EHU cable storage

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:45 am
by Crow (deleted)

Originally I bought an EHU cable storage bag, it lasted a couple of years before the zip went.
Eyleting it, so it bcould be laced up proved useless so now it just travels as a big loose looped
coil. This is ok as long as I have time to dry it off as I coil it, if it has to be stored wet I would rather
it went into a bag. Does anyone have a good way of storing their EHU cable?

Scroll up

RE: EHU cable storage

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:10 am
by Aaron Calder | 3.797 Posts

I have the same problem, Rod.

My first 25m cable was given to me by a neighbour who was giving up caravanning but it was a heavier duty than normal and very difficult to stow as it kinked and twisted badly.

Last summer I bought a slightly thinner section, ready made-up 25m cable from an accessory shop that came complete with a plastic bag for stowage. The only problem is that this one also kinks and is very difficult to get back into its bag.

If we are moving between sites I usually end up just chucking the badly coiled thing into the caravan before I lock the door as it's the first thing I'll need when pitching.

I have thought about making up a plywood frame around which I could wind the cable but so far haven't got round to doing it. The next project?

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:11 am
by Randa france | 13.049 Posts

'morning Rod. For a number of years we've used one of those cheap travelling bags that used to be given away as a set of three when you bought an item of clothing or similar off a mail order catalogue.
Its dimensions are very much the same as this sports bag but it's not as posh
Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:33 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:14 am
by Steamdrivenandy (deleted)

Trouble is that anything you make or buy to coil/store a cable adds weight, the caravanner's enemy (in more way (weigh) than one.

Amber a Lunar Quasar 464 Sussex Amberley Sussex Caravans dealer special pushing a '59 reg. Kia Cee'd 3 SW 1.6 CRDi Automatic, a rough towing ratio of 86%.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:21 am
by Aaron Calder | 3.797 Posts

Quote: Steamdrivenandy wrote in post #4
Trouble is that anything you make or buy to coil/store a cable adds weight, the caravanner's enemy (in more way (weigh) than one.
I could offset it against the TV and satellite dish that I don't have, and the Aquaroll, and the water heater, and the Superkettle etc, etc..

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet

Last edited Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:21 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:55 am
by Deeps (deleted)

Personally I've always used a cable reel like the one in the attached image. If wet/dirty I wind it in with one hand whilst holding a damp cloth around the exposed cable with the other hand. The reel itself is a tiny fraction of the combined weight so carrying 25m of loose, twisted cable doesn't enter into the equation.
This model also the CEE male/female plug fitted as standard and also has two additional European type sockets. This means I can sling the reel under the van and then with the use of a 2m adapter cable, run a supply to the van socket. From one of the other two European sockets I intend running a protected extension cable into the awning for any electrical needs there.
Cable Reel.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

2013 Triton 430, VW Touran TDI BM and a Yellow Submarine of course.

мы прибываем невидимые
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:10 am
by Randa france | 13.049 Posts

Quote: Deeps wrote in post #6
Personally I've always used a cable reel.... This means I can sling the reel under the van and then with the use of a 2m adapter cable, run a supply to the van socket.

Yes, but be very, very careful shipmate...
Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:32 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:22 am
by Crow (deleted)

I am very wary of winders as I have seen a few that have overheated badly,
due to not being completely unwound, some have a built in cut out so that
you have to unwind them.
I think a tough bag will have to do me, but I do like your reel.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:51 am
by Deeps (deleted)

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #7
Yes, but be very, very careful shipmate..

Oh you're absolutely right of course but do have some experience of things electrical as you know.
I always pull the entire 25m length off the reel prior to putting it to use as I do with any other type of reel/extensions.
Any extensions are only to supply low wattage/current draw appliances and would never consider running two high amp rated appliances at one time off the one cable e.g. 2kW heater along with 2kW kettle.
Additionally, I have my cables tested annually. I thought proof of this was compulsory at CC and CC&C sites having read it somewhere although I may be confusing this with something else.

2013 Triton 430, VW Touran TDI BM and a Yellow Submarine of course.

мы прибываем невидимые
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:35 am
by Frantone (deleted)

I use a purpose made reel but not the common orange, solid-sided jobby. It is yellow and open sided which allows the wet cable to drain and dry quickly. It has 25m of yellow arctic cable rated for 16amps which stays flexible.

Stercus accidit!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:05 pm
by Eribanut | 2.026 Posts

I can recommend these bags that are very good quality and reasonable price .
I have bought the cable bag and a couple of peg bags one for pegs other for storm strap

Mike

Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis
Tempus fugit; carpe diem

Last edited Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:31 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:21 am
by Crow (deleted)

That is like the bag I had, the zip is the weakness it is very fine
and really could do with being a lot tougher

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:41 pm
by KeithDM (deleted)

Quote: Eribanut wrote in post #11
I can recommend these bags that are very good quality and reasonable price .
I have bought the cable bag and a couple of peg bags one for pegs other for storm strap
Mike

Quote: A guest wrote in post #12
That is like the bag I had, the zip is the weakness it is very fine
and really could do with being a lot tougher

For more years than I care to remember, I always coiled up the cable(s) and stuffed them wherever there happened to be space (methodical, moi?!). However, with the arrival of Emile the Eriba and the need to create at least some noseweight, I bought two of the Ducksback bags last summer. These travel under the front dinette table and I have to say that I am impressed by the quality of materials and construction. Perhaps the zips have been changed?

Keith

2013 540GT & Honda CR-V 2.2 iDTEC ES-T
Emile the (less than perfect but still loveable) Eriba

Last edited Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:41 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:37 pm
by Steamdrivenandy (deleted)

I'm on my second CADAC barbecue bag. They're built like the Ducksback cable bag, but bigger.

The problem I found is that when stored in some deep cubby somewhere you're tempted to pull them out into the daylight via the handles, after all what on earth are handles for? However if the bag gets caught or snags on something there can be a helluva strain on the seams. Strangely the handles both stayed put, but the seams around the bag soon popped open, despite the plastic piping that I notice Ducksback say is 'strong' and 'helps keep its shape'.

Anyway once a seam is open it just gets worse and worse and my attempts at repair didn't help at all. Finally in desperation I emailed CADAC and they happily sent me a new bag FOC. I treat this one very tenderly and so far it's lasting well.

Amber a Lunar Quasar 464 Sussex Amberley Sussex Caravans dealer special pushing a '59 reg. Kia Cee'd 3 SW 1.6 CRDi Automatic, a rough towing ratio of 86%.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:45 pm
by Agger (deleted)

I use the same type of thing have done for many years both here and on the Continent, never had a problem. I guess being blessed and educated in the school of life helped, no education certificates here! Well noe I got at school anyway.

Just unwind it totally, preferably buy one with a thermal cut out just incase YOU (not I) forget (can't be bothered more like) to fully unwind it.

Scroll up

Visitors
6 Members and 76 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12660 topics and 106594 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 6