The World's Falling Apart

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:21 am
by Steamdrivenandy (deleted)

There was a precursor last Summer when I ordered a Google phone on the web and Google supplied two, with different order no's, on different days.

But it all really started 62 days ago, Dec. 12th 2013.

My wallet went missing with all the loss, hassle and expense that incurs.

Roughly a fortnight later my brand new replacement debit card (as yet replacement walletless) went missing too. Strangely after visiting the same shop as I last used my missing wallet. Aldi, Sandbach, Sandbach Medical Centre and Mcdonalds, Sandbach have been declared an official mini Bermuda triangle.

Then the desktop computer started playing up and eventually got so bad that a local recovery guy took it away for a fortnight and tried to rescue our files. Result - very, very few files recovered/saved, masses lost and a bill for £70.

Then last week my Giff Gaff account was hacked and a £15 Goodybag purchased from my balance. As the GB is only valid for a month and I usually spend about £1 a month on my mobile, it was an almost total loss to me. Luckily Giff Gaff saw sense and refunded my £15. Good eggs those GG people.

Does anyone blame me for being a tad paranoid?

It's not like I make a habit of losing stuff, my previous wallet loss was 20 years ago when it was 'lifted' on a crowded Kings Cross Station forecourse.

Amber a Lunar Quasar 464 Sussex Amberley Sussex Caravans dealer special pushing a '59 reg. Kia Cee'd 3 SW 1.6 CRDi Automatic, a rough towing ratio of 86%.

Last edited Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:24 am | Scroll up

RE: The World's Falling Apart

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:29 am
by crow (deleted)

I wonder what personal information they harvested from your wallet, Andy?

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:03 pm
by hampshireman (deleted)

I know the feeling mate, but when I saw your title I though it was moan about the weather. The met got it right as far as accuracy today down here.

A painting wot i done
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:31 pm
by Steamdrivenandy (deleted)

Weather here as predicted, wet and the wind is picking up.

Not sure how much could be garnered from my wallet.

Unusually it contained no cash when lost.

The usual credit and debit cards, but none were used fraudulently.

Shell, John Lewis and Waitrose loyalty cards, North Yorks library card, driving licence with address, blood donor card, 6024 Preservation Soc. membership card, Lloyds TSB ID Card from 8 years ago, a tiny photo of me at about 4 years old in my pedal car with my Granny's parrot on the bonnet. No written hints or anything regarding any passwords or PIN codes.

So nothing of any great use to a fraudsman or that would help explain any of the other stuff that's happened.

Amber a Lunar Quasar 464 Sussex Amberley Sussex Caravans dealer special pushing a '59 reg. Kia Cee'd 3 SW 1.6 CRDi Automatic, a rough towing ratio of 86%.
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:10 pm
by hampshireman (deleted)

We had a moment like that some years back when touring France. We were using Canvas Holidays where they provide tents and everything you need.
We went birding on the Camrgue and left our Mazda 626 on a carpark. When we got back, we got in OK and drove to a nearby town as madam wanted the loo. She came back out in seconds literally for the penny and then we realised her handbag had been got at. I had some loose cash so off she went but as I searched the vehicle I realised that everything we needed like documents, cash, including passports was in her bag. Stupid I know now to put it all in one place. I found that they had screwdrivered the passenger lock and not the dirvers, hence our use of the car. We reported to the cops and got various bits of paper which allowed us to get out of France, with no passports in about 10 days.
We phoned our son and asked him to transfer some cash to the bank where we were. That went through OK but in the meantime, the staff at Canvas Holidays had a whip round of the Brits on site and raised about 50f which saw us through for a while. We made calls to Sentinel who we had our cards registered and insured with and they stopped them. On returning home we found various sums had exited our bank account and had a go at Midland as the bank was then and they refunded everything.

A painting wot i done
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:04 pm
by Pop540 (deleted)

Yes the world does seem to be falling apart,
life is manure one problem after another....
just remember someone else may be suffering worse, although i hope not for their sake..
hope things get sorted soon

Edit
are you aware non members can read this? in other words the whole wide world. internet

also forgot to mention, I watched a demo for backup storage amazing what is on telly, during sleep hours,
apparently that particular make shown in the demo, can download all files without the computer working properly, believe computer has to have power.
just some extra info that may be incorrect, as the presenter also said yes to something else techy with another product, but got it wrong. according to the questions page of said telly channel. ouch

Eriba troll 540 likes constant hugs, and buffs and the odd cuppa.

Last edited Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:20 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:16 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.731 Posts

Quote: Pop540 wrote in post #6
...are you aware non members can read this? in other words the whole wide world. internet
Yep.

I doubt very much that the whole wide world is reading it, though. Most days there are only a couple of guests on, and that's probably the same two people each time; one from the NSA and one from GCHQ.

No sweat

Last edited Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:17 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:45 pm
by Unhitched (deleted)

Quote: Steamdrivenandy wrote in post #4
Weather here as predicted, wet and the wind is picking up.
Quote: Steamdrivenandy wrote in post #1

Does anyone blame me for being a tad paranoid?

So nothing of any great use to a fraudsman or that would help explain any of the other stuff that's happened.

Yep you are sounding paranoid! Surely it's better to admit to losing your stuff rather than losing your mind!!!
Not sure why you think losing your wallet and then card is remotely connected to your PC going wrong! I can see the connection to your GG account being hacked into though...how much do trust the man who took away your computer??? Sounds dodgy to me. What else did he manage to get access to? Your email account?? Bank account etc....
Or is someone out to make it look like you are losing your mind?
"Just cos I'm paranoid doesn't mean someone is NOT out to get me"....!

People on here say you should get out more....maybe you had better stay at home to monitor the situation.
Surveillance camera?

Worst things happen...chin up and all that!

Lee, ' Hitched' to Sarah....and in search of an Eriba 540 to also be hitched to...

Last edited Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:45 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
6 Members and 80 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12660 topics and 106594 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 6