A question about water pooling...

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:05 pm
by Lunarbri (deleted)

Hi all,

The search for a easy to erect awning continues and as many of you have already stated, there is no perfect solution but a compromise between convenience and utility.
Accepting this, am I correct in thinking that all awnings made for Motorhomes e.g Outwell Country Road, Vango Kella will collect water at the tunnel connection with the van?

Having used a air awning on my last caravan, I really want one for the Eriba but having "suffered" water pooling in the past I'm balancing the ease to pitch with the known hassle of dealing with large pools of water.

I welcome your wisdom, do I really have to get a Walker or Unico awning to be happy

, and like this post!
Scroll up

RE: A question about water pooling...

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:47 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

As I've mentioned before in other threads, we own an Walker Touring Plus for use with our Triton 430 and are very much pleased with it. We use no strengtheners of any kind in addition to the poles that were provided with the awning and have remained with the pads that attach to the side of the van by tensioning the poles. We have never had any pooling whatsoever even though we have suffered from torrential rain at times and neither has it moved during past reasonably strong winds.
We have, however, had rainwater dripping in from the awning rail at the point where the ridge pole of the awning attaches to the van. Subsequent tests have shown that the awning rail itself is absolutely water tight and as I blank off both ends of the awning rail once the awning has been attached to it, the ingress of water cannot be put down to capillary action along the awning beading itself. We also use the plastic gutter extension piece supplied by Walker. We are left with the opinion that this is very much a characteristic of the Eriba awning rail itself because in order to gain awning head room it is necessary to have to use a ridge pole whatever the brand of awning one uses which then places tension on the beading at this point. Under normal rainy conditions we remain 100% dry and it is only in conditions of biblical proportions that water drips in. Would we buy a Walker awning again? The answer is probably yes were we of course to buy a subsequent Eriba in the future which all things considered is doubtful.

2013 Triton 430, Mazda CX-5 D-150, AWD AT, Walker Touring Plus awning, Isabella Shadow sun shade.
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:03 pm
by jasond4289 (deleted)

Looking at these pictures in the gallery, it seems that their owners have attempted a solution. I think it is a spare flexi pole which is what I am going to try with my Khyam. They are cheap to buy but I need to work out what size to buy. Are the owners in these pictures available for comment?

Eriba novice with a Familia 320GT.
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:22 pm
by Basherdent (deleted)

We use the movelite oxygen 2 air awning and have suffered no polling in the tunnel even in torrential rain and winds for nearly 24 hrs

Keith and Sue likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:42 am
by Lunarbri (deleted)

Oops, sorry all for the very long time to thank you for your comments, our new Troll should be with us by the end of Feb. but still looking for the elusive awning...

Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 9 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12576 topics and 106078 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2