Campervans and Eribas

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:32 pm
by Steamdrivenandy (deleted)

Now we have several people with VW/Puck combos on board I'd like to ask them a question that's been bugging me.

Firstly I'll state that I've had a campervan, albeit a Horizons Unlimited Innovation 1, built on a SWB Ford Transit. The converters snip off the roof and add an aerodynamic fibreglass moulded roof which provides room for relatively tall roof lockers and 6ft 5ins headroom throughout. They also build two single passenger seats behind the cab seats making it a genuine four seater with two single beds or add a bolster to turn it into a double bed. Add to that a sink/hob combo, a fridge, loads of worktop, a wardrobe and a toilet 'room' with a proper Thetford, plus a boiler and a diesel fired space heater. Between the rear wheel arches a 2ft deep space, like a car's boot, which in our case had a two dog crate filling it, but could be used for golf gear, climbing ropes, scuba stuff, anything really.

I often wondered about pulling a caravan with it (125PS TDCi engine), but always came to the conclusion that I'd end up doubling up so much that it wouldn't be worthwhile. If it was a two berth caravan, like a Puck, Familia or some Tritons that could work because we had four seats in the van, so there'd be two independent couple bedrooms. However we'd also have two kitchens, of similar size and capability which seems a waste and unnecessary. Only one van would have the loo, which would be tough on the Puck/Familia users.

Two and a half years using the Ford as daily transport never caused me any insurmountable problems, although at nearly 9ft tall multi-storey car parks and those with height restrictions were out of the question.

In the end it was a relief to get back to a 'normal' car for towing and a nice Troll to drag along behind.

I wonder how our Puck pulling VW members find it?

Amber a Lunar Quasar 464 Sussex Amberley Sussex Caravans dealer special pushing a '59 reg. Kia Cee'd 3 SW 1.6 CRDi Automatic, a rough towing ratio of 86%.

Last edited Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:33 pm | Scroll up

RE: Campervans and Eribas

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:48 am
by crow (deleted)

The Puck is the bedroom, the VW is the lounge/library I thought everyone knew that Andy.

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:25 am
by Aaron Calder | 3.797 Posts

Our first foray into camping was with a Y registration 2L air-cooled VW Devon' Moonraker' conversion, I think it was called a Type 25 - the one with the dynamic attributes of a badly-designed house brick.

We toured in Germany, Northern Spain and all over France with it but I always found it to be asthmatic on the hills, to have vague steering, appalling fuel consumtion and atrocious brakes that faded on long descents. The interior was cramped and claustrophobic, there was no heating and using it in cold weather was miserable. It was much better when we bought a free-standing awning that more than doubled the size of the accommodation but it was all too much of a compromise.

We loved it. Well, until we were descending from Covadonga in the Picos de Europa and the damned brakes failed and nearly killed us. After that it had to go.

I've never seen the logic of towing a caravan with such a woefully underpowered vehicle and after a period of tent camping we had a Damascene conversion and bought the Triton which ticks (nearly) all the boxes and it's great having a normal car in which to tour the areas that we visit. I still don't understand why people buy motorhomes and then tow a car behind them.

Last year at Le Moulin Fort near Chenonceaux there were two immaculately restored split-screen VW campers (without caravans in tow) pitched on adjoining pitches with a sun shade between them and boy, did they attract some attention! I couldn't resist going over for a chat but I wasn't tempted.

Now, a Bailey 'Senator' with all the bells and whistles.........................hmmm, there's a thought.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:06 pm
by Blueyonder (deleted)

I was brought up spending virtually every weekend away in a VW splitty. Two adults and two children with no awning and we had a great time. We never spent long periods away in it though, with two weeks in the summer the only long break.

We have a T5 that we bought new in 2010 and had converted bespoke for us. It has the standard side kitchen but we sleep in the pop top and have no rock and roll bed, to give more floor and storage space. The front captain seats swivel round and we have a table that inserts in the floor. We have a VW bike rack on the back and a Fiamma wind out awning. This is the perfect set up for weekends away and longer breaks if the weather is good. We take it out just to go somewhere walking for the day, so we can change if we get wet or muddy, make hot drinks and/or hot food when its cold.

IMG_102337236989639.jpeg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

We have gone on quite a few long breaks (one month or more) with the van since we've had her, including 4 months on the trot around southern europe. We had a great time but we did get a bit of 'cabin fever' and also the bed in the pop top gets tiresome after about 2 weeks. We ordered the Triton (with the long beds) for these reasons, as we intend to travel for probably 6 months of the year, every year once we retire. We will still use the van on its own for weekend and short breaks from home in the UK. We can take the van wherever a car goes. We can get in most car parks with a height restriction (although multi storeys are a non no obviously), we can ignore all the 'no motorhome' signs in Europe. So, when we are with the Triton, we can leave it on the site and go touring/sightseeing in the van, with all our walking gear on board, changes of clothes (and somewhere to change) and fridge and kitchen to prepare lunch if we find a great view . Also, if we go somewhere for the day and want to stay over to see more we can for just the cost of a pitch..

One thing we love about the van when travelling is the space around you and the fact you are sat up high and can see so much more. We took our Audi to Switzerland last year and the year before because we were meeting family from north America and staying in a chalet. The van has only 2 travelling seats so we couldn't take her. We are now going to put 2 rear seats in the van so we never have to drive a long way in the car ever again! Our Audi is only a couple of years old, full leather reclining seats and other comforts etc. But I would choose to travel in the van any day.

Having said all that, I couldn't as an adult do a splitty. I am 6 feet 1 (female lol) and they are for shorter people or die hard dubbers!

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:05 pm

'Now, a Bailey 'Senator' with all the bells and whistles.........................hmmm, there's a thought.'

Wash your mouth out you bad boy!

Oh!

Now a Lunar Clubman Saros Edition ..........hmmm, there's a thought.

http://www.lunarcaravans.com/brands/luna...s-edition/saros

Nah! It's just a tarty piece.

Amber a Lunar Quasar 464 Sussex Amberley Sussex Caravans dealer special pushing a '59 reg. Kia Cee'd 3 SW 1.6 CRDi Automatic, a rough towing ratio of 86%.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:43 pm

I take your points BY, although I guess you could do with an Eriba without a kitchen, maybe using that saved space for a really good size shower room. That would cut out duplication of furniture and still allow you to use the VW independently. Sadly I doubt anyone could persuade Hymer to build a caravan without any kitchen at all, but it would set a trend.

Apart from the height I'm sure you'd love the Innovation, with a central corridor between the rear seats you have access to the rear of the van at all times and a massive Heki skylight above floods it with light. It's partner, the Cavarno, doesn't have the rear 'boot' but has a proper oven/grill instead in the offside kitchen and a shower room with fold up washbasin and Thetford on the nearside. They did produce a folding roof version but it didn't sell well because it lost all the roof locker storage.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:26 pm
Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

Wonder of wonders I've just come across this on Ebay Werbung: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?V...em=301109945861. As far as I can tell after 5 years and a disfigured number plate I believe it's our old camper up for sale. There can't be many '06 Innovations in Magnum Grey with blue leather upholstery and especially with a totally removable nearside rear seat. Well we still have the Barjo double dog crate that fits across the back, it's folded up in the garage.

The following contents have been linked to this post:

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:21 pm
by Blueyonder (deleted)

Hi Andy,

we bought the Triton as Eribas have longevity and it will hopefully see us out. We're only mid 50's. However, I suspect that there will come a time where we will switch to a car to tow, so the kitchen in the Triton will be necessary then, so it's not really wasted. Also, the two fridges will come in handy - one just for beer and wine

I do love VWs though, and the VW community come from all walks of life, are always friendly and will always help eachother out.

We were supposed to get our Triton end of February but haven't had the call from AL yet. Can't wait to get some practice in before a long hot summer!

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:41 am
by Billabus (deleted)

We own a 2010 Golf tdi, a 2001 T4campervan and a 1977 VW Beetle Cabriolet so perhaps, as whe have recently bought a 2001 Puck, that we fall squarely int the VW/ Eriba slot. We bought the Eriba to tow with the Cabriolet so that we can enjoy a little more luxury than under canvas. There are many VW/ Eriba combos on the VW scene and they look just right together! Perhaps it's just a "'Dub Thing" ! After all, class will always shine through!

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:09 am
by Randa france | 13.048 Posts

Blimey, so you're spoilt for choice then.

If that was me I'd be laying awake the night before a trip, arguing with myself over which tow vehicle to use.

Have you got any photos that you could perhaps add to the galleries, we would love to see them?

Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:11 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:54 am
by Deeps (deleted)

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #10

Have you got any photos that you could perhaps add to the galleries, we would love to see them?

Randa

No we wouldn't cos then we'd all be jealous.

2013 Triton 430, VW Touran TDI BM
мы прибываем невидимые - we arrive invisible

My You Tube Channel

Last edited Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:53 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:48 am
by simonspain (deleted)

We have just bought a very nice 2009 230GT Puck L and it just goes perfectly with our 2014 VW T5 California SE. I worried about doubling up the kitchen etc. but in fact it means that you can use the Cali to load all the gear….kayak…folding bikes….prams….skateboards…etc. and still have a useable bed upstairs and then a living room/bed in the Eriba. Or use the Eriba to haul the gear and use the Cali as the main living area. I found I was getting close to running our of space to put carseats and stuff at night to use the lower bed in the Cali, but it's still an amazing camper van and unlike a bigger type, we have the choice of small and go anywhere everyday useful vehicle or just plug on the Eriba Puck and its a whole extra van basically. With bigger campers you can't just cut a bit off when you don't need it! LOL I think maybe anything bigger would be different as you wouldn't end up using your camper van and I didnt want to sit in a 25 grand new Triton and not use a 50 grand VW Camper, so the Puck really makes sense to us. It's no taller and no wider than the T5 with my roof bars fitted, so goes in the same low parking spaces etc. Yes, its long, but not that long and with the T5 140bhp motor, we feel very little change when driving with it in tow. I actually miss the Puck when it's not plugged in! LOL. Puck L has a portapotti space which is good if the kids are sleeping in the Eriba and us adults are in the Cali…which also has a portapotti. Really happy with the VW Camper/Eriba caravan combo !!! :-)

, and like this post!
Last edited Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:59 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:02 am
by hampshireman (deleted)

Good to hear it, you must be extremely wealthy!

We moved from VWs to the Eriba and love it.

Puck 225L pushing CMax 1.9TDI Ghia
Pepe's Walk
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:04 am
by Poptop320 | 2.618 Posts

I have always wondered how do you manage booking pitches with a campervan and caravan in tow? Do you get asked to book two pitches if you are using them both. The way CC sites work they will class it as two habitation units that need the regulation fire break....

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:44 pm
by Frantone (deleted)

We did it for a while (VW T5 camper and Eriba) and as far as site staff were concerned we always described the camper as our 'towing' vehicle.

]

Troll gently nudging up against Galaxy.

Last edited Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:53 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 100 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12659 topics and 106590 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1