Hello from the Highlands

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:51 am
by Linda J (deleted)

We live in the Highlands and plan to buy an Eriba. We have had two campervans but feel that an Eriba would suit us better. We are looking at a second-hand or new Triton 420. The big bed appeals to us also the lack of disturbance to ones partner during the night! How do other 420 owners get on with the layout? There seems to be a choice of either sprung or cold foam (new this year perhaps?) for the cushions/bed and we wondered if anyone could give us any more information. We need a firm bed (with mattress topper if necessary) but are having difficulty getting information. We travel a lot all around Scotland as well as France and use ACSI a lot. Are there any other members in the Highlands and if so do you have any problems with the cold? This is a great site, very friendly and we look forward to reading all the information.

Scroll up

RE: Hello from the Highlands

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:55 am
by hob (deleted)

Time flies like an arrow...................fruit flies like a banana
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:18 pm
by Blueyonder (deleted)

Hi Linda,

We just bought a Triton 420 (currently being made so don't have it yet). We have a WV T5 campervan and love it but, after a couple of weeks away from a super king size bed at home, we tire of the bed in the campervan, and we go away for long periods across Europe. We are keeping the T5 but looked for a very small caravan to take along on longer trips. I really didn't want to go bigger than the Familia but we went and saw both, took our shoes off and lay on the beds in both... for quite a long time, several times! The bed across the familia was just not suitable for us. I am over 6ft and I dont actually mind my feet hanging over the end of a bed, like I have to do sometimes in hotels etc. But when you have a wall either end it feels cramped, even though I dont actually sleep laid flat out. The Triton has not only the length but, made up to the double, its obviously very wide... you also get the extra length towards the middle at the head end with the shape of the van. You could also put the tv on top of the fridge unit and watch tv comfortably in bed -we just use a laptop for the occassional film and that would have to be sat on lap in bed in the familia.

I feel a bit stupid in that I dont know for sure what the mattresses are but I would lay money that they were sprung. They were quite firm, which suits us. To save the faff of trying to tuck a sheet in round the cushions every night when we make the bed (and keep it there), we will get a light topper and I will sew a sleeve sheet for this so the whole thing can be rolled out or away at once. We bought from AL in Poole and they told us that there were serious limitations to choices internally over here, despite a wide choice of fabrics etc. for those buying across the water, so not sure if this applies to mattresses? Fortunately I have some of the material I curtained the van with, so I am going to remove the curtains that come with it and make them to match the van and add a more personal touch.

Not sure what discounts are to be had this time of year with dealers but having already made our decision we went to the motorhome show at the NEC and got €1000 off (sterling that is, no pound sign on my tablet keyboard grr!) or you could have a free Reich mover. The C&C show at the NEC is in Feb and AL are showing there... maybe Jandi are too? - although if you buy new then, you might not get in time for a good part of the new season.

Last edited Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:21 pm | Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:22 pm
by Steamdrivenandy (deleted)

I'll try and help.

Firstly you need to be aware that standard Eriba Touring ex factory are very basic vans and there's a long list of options you can add, rather like BMW cars but a bit cheaper. The UK Eriba dealers will order you a van to your own spec, but it could take a while to build. They all order in a supply of stock vans built to their own standard spec which normally have a list of options already added.

Cold foam is the standard filling supplied by Hymer, but as an optional extra you can have sprung bench cushions. Virtually all Eriba Tourings built for the UK market have the sprung cushions as the UK dealers tend to include it in their standard spec. The only items that get the springing are the seat cushions as the backrests are cold foam anyway.

I've slept on both and couldn't really tell any difference. The sprung versions use up some of the van's payload as they're a good bit weightier than the foam.

You have two choices of interior when choosing a 420, as you do with the 540 which has the same rear benches plus a single dinette/bed across the front, where the 420 has its kitchen. What's considered the standard layout is a big table with a single folding leg and an attachment that clips to the rear of the van. Then there's the 'central chest' layout, often referred to as the 'British' layout because the Continentals aren't keen on it. This has a central chest at the rear with a cupboard and, depending upon year, a fixed top or a sliding extending table top. The big table is freestanding and can be used anywhere, including your garden at home. It doesn't need the side of a van to cling on to.

Storage of the big table has varied over the years. In early 2000's it was stored vertically on the nearside up against the side of the wardrobe. From 2005 'til 2009 it was stored flat, in a cradle, under the offside big bench. Most recently it has been fitted with press studded retaining straps and lays flat on top of the offside bench cushions.

With the standard layout you only have two bed options, singles or a double. With the central chest version you can half extend each single, still leaving a narrower walkway and providing an extra 6ins of width to the single beds.

We've been out in v v cold weather when we had our Eriba and we've been totally snug, the heating has been more than enough to cope.

HTH

Amber a Lunar Quasar 464 Sussex Amberley Sussex Caravans dealer special pushing a '59 reg. Kia Cee'd 3 SW 1.6 CRDi Automatic, a rough towing ratio of 86%.

Last edited Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:26 pm | Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:26 pm
by Blueyonder (deleted)

Hi Andy, I forgot the bit about the slide out beds. We have the central chest version with the freestanding table... I didn't want the chest but I wanted to be able to slide out one bigger bed if either of us wanted a nap during the day or one of us was poorly etc. Of course, I will keep the chest (with the curtains) in case we ever sell it but will probably put it in the attic - mind you, does the interior finish on the newer models fade? If so, I'll have to store somewhere where it will get light on it.

You're right, they did say we could spec the van but we'd have had to wait until like the end of the 2014 season to get it....this would make no sense as your van would then be a year old before you had any real use of it, so effectively it not a real option most would consider.

We've been out in v v cold weather in our T5 with just a little electric plug in fan heater (the pop top is a tent) and we've always been fine. As Billy Connoley said "there's no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong clothes". Never be withou your thermals!

Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:40 pm
by Randa france | 13.049 Posts
Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

Hi Linda and John. Welcome to the forum. We're glad to see that other forum members are looking after you.
For the others, we met Linda and John while in Harrogate recently. It was early on the second day when L and J approached us with intent and we thought oh, oh, it's the CC wardens who are going to tell us that we've parked our Eriba the wrong way round.
You must have seen a moment's concern in our faces as we were preparing ourselves for an argument.
Regarding Eriba seats/mattresses, many people use Duvalays or similar but we went down a different route.
Our Troll has foam throughout (It was imported sometime after manufacture) and we found the existing mattresses to be a little uncomfortable after a few hours sleep. After two years we decided to do something about it but rather than go for foam toppers that roll up and away each day, we decided to "build them into" the existing mattresses. This meant a re-upholstery job. Please note that all references to "We" are of course, the "Royal We" or in other words "She".
Our main concern was whether the headroom with the extra thickness cushions would be an issue but it has proved to be OK. We are not the tallest people around however although I am quite long in the body.
We've bought two double bed size slabs of 2" medium density flame retard Werbung: memory foam from EBay and cut and fitted them into the new covers compressing them to about 1" (we've left the old covers in situ).
By far the greatest amount of time was spent on deciding on which fabric to choose because the selection on EBay is enormous. We decided on the stripes because 1) It was on offer at a very reasonable price 2) It was flame retardant. Obviously it will not be to everyone's taste but hey...
This modification has made a world of difference to out comfort while sleeping but it is also a tad more comfortable for daytime use as well.

IMG_4988.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) IMG_4992.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) IMG_4998.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Roger and Amanda

The following contents have been linked to this post:

"http://smileys.emoticonsonly.com/emoticons/w/wales-1627.gif"
and like this post!
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:49 pm

Never be withou your thermals!

Or your wellies

Amber a Lunar Quasar 464 Sussex Amberley Sussex Caravans dealer special pushing a '59 reg. Kia Cee'd 3 SW 1.6 CRDi Automatic, a rough towing ratio of 86%.
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:08 pm

That's reminded me Rog., when we had the Eriba Mrs SDA had this cunning plan to keep the Duvalays unfolded but covered with a tasteful throw, tucked in around the bench cushion. All very fine for 5ft 2ins person, but for a 6ft 2ins person those few extra inches of cushion meant the back of my bonce was always in contact with the wooden window valance or whatever, below the overhead lockers. Not comferable at all.

I believe the colloquial term for both the 420 and 540 Eribas is Langslaper (Long Sleeper) in Dutch and nothing to do with the character of any ladies on board.

Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:04 pm
by Pop540 (deleted)

Hi
welcome to the forum
you may find a blog written by Hob
Hob was ere part 4 a useful read (although all the blogs very informative)
not being able to locate the eriba model desired, took a different route
Modifying an import from Europe for UK use.

Last edited Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:19 pm | Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:07 pm

All very fine for 5ft 2ins person
Oy!! Nothing wrong with "compact people". Any more of that and I'll get my mate Poptop 320 onto you Longshanks!!!

I'll have you know I'm 6' 4" from the waist up and 5' 2" from the waist down which averages out at 5' 9".
R

Last edited Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:08 pm | Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:59 pm

Oy!! Nothing wrong with "compact people". Any more of that and I'll get my mate Poptop 320 onto you Longshanks!!!

Ironic that. Longshanks was King Edward 1's nickname and 'my' steam engine GWR no 6024 is a King Class locomotive named 'King Edward 1' but in these unholy times the steam engines nickname is 'Spud 1'

Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:00 pm

Longshanks was King Edward 1's nickname I knew about that one but obviously not the other

Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:18 pm

Hi Linda and John.
I suppose you've seen the 1999 420 currently for sale at AL? http://www.automotiveleisure.co.uk/page97.html
Was it there when you visited them? A bit pricey but it's a nice looking van with a motor mover. Judging by the rear number plate holder being on the UK "offside" I would say that it was a "built for the UK" van. Same year and same styling as our Troll which, touch wood, has proved to be of good build quality and trouble free during its >10,000 mile life with us.
R and A

Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:51 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

After having spent several years sleeping in a Hammock (not continuously I must add LOL) no bed, sprung or cold foam, come up to my expectations of what comfort should be. So, to be perfectly honest, I simply have not idea how on earth our mattresses are constructed in the 430 Triton. When thinking about the subject of comfort the wife and I wanted a bit of insulation from that wide open space under the bed and also something to protect the longevity of the mattresses from our sweating bodies. Right on cue - Aldi to the rescue - and last week they were offering incontinence covers (shush, don't tell everybody for goodness sake) for a touch over 5 Euros so we bought two. The wife sewed the two together and now we have something resembling a fleece covering for our mattress with the added advantage that we don't have to go to the loo during the night. Oh alright then, scrub the last part but for the miserly outlay of 10 Euros we've got both warmth and protection. On offer from Aldi next week are bedpans which we might also consider buying.

2013 Triton 430, VW Touran TDI BM
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:27 pm
by Linda J (deleted)

Thank you to everyone for the welcome and good advice, we have found it very useful!

Scroll up

Visitors
6 Members and 89 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12660 topics and 106594 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 6