Caravan Club site booking - what a joke!

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:00 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.797 Posts

We were hoping to stay at the Beechwood Grange site on the outskirts of York next month for our annual visit to see my brothers and their families. I don't like having to make advance bookings months or even weeks ahead of our proposed travel times and much prefer 'just turning up', as we always manage to do when touring out of season in France. Indeed, it was the freedom and spontaneity of travel that attracted us to caravanning in the first place. Some hope.

So, when I checked availability on the CC website a few minutes ago, I found to my surprise that even at this lowest of low-season times ALL the standard pitches both with and without awning have been pre-booked for the whole of January and February (except for January 04-05 for some reason.)

When I last stayed on the site in early January 2012 only a dozen or so pitches were occupied so I was able to choose my own pitch directly opposite the shower block and park on it exactly as I wanted. For this reason I simply cannot believe that the whole site is now booked solid for two of the coldest months in the year.

This was the scene in early January 2012. Does it look busy to you? What is going on?

P1010608.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

So now I have to telephone the site, hopefully to find that they can accommodate us. But if they can, why is the website showing them to be fully booked and what useful service does it provide?

I despair of the Caravan Club. If it wasn't for their Red Pennant continental insurance package I don't think I'd bother to renew my membership.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Scroll up

RE: Caravan Club site booking - what a joke!

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:33 pm
by Eribanut | 2.026 Posts

Know what you saying we cancelled our membership some years ago for exactly the same reason

Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis
Tempus fugit; carpe diem
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:00 pm
by Steamdrivenandy (deleted)

There's been an awful, awful long thread running on CT for the past few weeks about the CC and its launch 'day' and booking practices generally. There's always a similar thread every year at this time.

The CC will tell you that there were 55,000 successful booking on their annual 'stupid' day and that there are x million pitches still available between April and October next year.

Trouble is too many people want to book Chatsworth and York (Rowntree Park) for Easter weekend and so lots of people are going to be disappointed and upset by not getting a pitch. Personally I've never booked anywhere more than two months in advance and usually a lot less than that and I have to be flexible to find somewhere nearish to where I actually want to stay. This is especially true if any of the sites I want are the so-called honeypot top 20 or 30 sites.

Even worse in my opinion is the blocking of weekends so that 'proper' holidaymakers can't book weeks on a site. Not only does that cause the holidaymaker concern it also drastically reduces the income of the CC as the sites tend to empty during the week.

The CC will tell you that their intro. of the 72 hour cancellation rule has reduced the numbers of no-shows and very late cancellations, but what they don't say is how many of the early bookings are actually cancelled before 72 hours. I suspect quite a lot of 'block bookers' are wise to 72 hours and cancel early. That's fine for the CC who get a better chance to re-sell the pitch, but it doesn't help the poor sap looking for a pitch two weeks before.

With so many pitches not earning their keep during the week I can see the CC being reluctant to buy extra capacity to satisfy the weekend demand when they'll be saddled with even more empty weekday pitches. It is truly difficult to know how to square this awkward circle. Although people do point out that the C&CC with their deposit system don't seem to have the same uber booking issues as the CC.

EDIT
Oh and I've just checked Beechwood Grange and it shuts from 6th Jan (a very auspicious day, don't forget it) to 21st March. For some reason the CC have infilled the closed dates with orange which is supposed to show 'Full' days, as the site is closed they should be filled in with dark blue. So nobody has robbed you of a pitch, the place is shut. Rowntree Park has some availability, but not a lot. Roger's Knarsburg CC is shut too.

Amber a Lunar Quasar 464 Sussex Amberley Sussex Caravans dealer special pushing a '59 reg. Kia Cee'd 3 SW 1.6 CRDi Automatic, a rough towing ratio of 86%.

Last edited Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:16 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:22 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.619 Posts

We tried booking for CC Rowntree park in York, as the first day of booking was on a working day 4 Dec and from 9am it meant that the working population couldn't book until they got home. Surprise, surprise when we tried at 17:00 that same day every awning pitch was fully booked up until Dec 2014 and every weekend for the non awning. Surely the CC could deploy some kind of software to highlight those who are abusing the system?

Last edited Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:24 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:29 pm

Zitat
For some reason the CC have infilled the closed dates with orange which is supposed to show 'Full' days, as the site is closed they should be filled in with dark blue. So nobody has robbed you of a pitch, the place is shut.

That explains it then, Andy. The idiots have used the wrong colour on their booking chart.

I've just checked my diary for 2012 and the above picture of my caravan was taken on 13 January 2012 so they must now be closing the site earlier than in previous years.

I shall probably wait for Naburn Lock to open on 01 March and go there again. Sod the Caravan Club.

Can anyone recommend an alternative continental touring insurance package to Red Pennant?

Forum Administrator
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:46 am
by Crow (deleted)

Do you have a list of the honeypot sites Andy?
When is Easter this coming year 2014?

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:08 am
by Randa france | 13.049 Posts

Easter dates? Look at the forum calendar

"http://smileys.emoticonsonly.com/emoticons/w/wales-1627.gif"
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:59 pm

On the spur of the moment last night we decided to book a non-awning pitch for six nights at Rowntree Park, York CC site (open all year) from Saturday 04 to Thursday 10 January for the annual 'visit the friends and relatives' trip.

The total cost for pitch and two adults will be £105.60 (£17.60 per night) which seems a bit steep for January when we are used to paying ACSI rates in June and September in France.

We're not all that bothered about the weather while we are there just so long as the country roads are not too icy and the Ouse doesn't decide to overflow its banks and flood the site which is situated right next to the river.

Fingers crossed.

Forum Administrator
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:04 pm

That's about the same as we paid at Knaresborough last month Brian
R

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:16 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.731 Posts

Quote: Aaron Calder wrote in post #8
The total cost for pitch and two adults will be £105.60 (£17.60 per night)...
Tha could 'ave stayed at me mam's gaff in Taddy for nowt, tha kno's.

That'll learn yer, yer daft lummox.

She wouldn't've med yer sleep in t'garden, neither.

Last edited Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:17 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:16 pm

Now he tells me!

Forum Administrator
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:11 pm

There's no Waitrose in Tadcaster Pete, how come she fetched up there?

Amber a Lunar Quasar 464 Sussex Amberley Sussex Caravans dealer special pushing a '59 reg. Kia Cee'd 3 SW 1.6 CRDi Automatic, a rough towing ratio of 86%.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:48 am
by Simon k (deleted)

Even if you could get on a club site you would not be able to pitch as you are in the photo as the new rules mean you must be nose in or out and within an inch of the peg!

Simon

www.onemanandhispuck.blogspot.co.uk
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:03 am

Not necessarily Simon.

It's off the LH edge of the pic but the pitch looks as if it might not have a neighbour on the van side and therefore separation wouldn't be an issue. The only reason for insisting nosein/out is to ensure appropriate clearance to a neighbouring pitch.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:31 am

This "parking to the peg" issue is very debatable with an "off side door" caravan isn't it?
On a couple of Camping and Caravanning Club sites we've been on, we've been shown to our pitch and the warden pulled the peg out of the ground, told us to park and then pushed the peg back in in the appropriate place to suit our position
In Knaresborough Caravan Club site recently, we didn't notice the site rules until a few days after we arrived. It stated that "the offside of the caravan should line up with the peg". We were miles out but the edge of our awning/canopy did line up with the peg, a happy accident. Therefore, we presume our unit width, including the awning, was in the correct position. Or was it?
R

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:42 am | Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 59 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12660 topics and 106601 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3