Check your tyres

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:48 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

As per the heading, it might be worth checking ones tyres. No, not for condition this time, although that's a good idea as well, but more by the way of do you have the correct tyres for your model of caravan fitted. Maybe sounds simples and obvious but there again, maybe not.

On expressing an interest to purchase, the dealer supplied us with an information sheet listing all aspects of our prospective 2013 Triton 430 purchase. As regards the tyres that were fitted it listed - 185/70 R14 as the van was uprated to 1200kg. However, more recently I have been unable to find the appropriate pressures for these size tyres in the supplied handbook. What entries there were only went up to a van uprated to 1100kg and so I fired off an email to Hymer.

In their reply it stated that the tyres size mentioned are not suitable for a Triton 430 rated at 1200kg and the correct size tyres should be 185 R14C. Um I thought, the only thing missing from the first size mentioned is the 70 but of course with the additional suffix 'C'.

As it turns out, the size advised by Hymer matched what was in the vehicle registration document although having only had a quick glance I obviously didn't spot the discrepancy and this was only confirmed when I took a drive to the storage depot and did a visual check.

Now as mentioned above, the only allowable tyre size for fitting to the Triton 430 as listed in the caravans registration document is 185 R14C and this is checked during the first inspection (MOT) due after 3 years and then bi-annually. I believe caravans in the UK are neither required to be registered or subject to periodic testing (MOT). It struck me, therefore, that there is a risk - maybe small but a risk all the same - of someone selling a caravan on that has had the incorrect tyres fitted either due to negligence or ignorance. The only time that we are allowed to have tyres fitted, whether to car or caravan etc, that are not listed in the registration document, is when a tyre manufacturer (via the dealer/tyre fitter) supplies a certificate of conformity (approved by the DOT/MOT) which in turn has to be handed over to the purchaser and which also in turn has to be presented to the authorities when the caravan is presented for test.

I think from the above that by these document entries/regulations that it's pretty hard to drive around with inappropriate or unsuitable tyres neither of which apply to the UK hence my advice that in the interest of peace of mind, let alone the safety factors, it's worth while double checking that your caravan has the correct and approved tyres fitted especially if you have obtained the van second hand or imported it from abroard.

2013 Triton 430, VW Touran TDI BM
мы прибываем невидимые - we arrive invisible

My You Tube Channel

Last edited Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:51 pm | Scroll up

RE: Check your tyres

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:45 pm
by Pop540 (deleted)

Although we dont have mot tests for caravans we do have vosa who use the police to make you drive into the vosa compound while they check you out issue warnings and remove the dangerous from the roads.
most people get the caravan serviced which does help sort these issues.

from memory
the 70 is the height from the rim to the tread
185 is the tyre width across
r stands for rim and the c may be a commercial
or the weight rating of the tyre is normally 102 or 104 or a letter at certain speed
a commercial tyre has more reinforcement and can be harder than a car tyre.
to find a new tyres you have to look at the axle rating and then look for tyre. I ended up going to the local tyre firm once worked out the rating number.

Are they replacing your tyres Deeps if they are wrong?

the 185 r14 c has been specially made for commercial applications hence weight carrying ability.
tyres must be the same size on axle

Eriba troll 540 likes constant hugs, and buffs and the odd cuppa.

Last edited Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:47 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:54 pm
by Eribafolk Admin. (deleted)

Here are the weight rating and speed rating codes :-

https://files.homepagemodules.de/b614104/f12t311p2015n5.jpg

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:07 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

Quote: Pop540 wrote in post #2
Are they replacing your tyres Deeps if they are wrong?

No, the correct tyres - 185 R 14C102L - are fitted. It was the dealer who placed 185/70 R14 on the caravans data leaflet that got it wrong either by a typing error or getting confused with normal car tyres, I don't know.

But you see now why I mentioned it's worth checking your tyres especially if the caravan has been either purchased second hand from abroad or been imported as new from abroad with new tyres. Very little from that link (a jpeg image) provided by Eribafolk Admin actually applies in this case or to any tyres fitted directly from the factory. For one thing, the load and speed ratings do not take the same form on my tyres (see in bold above) which are fitted at the factory.

Edit: I've just come across this site http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=42051 and below are a couple of relevant sentences. By the way, any bold emphasis in the text is mine:-

185R14 tyres do not have a figure for the aspect ratio. In such cases the sidewall height is 80% or 82% of the tread width.

C stands for Commercial or Van tyre which tend to have six or eight additional plies in the sidewall to cope with full loads. The tread pattern tends to be spaced wider and deeper than a car tyre and the tyre compound tends to be harder wearing, all combining to give longer service life, at the expense of ride comfort.

102 refers to the Load Index which is the most important consideration when purchasing your tyres.

I think the 'L' signifies a load rating of 850kg (each tyre) but not absolutely sure.

My You Tube Channel

Last edited Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:25 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:05 pm
by Billabus (deleted)

Very useful and pertinent article. We bought a 2001 Puck last October and used it a couple of times before Christmas. Last week I had it serviced ready for the forthcoming season ( it was last serviced in October 2012), and were advised that the tyres needed replacing as they were made in Week 34 of 2001. Yes, 2001. Needless to say, the next time "Erbie" moves from the drive will be to the tyre fitters. I am surprised that the previous service did not alert this issue as there is no reference in the relevant paperwork.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:50 pm
by Randa france | 13.049 Posts

Yes, this tyre dating business is a bit of a strange do. Last year we decided to date check the tyres on our Troll. They appeared to be new, as did the spare, when we bought our used Troll four years ago and all three tyres still had the "bristles" on the treads.
Sod's law dictated that the date code was on the inside of each of the road tyres but they were OK. The spare however was as old as the van (1999).

We've read so many horror stories about caravan tyre blow outs which if nothing else, can cause considerable damage to the wheel arch and floor area that we check our tyre pressures before every trip. Furthermore, during the journey. we take every opportunity of a bend in the road to cast an eye on each road tyre to see if it still looks inflated.

We imagine that especially as the Eriba is a small van, it would be quite easy to fall into the trap of purchasing normal car tyres for them without taking heed of the maximum tyre load codes.

Deeps. The 102 on your tyres relates to the load rating and is as you say 850 kg. The L however is the speed rating which is 120 kph or 75 mph.

Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:57 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:58 am
by Deeps (deleted)

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #6

Deeps. The 102 on your tyres relates to the load rating and is as you say 850 kg. The L however is the speed rating which is 120 kph or 75 mph.

Thanks for that, Roger, it confirms what I found for myself earlier this morning.

I omitted to mention in my original post that whilst one can be forgiven for believing (at first glance) that tyres sizes 185/17 R14 are the same as 185 R14 with only the 17 bit missed out it makes a considerable difference not only to the speed/load ratings but also to the relevant tyre pressures.

For example - the correct pressures for my 185 R14 CL102 tyres are 3.3bar whilst for the 185/17 R14 it varies between 2.6 and 2.8bar depending on whether the caravan has been rated at 900kg, 1000kg or 1100kg.

My You Tube Channel

Last edited Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:58 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:48 am
by crow (deleted)

You do need to take notice of the original tyre specification,
some commercial vehicle tyres of a suitable size for a caravan
require a very high tyre pressure which will make them unyielding
as part of the calculated suspension give, resulting in poor handling
and contents being thrown out of cuboards

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:58 am
by Aaron Calder | 3.797 Posts

And awning lights being shaken off?

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:12 pm
by Stamford (deleted)

[quote=
from memory
the 70 is the height from the rim to the tread

[/quote]

No, pop,....70,...is the percentage aspect ratio of the tyre.
It refers , as you say to the height, but varies as a percentage of the tyre width .

Don't need a Weatherman to know which way the Wind blows!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:29 pm
by hob (deleted)
Last edited Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:31 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:17 pm
by Deeps (deleted)

Quote: crow wrote in post #8

Agreed, but as I've already mentioned several times in various threads (no, this is not a dig - honest) over the pond here caravans have their own registration documents which is appended with the caravan manufacturers recommended tyre(s). In the case of our 2013 Triton there is only the one choice as previously given and NO deviance from this is permitted. It stands to reason, therefore, that one would be foolish not to abide by the manufacturers stated tyre pressure also.

My You Tube Channel
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:58 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.731 Posts

Quote: crow wrote in post #8

Agreed, Mon Brave.

Last edited Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:59 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:58 pm
by Skipper (deleted)

From what I have heard both trolls and tritons should be fitted with commercial van tyres of full profile thus 185 r14 c or 185 r15c depending on wheel size. The 70 in the 185 70 r14 refers to a 70% profile tyre which are not recommended for fitting to trailers caravans ect

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:09 am
by Skipper (deleted)

Commercial van tyres are designed to run within a range of pressures dependant on the weight of the van ect.it is important that you find the correct running pressure for the vans weight from your dealer/hymer and don't just assume its to be maximum stated on the tyre

Apparently some older vans are fitted with195 70 14r trailer tyres on up rated axels?

Last edited Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:26 am | Scroll up

Visitors
6 Members and 81 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12660 topics and 106594 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 6