540 2014 purchase....

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:41 pm
by Unhitched (deleted)

Unless I hear that it is as good to go to the NEC....we are off to Poole this weekend for me to get 'hitched' to a new 540.
What to name him/ her????

Lee, ' Hitched' to Sarah....and in search of an Eriba to also be hitched to...

Last edited Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:43 pm | Scroll up

RE: 540 2014 purchase....

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:20 pm
by Steamdrivenandy (deleted)

I'd go to Poole as there's more to see and probably fewer people about so you get their undivided attention.

Amber a Lunar Quasar 464 Sussex Amberley Sussex Caravans dealer special pushing a '59 reg. Kia Cee'd 3 SW 1.6 CRDi Automatic, a rough towing ratio of 86%.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:23 pm
by Unhitched (deleted)

Poole visit aborted due to adverse weather.....
Been spending the day researching German based 540's ( thanks POP540!) . Just investigating the lack of UK fire proof reg on its upholstery .....but the colours are soooo much better than the beige that UK offer....

Lee, ' Hitched' to Sarah....and in search of an Eriba to also be hitched to...
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:03 am
by Pop540 (deleted)

Eriba troll 540 likes constant hugs, and buffs and the odd cuppa.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:30 pm
by MCINND (deleted)

You can order a selection of upholstery for you new van and don't let any dealership tell you otherwise.

David

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:36 pm

I thought you were a supporter of Jandi's line that only UK labelled fabrics were legal for here David?

Amber a Lunar Quasar 464 Sussex Amberley Sussex Caravans dealer special pushing a '59 reg. Kia Cee'd 3 SW 1.6 CRDi Automatic, a rough towing ratio of 86%.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:17 pm
by MCINND (deleted)

I'm of course a supporter of Jean and Sandy and if you ask either they will provide the many upholstery options available to the UK buyer.

David

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:26 pm

Sorry David, I thought Sandy & Jean said there was only the one fabric available that had the required labelling. Therefore purchasing a van on the Continent without the UK required labelling could leave an owner in the invidious position of not being able to pass the van on later via a dealership because it would be illegal for them to sell it under UK regulations.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:18 pm
by Pop540 (deleted)

its an interesting issue,
did I mention there was a completion with one of the clubs for a full re upholster of caravan.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:18 pm
by Unhitched (deleted)

I have been informed that I can order European fabric and the uk dealer will arrange for UK safety label and this has been the case for a couple of years.

Hoping weather improves for a 2nd attempt to get to Poole this weekend....otherwise will order via Skype

Lee, ' Hitched' to Sarah....and in search of an Eriba 540 to also be hitched to...

Last edited Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:19 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:36 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

It might be of use to those who have concerns in this regard to read this - http://www.firesafe.org.uk/furniture-and...81989-and-1993/ from which I have extracted the following:

The Furniture and Furnishings (Fire Safety) Regulations 1988 (amended 1989 and 1993) are UK law and are designed to ensure that upholstery components and composites used for furniture supplied in the UK meet specified ignition resistance levels and are suitable labelled. There are six main elements contained within the Regulations:

Filling materials must meet specified ignition requirements
Upholstery composites must be cigarette resistant
Covers must be match resistant (with certain exceptions as outlined in Section 8.2 and Appendix A5)
A permanent label must be fitted to every item of new furniture (with the exception of mattresses
and bed-bases)
A display label must be fitted to every item of new furniture at the point of sale (with the exception of mattresses, bed-bases, pillows, scatter cushions, seat pads, loose covers sold separately from the furniture and stretch covers)
The first supplier of domestic upholstered furniture in the UK must maintain records for five years to prove compliance. The requirements regarding testing and labelling of items are detailed in Schedules 1-7 of the Regulations. Schedules 1-5 provide detailed information regarding the testing requirements for foam and non-foam fillings, composites, interliner’s and covers. Schedules 6-7 provide detailed information regarding the display and permanent labelling of the final item.

Within the same document the following:

Product ranges covered by the Regulations

Products covered by the Regulations comprise six groups (A to F)

A) All types of upholstered seating including chairs, settees, padded stools and ottomans. Children’s furniture, foot stools, sofa-beds, futons and other convertibles, bean bags and floor cushions, nursery furniture and upholstered items designed to contain a baby or small child. Domestic upholstered furniture that is supplied in kit form for self-assembly. Second hand furniture, upholstered head-boards, footboards and side rails of beds.

B) Furniture for use in the open air (garden and outdoor furniture) which is suitable for use in a dwelling (homes and caravans), upholstery in caravans (although not vehicles or boats). Cane furniture which includes upholstery.

C) Divans, bed-bases, mattresses, pillows, and mattress pads (toppers) (FILLING MATERIAL ONLY)

D) Scatter cushions and seat pads (FILLING MATERIAL ONLY)

E) Permanent covers for furniture (textiles, coated textiles, leather etc) Loose and stretch covers for furniture. Covers for non-visible parts of furniture

F) Foam and non-foam filling material for furniture

All furniture and products in the above groups need to comply with the Regulations. The specific information and exceptions to each group are discussed separately in the FIRA guide.

The Regulations do not apply to furniture intended for export and furniture manufactured prior to 1950.
The Regulations do not apply to sleeping bags, bedclothes (including duvets), loose covers for mattresses (i.e. mattress protectors), pillowcases, curtains and carpets. However, it is important to note that these products are covered under General Product Safety Regulations 2005 (GPSR)..

Another document:
http://www.fira.co.uk/document/fira-flam...ber-2011pdf.pdf

If my reading of this is correct then it's not simply covers/fabric that one should be concerned about but also the filling used.

2013 Triton 430, VW Touran TDI BM
мы прибываем невидимые - we arrive invisible

Last edited Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:54 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:52 pm
by Pop540 (deleted)

what are the german rules?

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:56 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

There aren't any that I can ascertain at this time although that doesn't mean to say that non exist. Pages 39 and 40 of this document list the countries that have regulations in force: http://www.see.ed.ac.uk/FIRESEAT/files08/04-Guillaume.pdf

2013 Triton 430, VW Touran TDI BM
мы прибываем невидимые - we arrive invisible

Last edited Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:01 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:01 pm
by Unhitched (deleted)

Working in a senior position for a national company which constantly imports fabrics etc I know there has not been a problem for some years. Just need to know your stuff, ask the right questions and bingo....the choice offering upholstery and filler contents increases significantly for anything including Eribas
It's the lazy UK. Company's that can't be bothered with the hassle and paperwork and can easily put off u suspecting UK customers with their sale talk..never trust a salesperson!!,

Lee, ' Hitched' to Sarah....and in search of an Eriba 540 to also be hitched to...

Last edited Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:03 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:13 pm

I doubt that Hymer use a different filling for their upholstery that's coming to the UK so presumably that's always complied with the regs.

Not having been privy to posts on that other place for a couple of years I may have missed a change in position concerning the other fabrics. Certainly a few years back we were being told there was only one fabric that Hymer used that could be labelled for UK sale. It was a silly limitation as I very much doubt that Hymer would use fabric that was unsafe, but that was the effect of the UK law.

Now it's great if someone has found a way to get the appropriate labels fitted to other fabrics, but it probably involves the dealer in extra work and record keeping etc, so maybe that's why they might not be so keen.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 75 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12659 topics and 106590 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0