Hello...

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:01 pm
by Herby (deleted)

I'm not an Eriba owner yet, but hoping to buy a 1980s Puck… very impressed with all the great photos on here :-)

Scroll up

RE: Hello...

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:05 pm
by Randa france | 13.049 Posts

Hi Herby and welcome to the forum. If we can be of any help with your search just ask. Are you looking for an early '80's Puck or doesn't it matter? There's someone on here selling a 1989 one.
regards
Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:33 pm
by hob (deleted)

Vauxhall Insignia Sri towing 2006 Triton 430 import
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:54 pm
by Herby (deleted)

Thanks for the welcome Randa!

I'd prefer an early to mid 80s model, but thanks for the suggestion.

I've been in touch with bug puck in Holland who have said more Eribas tend to be available once the warmer weather starts. I've also seen a few on ebay…but I'm nervous about bidding on something that I haven't seen. I live in Yorkshire, and the few I've been watching haven't always been very near. Getting one in decent condition is more important to me than stealing a bargain, I don't have the skills to repair one that needs a lot of work, so I'm thinking maybe buying from a dealer makes more sense.

I'm enjoying looking at the moment, anyway :-)

Cheers

Herby

Herby

Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:08 pm
by crow (deleted)

They are expensive but Automotive Leisure Eribas are usually as described,
and in my experience have gone out of their way to put any problems right.
Many people buy sight unseen from them.
If you see something you like go get it, hesitate and its sold! (whoever is selling)

Last edited Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:09 pm | Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:33 pm
by Herby (deleted)

Thanks, that's really helpful :-) I've noticed they seem to get snapped up fast!

Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:04 pm
by Eribafolk Admin. (deleted)

Hi Herby. Thanks for joining us.

As you've mentioned elsewhere, being new to caravanning, you've got a lot to find out so please ask as many questions as you like.

Regarding the purchase of an early '80's Puck, you are obviously more secure if you buy from a dealer especially if you're buying blind. However, we think we're correct in saying that most of the large distributors deal with later models so you're more likely to find an older model through the smaller retailers. There's a list of many of the UK retailers in our links section.

There are also a few Eriba enthusiasts who make a part time living from importing elderly Eribas, fixing them up and selling them on. In the main, these people are also honest people to deal with. Be very careful if buying from eBay or similar however. If it looks too good to be true, it probably is. Ask here first if you see something that catches your eye.

What to look out for when purchasing an Eriba. Hopefully others will help us out here but here are the basics.

If you look at the photos in the Classy Chassis Gallery, you'll see the skeleton of the Eriba. Most of that construction will last forever but look underneath the van at the horizontal bottom box framework. Have a good poke around it as you would a classic car. Wind the corner jacks down and have a good look around there.

You can rock the Puck about to see that the suspension looks OK. Lift the Puck up by its draw bar to see if there's much play in it and push the draw bar damper in to see if the brakes work. Also check the handbrake and jockey wheel. Walk around inside (with the corner jacks down) and see if the floor is solid.

You'll have to hitch it up to check the lights. Open all the windows and look at the window seals. Also check the seals on the fixed window to see that they're not perished. Lift the pop top and check the condition of the canvas. See that the door closes snugly and that the lock works.

The gas is a bit more difficult to check out but get the seller to demonstrate how it works and have a good sniff around while they're doing it. While you've got your nose in action generally take in the ambient smell of the Eriba. You can normally smell dampness. Open all the lockers and have a good feel around in them.

Check for a spare wheel and the date on the tyres. There's a tyre date explanation in our links section.

We're sure we've left a number of things out and hope others will add to this contribution.

Last edited Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:31 pm | Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:30 am
by Herby (deleted)

Thanks so much - that's all incredibly helpful!

Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:13 am
by hampshireman (deleted)

Welcome from Puck L owners. Bought from AL at Poole. Hope to meet up with you in the furture.

A painting wot i done
Puck 225L pushing CMax 1.9TDI Ghia
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:38 pm
by Morphy | 972 Posts

Morphy

Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:48 am
by Pop540 (deleted)

Eriba troll 540 likes constant hugs, and buffs and the odd cuppa.

Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:06 pm
by TonyH69 (deleted)

We have bought blind(ish), from bugpuck. We met them at a VW show, liked and trusted them. Will pick the puck up in April.

Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:55 pm
by Herby (deleted)

Thanks for that…it's always helpful to have a recommendation. Are you travelling to Holland to collect? I'm telling myself to take my time and not to just go for the first one I see, but it's hard to be patient...

Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:18 pm
by Eribanut | 2.026 Posts

Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis
Tempus fugit; carpe diem
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:34 pm
by Randa france | 13.049 Posts

Quote: Herby wrote in post #13
Thanks for that…it's always helpful to have a recommendation. Are you travelling to Holland to collect? I'm telling myself to take my time and not to just go for the first one I see, but it's hard to be patient...

Hi Herby.
We were exactly the same 4 years ago. We had made our minds up that a Familia 320 was the one for us but in a fairly short space of time we ran out of patience and went for a Triton. Missed that an ended up with a Troll. Don't regret it though.
We think Tony is travelling to Belgium to pick his Puck up. There's some photos of it in the Puck gallery. It looks to be in great condition.
Good luck with your search.
R and A

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

Visitors
5 Members and 90 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12660 topics and 106594 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 5