Know your forum.

in Like how to find latest posts, how to post links and photographs Mon May 30, 2016 8:51 pm
by hob (deleted)

This is the first of a few topics showing some of the finer points of how the forum works.

The forum view, reached by clicking on forum at the top of the page

forum view 3.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Once opened the top part looks like this, scroll down to see all the sections listed on the page

forum view.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

In this view you will see the forum laid out in sections like the one I am posting this in

forum view 2.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Click on the link arrowed to open that section.

In each section you will see all the topics in the section listed on one or more pages (depending how many there are)

You will need to go to go to the forum view then the correct section to start a new topic or thread as its sometimes called.

Once you have opened a section you can either open topics or start a new one by clicking the arrowed link in this screen shot

new topic.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

All the screen shots in these topics will open larger in a new tab \ window when clicked on for better viewing

Forum moderator
Vauxhall Insignia Sri 1.8 petrol 2015 towing 2006 Triton 430 import

Aaron Calder likes this post!
Last edited Mon May 30, 2016 9:55 pm | Scroll up

RE: Know your forum.

in Like how to find latest posts, how to post links and photographs Mon May 30, 2016 9:13 pm
by hob (deleted)

The latest post view

This shows all the forum topics in order of the newest post in each topic so when you come back to the forum you don't have to go through each section finding the newest posts.

This view is reached by placing your mouse pointer over your name to reveal the drop down menu

name.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

The drop down menu will magically appear and in it you can access your private messages view your blog (if you have one), go to options to change a few settings or edit your profile.
There is also an option called latest posts
menu.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Click on that and it will take you to the latest posts view

Here is a screen shot of the latest post view

latest.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

The topic arrowed is the one with the newest post in it at the time the screen shot was made with the rest below it in time of latest post order.

Forum moderator
Aaron Calder and like this post!
Scroll up

in Like how to find latest posts, how to post links and photographs Mon May 30, 2016 9:49 pm
by hob (deleted)

Next to each topic you will see a symbol that looks like a small sheet of paper, there are three types of these

Orange
new post.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Means there has been at least one new post since you last looked at the topic.

Clear means no new posts since you last looked.
no dot.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Clear or orange with a black dot in the bottom left corner, the dot means you have made one or more posts in that topic.

dot.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

You may need to have cookies enabled on your pc for these to work.

Some info on the top of each post

personal.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Red arrows, click a persons name or view profile will take you to that persons profile

Blue arrow lets you send that person a private message

Green arrow tells you if that person is on line at the time

In each topic listed there are 3 ways to open it

today.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Blue arrowed topic name will open it at the beginning

Yellow arrow if more than one page lets you select which page to open

Red arrow (time on the right) will open the last post in the topic

Clicking screen shots in this post will open them for a better view.

At the bottom of each page there is all sorts of information like
Links to the member list, who is online, and the FAQ section (all sorts of useful stuff in there)

A list of who is online and how many guests

You can also go to the next page or any other page by clicking the numbers there.

Capture.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Forum moderator

and like this post!
Last edited Mon May 30, 2016 10:00 pm | Scroll up

in Like how to find latest posts, how to post links and photographs Tue May 31, 2016 5:47 am
by rambling robin (deleted)

Please could you do a similar process for quoting post content in replies as this forum does employ a must unusual method of handling quotes.

Thank you.

Lonely Kia Sportage waiting for a push
Scroll up

in Like how to find latest posts, how to post links and photographs Tue May 31, 2016 5:29 pm
by Tomored | 2.128 Posts

I second rambling robin, after trying many times I still cannot master it.

Scroll up

in Like how to find latest posts, how to post links and photographs Tue May 31, 2016 6:40 pm
by Randa france | 12.870 Posts

Quote: rambling robin wrote in post #4
Please could you do a similar process for quoting post content in replies as this forum does employ a must unusual method of handling quotes. Thank you.

OK. We've waited for his Hobship but he's not come back so I'll respond.. it's quite easy. Click on "Save Quote" at the top of the post you wish to respond to. Then click on "Reply" to the post you wish to respond to, then click on "Insert All" on your post before sending the message.

If you wish to shorten the quote then swipe and delete the unwanted part but make sure you leave the [quote= rambling robin[p33965] and the final [quote] behind. ie. do not remove them.

Hope that makes sense.

Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Tomored and like this post!
Last edited Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:48 pm | Scroll up

in Like how to find latest posts, how to post links and photographs Tue May 31, 2016 7:10 pm
by hob (deleted)

Ok here we go, how to do Quotes

As is often the case there is more than one way to do it.

Method one

Click reply on the post you want to quote

When the reply box opens scroll down a bit until you see the word Quote on the right and click on it

method 1 1.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

This will place all the text in that post in your reply box with the required code already inserted

method 1 2.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

If you only want to quote part of the text highlight the bits you don't want and press delete on the keyboard this will just leave the text that is not highlighted

Then type in your reply below it

When you post it will look like this

method 1 3.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Method two

Highlight the text you want to quote right click on it and select copy, open a new post click in the posting box to make sure the cursor is in the box then right click and select paste.

Next highlight that text

method 2 1.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

With the text highlighted click the icon arrowed in red to insert the quote code at each end of the highlighted text

method 2 2.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Add your own text then post ...it will look slightly different to the other method as it will not name the person being quoted and will have a German word (Zitat) above it as the forum software originates in Germany

posted it looks like this

method 2 3.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Forum moderator

Tomored likes this post!
Last edited Tue May 31, 2016 7:46 pm | Scroll up

in Like how to find latest posts, how to post links and photographs Tue May 31, 2016 7:23 pm
by hob (deleted)

There are lots more topics like this in the

"Help for contributors" section found in the forum view or click the link below

Help section

Forum moderator

Last edited Tue May 31, 2016 7:25 pm | Scroll up

in Like how to find latest posts, how to post links and photographs Tue May 31, 2016 7:46 pm
by Tomored | 2.128 Posts

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #6
Quote: rambling robin wrote in post #4
Please could you do a similar process for quoting post content in replies as this forum does employ a must unusual method of handling quotes. Thank you.

OK. We've waited for his Hobship but he's not come back so I'll respond.. it's quite easy. Click on "Save Quote" at the top of the post you wish to respond to. Then click on "Reply" to the post you wish to respond to, then click on "Insert All" on your post before sending the message.

If you wish to shorten the quote then swipe and delete the unwanted part but make sure you leave the [quote= rambling robin[p33965] and the final [quote] behind. ie. do not remove them.

Hope that makes sense.

Randa
Thanks very much for that Randa, another mystery solved, also thanks to Hob who replied after.

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Like how to find latest posts, how to post links and photographs Tue May 31, 2016 7:51 pm
by Tomored | 2.128 Posts

So what did I do wrong to get three answers? Computer seems to be going slowly.

Scroll up

in Like how to find latest posts, how to post links and photographs Tue May 31, 2016 7:53 pm
by hob (deleted)

Quote: Tomored wrote in post #10
So what did I do wrong to get three answers? Computer seems to be going slowly.

No idea but I deleted the other two.

Forum moderator
Scroll up

in Like how to find latest posts, how to post links and photographs Tue May 31, 2016 7:56 pm
by Tomored | 2.128 Posts

Thanks Hob.

Scroll up

in Like how to find latest posts, how to post links and photographs Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:23 pm
by hob (deleted)

Couple of small things to mention

Hiding the chat box came up in a topic so here's how to do that

Hover over your name on the right, when the drop down box appears click options

When the page opens click settings

on the new page option 5 is hide chat set that to yes and you should never see it again

Another thing in each post on the right hand side at the bottom is a small arrow this I recently discovered is a "back to top button" click it to save scrolling back up a page.

top.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Forum moderator
Scroll up

in Like how to find latest posts, how to post links and photographs Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:37 am
by The Vast minority (deleted)

A suggestion that may help some touchscreen users if I may.

I do most of my browsing and I use this forum exclusively on an iPad, I make use of the new posts feature 99% of the time and there lay the problem that I have encountered a couple of times.

The "Latest posts" and "log out" buttons are adjacent and very close together, I have more than once logged myself out when selecting latest posts because of my vast fingers hitting the adjacent button. I'm sure most users just stay logged in as I do myself. Thus my suggestion is to move the logout button somewhere else, Perhaps just to the top of the drop down menu?

Just a thought
Al

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 IMG_1320.PNG 

Last edited Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:39 am | Scroll up

in Like how to find latest posts, how to post links and photographs Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:57 am
by Frantone (deleted)

I fully agree with this. The buttons are small and adjacent and I often log out by accident.

Troll gently nudging up against Galaxy.

Last edited Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:49 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 63 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12520 topics and 105634 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4