RE: V W Campervan as towcar

in We've got it down to a T Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:00 am
by Randa france | 12.885 Posts

Quote: Blueyonder wrote in post #29

Upshot is, visiting Portugal has been expensive, with the toll fees exceeding the cost of diesel by quite a way. If you like to use the toll motorways anywhere, if you tow a T5 you will pay a lot.

E.g. to go over the bridge at Lisbon 1.65 euros for car plus caravan, with a T5 it's 5.95 euros!
Lisbon to salamanca nearly 100 euros for just the Portugese tolls.
On the automatic tolls we were being charged around 2 euro for 8-10 miles.

We had the time to avoid them for a lot of the time but, I would be miffed if we had been on a 2 - 3 week holiday.

Wow, we missed this post Lesley and only picked up on it when we read Marmite's post this morning.
We found the motorway charges in Portugal were very inexpensive, the cheapest in Europe and the roads were a pleasure to use. How can they justify charging T5 owners so much? Our VW Touran is 4.4 metres long so I would imagine the T5 is no more than 1 metre longer.

R and A

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:56 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:10 am
by Blueyonder (deleted)

Yah, but it's the height of the vehicle at the front wheel that matters unfortunately. Shame because, like you say, for car caravanners it's cheap because the caravan (single axle) is free, however big it is. We only used a couple of short sections and the bridge at Lisbon but heard stories from others and then went on the website and looked at the tariffs!

As an aside, I was just wondering why so many people were on here posting in the dark at 6am in the morning....then I remembered I am in bed in Canada!

2010 VW T5 & 2014 Triton, both in silver.
Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:07 pm
by Randa france | 12.885 Posts

Aha. I understand it now. What a ridiculous way of gauging payment charges.
Randa

1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:56 pm | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:04 pm
by simonspain (deleted)

We own a T5 California 2014 model…..so a facelift van, and we just love it. It surprises me every time how much can fit in that van. 2 Brompton bikes, child seat for said bike, helmets, 5.5 metre Long Haul Folding Kayak with spray covers, life vests…everything….and we still have a full living and eating area downstairs and a bed upstairs! My wife is now pregnant again, so more stuff…extra carseat , bikes for kids etc. so we decided on an 'annex'…lol, and just purchased a very nice Puck L 230GT 2009 model. I liked the 120GT as it was very cute, but now we have the Puck L, it is still very cute, but with much more space. I didnt want a bigger caravan and end up not using the California, so the Puck L is a perfect match for us, as a full living space if he Cali gets even more full, or to use as storage as we live in the Cali. 6 beds, 2 kitchens, and lounge space now for up to ten people…4 in the Cali, 6 in the Puck L…haha….I think we'll be ok now! Also the Puck and Puck L here in Spain are classed as trailers not caravans as such….under 750 kilos MMA …yup, I know the Puck L is 790, but I am nit going to argue as it means, no special number plate….red here….no extra insurance needed and no MOT needed either. Cost us half the price of the same on the AL site, so can't be too bad. Perfect….if a little grubby condition too. But now clean as new!

Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:18 am
by Eribear (deleted)

Hi Simon and Lesley,

We met at Albarracin in 2014......hope you enjoyed your visit there We were the ones with the Toyota Hiace window van pulling a Triton 430 too!!! We were going to go to Portugal in Spring 2016 until until Roger and Amanda drew my attention to your experience. Our toll fees would be as your were. However, we shall be changing our tow car later next year so have decided to wait until then to go to Portugal....as we will be replacing with a 4 wheel drive estate car (all that sliding around on grass pitches, and we want to do more winter touring!) Found your post very helpful...whew!!!! Back to the drawing board for April 2016
Pauline and Michael

Last edited Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:25 am | Scroll up

in We've got it down to a T Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:30 pm
by Blueyonder (deleted)

Hi there Pauline and Michael

nice to see you here Hope you are well. Our encounter with you was rather brief, but we all had a very pleasant afternoon chat with a beer, didn't we? . Sorry but we don't get up very early on holiday, so didn't get to say goodbye! Although, am I going mad or didn't we meet this summer, 2015?! I know my life is flashing before my eyes, but surely not THAT quickly!!

I would go to Portugal with the T5 again but, as we are now retired (well I'm not old enough to retire, I am just economically inactive!) we can take time to avoid the tolls. We paid very little in tolls, as we had all the time in the world to avoid them and I often plan our routes in advance to go off the beaten track. We did the first stretch in the Algarve after coming across the Spanish border and the Lisbon bridge, which was relatively cheap considering how long we were in the country. However, I wouldn't go again if we had limited time, as it would truly cost us a fortune to 'tour' in say 3 weeks. Somebody we met in Salamanca told us the tale of woe re almost 100 Euros from Lisbon and he was in a motorhome, so we would have been the next class up and paid more!!!

Simon keeps delicately suggesting that we *could* change our T5. Through lack of use we gave our Audi A3 Sport to our elder son, so the T5 is now our daily vehicle. However, I can't bring myself to do it, so he is going to have to put up with her for a few years yet!

2010 VW T5 & 2014 Triton, both in silver.

Last edited Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:39 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 47 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12539 topics and 105776 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0