Water heater

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:31 pm
by Magpie | 672 Posts

Anyone know if it's possible to change the electric water heater for one that will work on both gas and electric? (Or rather have it changed).

Scroll up

RE: Water heater

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:36 pm
by Captain Calamity | 349 Posts

They exist, because we have one on our 2017 Triton. It sits next to the onboard water tank under the port-side bed. Don’t know what your configuration is. Very useful when off-grid.

Magpie likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:54 pm
by Magpie | 672 Posts

We have a Troll 540. The electric water heater is sited under the long cushion below the window at the rear of the van. We managed very well off grid last summer but missed the hot water so a having the electric heater changed a dual system would be good.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:00 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.328 Posts

I would advise messaging JohnE. It is possible but not a diy job or cheap.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Magpie likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:18 pm
by Magpie | 672 Posts

Thank you. I'll ask him.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:23 am
by rs540 | 261 Posts

Our 540 has a Truma 10 litre gas/electric boiler mounted under the front seat next to the toilet. It is too big to fit in the space below the rear window so I guess some replumbing would have to be done. The Truma is expensive at the best part of £500 but I believe there are cheaper alternatives such as Propex. I would imagine that the cost of rerouting the pipes plus installing a gas line & drop-out vent, drain valves, etc will add considerably to the cost of a dual fuel boiler.

JefL and Magpie like this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:42 am
by eribaMotters | 5.328 Posts

Just a thought. Why not also ask for another estimate for an alternative solution. Remove the gas heater as well and in its place put the Truma combined gas/electric water space heater, as fitted in the new 535.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Magpie likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:56 am
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

Also consider where the control switches go. Ours is the combined Truma unit under the bench seat. For some reason (probably because it was easiest), the switches are on the panel beneath the seat, just where you can knock them with your legs/feet and turn it on or off unintentionally.

Triton 420 towed by a Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi
Magpie likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
5 Members and 24 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12541 topics and 105785 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 5