Marshmallow Toasting

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:57 pm
by Steamdrivenandy (deleted)

OK I sort of understand marshmallow toasting if you've got a barbecue running, but, in the UK anyway, this tends to be a Summerish pastime.

So why do our North American cousins include it in their Christmas songs so much? Indeed it's not as if it's anything to do with the warmer parts of the USA because videos tend to show singers wrapped up against the cold and performing in a snowscape. When did burning marshmallows become an intrinsic part of the US Christmas festivities and why?

I don't think marshmallows had been invented when the Baby Jesus was born and as far as I know the Three Kings brought Gold, Frankincense and Myrrh not marshmallows. I haven't heard that Angels or obdurate donkeys have a particular fancy for pink and white puffy sweets, although I do know a shepherd of sorts who makes barbecues from 45 gallon drums and he has a fairly sweet tooth. It's stretching a point to suggest innkeepers with no room are generally big marshmallow fans and I bet at the point of birth Mary would have told Joseph where he could stick his marshmallows.

No, it's the mystery of Christmas.

Amber a Lunar Quasar 464 Sussex Amberley Sussex Caravans dealer special pushing a '59 reg. Kia Cee'd 3 SW 1.6 CRDi Automatic, a rough towing ratio of 86%.
Scroll up

RE: Marshmallow Toasting

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:27 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

Quote: Steamdrivenandy wrote in post #1
I don't think marshmallows had been invented when the Baby Jesus was born and as far as I know the Three Kings brought Gold, Frankincense and Myrrh not marshmallows. I haven't heard that Angels or obdurate donkeys have a particular fancy for pink and white puffy sweets

Well I wouldn't be too sure on that. In ancient Egypt, the sap from the root of the Mallow plant which is where the humble marshmallow gets it's name from, was used to make medicinal syrup and ointment. It wasn't until much later that this same sap became a source of Candy. So it's quite conceivable that the Three Kings were carrying a pot or two of this amber nectar in their First Aid kits enroute to Bethlehem. It's open to debate that had they known that melted in a cup of hot coffee or placed on a Bar-B-Q that marshmallows taste absolutely delicious, they would have broken camp and ended up in Bethlehem or in fact simply stayed put and had a party of their own.

2013 Triton 430, VW Touran TDI BM

Last edited Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:28 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:58 pm
by Randa france | 13.048 Posts

Quote: Deeps wrote in post #2
So it's quite conceivable that the Three Kings were carrying a pot or two of this amber nectar in their First Aid kits enroute to Bethlehem.

I agree. I think every caravan should carry a First Aid Kit You know it makes sense Frank
( see you've finished oiling your boat )
R

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:09 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #3
I think every caravan should carry a First Aid Kit You know it makes sense Frank

now why didn't I think of that?

2013 Triton 430, VW Touran TDI BM

Last edited Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:14 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:39 am
by Crow (deleted)

I worked for Cadbury/ Pascal Murray and we actually had a Marshmallow 'plant'
It was one of my favourite areas within the factory, Mmmm!

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 96 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12659 topics and 106590 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0