RE: Wifi Booster.....

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:00 pm
by Randa france | 13.048 Posts

Quote: Crow wrote in post #2
I bought a Huwaei (unlocked) and use '3G' pre-paid sim cards.
The later model Huwaei has provision for an external aerial.

Back again with more questions. Rod posted the above just before Christmas and to be honest, I'm still a little baffled by it all particularly the sim card bit as I'm not intending to use it with a mobile phone.

If I were to purchase this item plus the optional aerial is it just a matter of plugging it into an appropriate hole in my laptop or does it work as a stand alone item with aerial that intercepts a weak wifi signal, boosts it and pass it on to my laptop?

Sorry to be a little thick but all this stuff is a lot beyond me . As this item comes highly recommended by Rod then if it'll work in the way I want it to then that's good enough for me. In short I only want to boost the wifi signal on a camp site so that it has more chance of reaching my laptop in my Eriba.

I notice on rival products that they claim range measurements eg. 100 metres. Does this mean what I think, that in simple terms, I can effectively be 100 metres further away from a weak signal and get the same results? If so, what is the increased range of the Huawei-E5332? Unless I've missed it, I can't find any claims although I'll have another look once I've posted this.
Thanks for your patience.
Roger

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:26 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.731 Posts

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #16
In short I only want to boost the wifi signal on a camp site so that it has more chance of reaching my laptop in my Eriba.

If that's all you want to do, there isn't much point buying a MiFi like the one Rod linked to.

A MiFi is a small stand-alone wireless device which you use to create a small WiFi network (a hotspot) of your own, and to which you can connect a laptop or tablet in exactly the same way you connect to your broadband router at home. In effect, it's a little wireless router. To generate its baby WiFi network it needs to receive a signal, and to do that it needs a SIM card, and you will pay for any data you use whether your SIM card is on a pay as you go deal or a monthly contract. That's in addition to the cost of the MiFi unit itself.

If you want to get access to the Internet anywhere (well, pretty much anywhere) via a laptop or tablet (or both), then a MiFi like the one Rod has is just the ticket. I've got one on an Orange monthly contract. It costs me nine quid a month for an unlimited amount of data, and it's the dog's undercarriage.

The thing is, though, it isn't what you need if all you want to do is to boost an existing site signal.

You won't be able to boost an existing site signal per se anyway. You have no control over the strength at which the signal is transmitted; what you need to do is to increase your ability to receive that signal.

A range extender like this one may well work. I've used one to get better WiFi reception in Mrs P's office up the top of the garden, and it works well. It's very little, which is good, but it won't do anything if it can't latch on to a signal to extend into your van. It also needs 230v, obviously.

One of the biggest problems with WiFi - any WiFi - is that it isn't either on or off like the nozzle on the end of a hosepipe. It's much more complicated and illogical than that.

Last edited Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:51 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:55 pm
by Crow (deleted)
Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alfa-AWUS036H-80...g/dp/B0041OI01C
Werbung: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rocket-Antenna...t-/350963755592
Werbung: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2200mW-NextG-U...A-/161110346260
http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B00ABG6EZI

The following contents have been linked to this post:

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:02 pm
Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

Quote: Crow wrote in post #18
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2200mW-NextG-USB-Yagi-11N-WiFi-Antenna-FAST-STRONG-TURBOTENNA-/161110346260

I'd buy that one, no hesitation.

Can't go wrong with something called a Turbotenna

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:15 pm
by Steamdrivenandy (deleted)

Costs a bit more than a tenner though Pete and didn't that guy who sold Nigerians non-working bomb detectors come from Hampshire? Sorry Derek.

Amber a Lunar Quasar 464 Sussex Amberley Sussex Caravans dealer special pushing a '59 reg. Kia Cee'd 3 SW 1.6 CRDi Automatic, a rough towing ratio of 86%.
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:16 pm
by Randa france | 13.048 Posts

Quote: Pepé Le Pew wrote in post #17
A MiFi is a small stand-alone wireless device which you use to create a small WiFi network (a hotspot) of your own.....If you want to get access to the Internet anywhere (well, pretty much anywhere) via a laptop or tablet (or both), then a MiFi like the one Rod has is just the ticket. I've got one on an Orange monthly contract. It costs me nine quid a month for an unlimited amount of data, and it's the dog's undercarriage.

Wow. Now that's gone and put le chat amongst les pigeons. If we work out how much we pay some camp sites for the use of their wifi over 12 months then it's not that far short of your nine squids x 12. Would we need a new phone though? We're off to pick our kid's brains about this but if you've got more info. as well it would be much appreciated. Keep it simple though

Quote: Pepé Le Pew wrote in post #17
You won't be able to boost an existing site signal per se anyway. You have no control over the strength at which the signal is transmitted; what you need to do is to increase your ability to receive that signal.
A range extender like this one may well work. I've used one to get better WiFi reception in Mrs P's office up the top of the garden, and it works well. It's very little, which is good, but it won't do anything if it can't latch on to a signal to extend into your van. It also needs 230v, obviously.

Thanks Pete and Rod for this and the other links as well. I like the Turbotenna one as well although it would look rather like a machine gun nest from a distance Bit pricey as well...

You've both given me a lot to think about
Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:18 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:25 am
by Crow (deleted)

Buy the bl**dy Huwei and its external aerial, there is no contract and you only buy the sim card
when you go away. When abroad you buy the French sim card and it all works.
Mind you that turbo jobby looking like a machine gun might mean you meet lots of french police

Last edited Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:26 am | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:32 am

Quote: Crow wrote in post #22
Buy the bl**dy Huwei...
Gasp...

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:15 pm
by Frantone (deleted)

Should be 'bruddy'!

Stercus accidit!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:32 pm
by Eribanut | 2.026 Posts

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #16
Quote: Crow wrote in post #2
I bought a Huwaei (unlocked) and use '3G' pre-paid sim cards.
The later model Huwaei has provision for an external aerial.

Back again with more questions. Rod posted the above just before Christmas and to be honest, I'm still a little baffled by it all particularly the sim card bit as I'm not intending to use it with a mobile phone.

If I were to purchase this item plus the optional aerial is it just a matter of plugging it into an appropriate hole in my laptop or does it work as a stand alone item with aerial that intercepts a weak wifi signal, boosts it and pass it on to my laptop?

Sorry to be a little thick but all this stuff is a lot beyond me . As this item comes highly recommended by Rod then if it'll work in the way I want it to then that's good enough for me. In short I only want to boost the wifi signal on a camp site so that it has more chance of reaching my laptop in my Eriba.

I notice on rival products that they claim range measurements eg. 100 metres. Does this mean what I think, that in simple terms, I can effectively be 100 metres further away from a weak signal and get the same results? If so, what is the increased range of the Huawei-E5332? Unless I've missed it, I can't find any claims although I'll have another look once I've posted this.
Thanks for your patience.
Roger

Currys are selling the Huwaei for T mobile for 20 quid at moment

Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis
Tempus fugit; carpe diem
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:58 pm
by Frantone (deleted)

The Three MiFi can be bought and used on a payg basis with no monthly contract just top up when required. Unused data is lost after a month but if you manage your usage carefully losses can be minimised. The real benefit is that you can top up again even after not using it for months. There is a new service by Three called 'Feel at home', this includes France. It has reduced charges for mobile broadband in many countries.
We have used our three MiFi for some years in this country and the coverage is noticeably better than O2 (for example) and much improved. We tend to use site wifi, when it is free or cheap, for emailing etc but there is often not enough bandwidth for anything more intensive such as live sport events. This is when the MiFi comes into its own.

Stercus accidit!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:41 pm
by Steamdrivenandy (deleted)

But where does the midi get its signal? If it's a carp signal in the first place then surely no amount of gear will produce an excellent signal? And if you get an excellent signal anyway you don't need extra gear?

Amber a Lunar Quasar 464 Sussex Amberley Sussex Caravans dealer special pushing a '59 reg. Kia Cee'd 3 SW 1.6 CRDi Automatic, a rough towing ratio of 86%.
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:58 am
by Sparks | 36 Posts

This sounds good, but having just checked the Three site, France doesn't appear to be included within the "Feel at Home' package. Has there been a recent change?
Don't you find that streaming for live sport etc gobbles up your data allowance?

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:28 am
by Aaron Calder | 3.797 Posts

I would go for the simple, reliable, low-tech solution every time.

1. Park caravan as close to WiFi signal as possible

2. If this doesn't work, walk to reception area and use laptop there.

Do you really want to be faffing around for hours on a computer when you are on holiday? I don't.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:51 am
by Frantone (deleted)

You're right Sparks, France is not in the Feel At Home package yet. The pet shop man's brother was lying!

Stercus accidit!
Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 86 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12659 topics and 106590 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1