Eriba Cigarette Socket plug wont fit! Part 2

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:35 pm
by Morphy | 972 Posts

I have just had another thought how hard is it to change the Hella cigarette socket to a 3 pin plug socket can this be done easy enough. And what do I need? Thank You

Morphy

Last edited Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:35 pm | Scroll up

RE: Eriba Cigarette Socket plug wont fit! Part 2

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:51 pm
by Steamdrivenandy (deleted)

Do you mean a 12V three pin socket? Is there such a beast?

Amber a Lunar Quasar 464 Sussex Amberley Sussex Caravans dealer special pushing a '59 reg. Kia Cee'd 3 SW 1.6 CRDi Automatic, a rough towing ratio of 86%.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:53 pm
by Morphy | 972 Posts

I have two three pin sockets and two Hella type sockets can you change the Hella type sockets to two three pin sockets.
Thank You Morphy

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:05 pm
by crow (deleted)

There are three, three-pin 12v configuration used in british caravans
This the round pin one http://www.caravanstuff4u.co.uk/caravan-...9328000444.html
there are two flat pin configurations

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:19 pm

Is that fitting relevant to the question though Rod? All it does is turn a three-pin (round) configuration 12V socket into a cigarette lighter type 12V socket. My understanding is the OP was asking if the Hella 12V sockets on his van can be used/turned into 240V.

overall I'd say they're not worth fiddling with and if he wants additional 240V sockets that he has a new spur run off the existing 240V system. A qualified electrician/caravan tech. would advise him and quote for free.

Amber a Lunar Quasar 464 Sussex Amberley Sussex Caravans dealer special pushing a '59 reg. Kia Cee'd 3 SW 1.6 CRDi Automatic, a rough towing ratio of 86%.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:42 pm
by crow (deleted)

I think the OP was asking about a 12v 3-pin plug 240v is not mentioned is it?
Perhaps you are right Andy.

NO you cannot change 12v to 240v without making a new circuit,

DON'T connect 240 to 12v cable

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:59 pm

I've re-read the first post again Rod and it's difficult to know whether Morph wants to turn the Hella into a 3-pin 12V or substitute it for a 3-pin 240V.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:13 pm
by Morphy | 972 Posts

Thank you for your reply, I have two normal 3 pin uk household type sockets in the Puck both work fine.

Then there are two cigarette type sockets which I thought was ordinary uk car type but I bought a television adapter with a uk cigarette type plug on. This would leave my other two uk type 3 pin sockets available for other things whilst the tv was on.

I then tried to plug the cigarette uk type plug into the cigarette type socket of the Puck and it does not fit. Since then I have found out it is a hella type socket which is baffling me because it is supposed to be a uk Puck.

I can either A,buy an adaptor hella to uk or B, buy a hella plug and take the uk cigarette type plug on the television off and swap to hella.

Sorry for any confusion I am beginning to confuse myself.
Morphy

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:26 pm

Are we talking the 12V Hella type sockets on one end of the strip lights as were fitted to both my '01 and '05 Trolls or are they stand-alone sockets fitted into cabinetry somewhere?

In either case they use a fairly standard 12V plug but there is a plethora of types and you need empirical advice to select the correct type. I've never been tempted to use the 12V sockets so I can't help in that area.

I have heard that using 12V to run TVs can be fraught, unless they're specially adapted as the current can be 'peaky',for want of a better word, which causes issues. Again we don't bother with a TV in the van so have never gone into the subject in any depth.

Last edited Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:28 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:33 pm
by Morphy | 972 Posts

Yes they are fit into the cabinet and as you can see I really don't know anything about these type of sockets. I just assumed (I know you should not assume) that if it was not an ordinary uk type cigarette type socket then it must be hella as it is smaller than the uk type.

Yes the tv is 12v ready and it is the first time for us to take a tv as it will be the first time we will have been in a caravan usually tent.

Morphy

Last edited Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:09 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:10 pm
by Ribski | 1.467 Posts

Firstly I'd check that the 12 volt is DC and not AC (AC would ruin your TV Eribas without a fitted leisure battery can be supplying 12 volt AC - which is perfect for lighting BUT NO GOOD FOR ELECTRICAL APPARATUS ! ! !

Also it is important to have the 12 volt via the battery circuit as this helps to provide a "smoother DC supply" . Even what appears to be a normal DC current from an Eriba Transformer/Rectifier directly - can be VERY badly "smoothed" unless taken from the battery output circuit and cause serious damage to equipment powered by it

If you're happy with the 12 volt supply, then fit a suitable cig. lighter plug - this is different from the usual car type, and was suitable for use in older Landrovers /tractors etc. so is available from farm equipment suppliers etc, or a universal one is made by Hella - try Internet search (they adapt from normal car type plugs to the type that fits in the Eriba socket.

Hope this helps - all my advice only I'm NOT qualified in this subject !!!!

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:18 pm
by Morphy | 972 Posts

Yes thanks that makes sense,
Morphy

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:33 am
by crow (deleted)
Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

Why not browse the interweb and look at the photos of various adaptors,
it will give you an idea of what is available, for instance http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/caravan-12v-adapter

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:00 pm
by Morphy | 972 Posts

Hiya Crow Yes I have already done that I have picked one out off ebay going to send for it today be here next wed/thurs I will report back when I get it.
Morphy

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:44 pm
by EllieMay (deleted)

Wow. It's strange to see Millie's previous owner asking the same questions that are running through my head!!

I've just taken delivery of a hella usb port and it fits nice and snug & works charging my phone. I can live off the grid. Result !!!

Eyes down a bit.... Millie the Puck & a Fiat 500.
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 93 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12659 topics and 106590 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0