tolerances at either end of their scales.

2013 Triton 430, Mazda CX-5 D-150, AWD AT, Walker Touring Plus awning, Isabella Shadow sun shade.
Simboc2004 likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 29 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12542 topics and 105789 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2