Info for three ring gas hob for 2007 Troll 540 GT - need to order new thermocouple.

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:59 pm
by Pete Marchant (deleted)

Hi, has anybody got a manual for, or the model name and make for, the three ring gas hob supplied with 2007 Troll 540GT? I’ve seen in one post the possibility that it is a Dometic Cramer(?) - may have misunderstood that! Alternatively, are there any markings or codes on the hob that might help (haven’t found any yet). I should add that this appears to be a ‘European’ import with continental electric sockets - not sure if that would make any difference.

I’ve checked the 2007 Eriba manual but it only refers to a generic cooker not a specific make. Sadly, although I already have separate manuals for most of the other accessories in the van, one of the inevitable missing items is for the cooker.

Apart from wanting to complete my collection (very happy with a .pdf rather than a hard copy) the cooker apparently needs to have a thermocouple replaced. At this point I don’t even know if the cooker has one, two or three of these, let alone what the part number might be.

Many thanks in advance!

Scroll up

RE: Info for three ring gas hob for 2007 Troll 540 GT - need to order new thermocouple.

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:21 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.323 Posts

Do you have a label inside the sink cupboard. If so this could contain the cooker details, along with those for the fridge.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

likes this post!
Scroll up

RE: Info for three ring gas hob for 2007 Troll 540 GT - need to order new thermocouple.

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:33 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.744 Posts

The one fitted to our caravan which is four years older than yours is a SMEV 8000-8500 series. Don't know if this will be of any use. There is no information re thermocouples in the SMEV manual but JohnE will know.

Eriba01.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:52 pm
by campnsnooze | 1.148 Posts

Hi, Not sure if this is what you are looking for, or maybe they can help you further:

https://www.jacksonsleisure.com/spares/d...50mm-407144377/

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:34 pm
by JohnE (deleted)

Hi Peter

Your 3 burner hob will be fitted with 3 thermocouples - 1 per burner (obvs!).

There is very little to go wrong with them as they're basically made up of 2 dissimilar metals fused together, and either a coaxial or spade type connector at the other end which connects to a solenoid in the valve.
A small voltage is produced when the business end gets hot which is just enough for the solenoid to hold the gas valve in

I've carried spare thermocouples on my van for the last 10 years or so and never fitted one of them - the fault is always due to a grotty connection at the gas valve end of the thermocouple.

Unscrew the hob from the worktop, and if you're lucky there will be enough room to access the incoming gas pipe to disconnect it.

Once the hob is out you can test each thermocouple by applying a flame to its tip while holding the corresponding valve in.
You won't be able confirm the valve is actually held in, but within about 30 seconds from releasing the valve and removing the flame you'll hear the solenoid click as it releases the valve when the thermocouple has cooled.

Clean up both ends of each thermoucouple, retest them and you should be good to go

After the hob is reconnected and installed, a gas tightness test must be carried out to confirm the connection is sound.

Aaron Calder, rs540, Ray Lawrence and like this post!
Last edited Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:01 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:17 pm
by Ray Lawrence | 668 Posts

I concur with JohnE.

I had a flaky thermocouple that would sometimes hold, sometimes not. In the end I lifted the hob to check whether I could use a cheaper pattern piece and I found that the connection at the gas valve end was loose! Tightened it up and it's been OK ever since . (3 seasons ago)

2007 Triton 430GT - Seat Ateca 1.4TSI petrol manual
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:56 pm

Thank you all!! Will report back. P

2007 Eriba Troll 540 GT / 2013 Nissan X-Trail
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:46 pm
by Frantone | 103 Posts

Might be a bit late but before you start to disassemble the hob it could be a good idea to just check the retaining nuts on the control knobs.
I had the same ignition problems on our Troll and as I was about begin getting to the thermocouples I removed the knob and found the retaining nuts loose.
I wondered if they were preventing a complete 12v circuit so stopping the gas valve working. I tightened them and found the problem rectified!!!
1C2E88D7-24C5-4FD1-91A5-1BEB777AE902.jpeg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Eriba Troll 540GT. 2019. Our sixth Eriba! Loved them all.

, Simboc2004, Ray Lawrence and Poptop320 like this post!
Last edited Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:46 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu May 12, 2022 5:08 pm

And…. as if by magic Frantone, the left hand control knob nut was slightly loose. I managed to tighten it with some flat nose pliers and the gas ring now works!!
Very pleased indeed!

Just as well I should add as I’d only been able to have the most cursory look at this SMEV hob. As people probably know already, it sits directly above the fridge in the 2007 Troll 540 so it would appear there’s no looking at the underside of the hob without removing the four corner screws in the hob itself and lifting it out of the worktop. I’m assuming that even if I were to do this the hob will be pretty well immobilised by the gas pipe. For future reference, does anyone have any notes, video, photos on the correct procedure to remove the hob so that I could get access to the thermocouple connections and check them out for dirt/corrosion etc.,

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri May 13, 2022 8:17 am
by Frantone | 103 Posts

Glad you sorted it.
It’s such a simple solution but I only found it accidentally and don’t remember ever seeing it mentioned in many years of Eriba ownership.

Eriba Troll 540GT. 2019. Our sixth Eriba! Loved them all.
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun May 15, 2022 9:27 am

Quite brilliant.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue May 31, 2022 10:48 am
by Steve E (deleted)

One of the thermocouples in our Triton comes loose periodically, I have never had the nerve to take the whole hob off , so I just wiggle my hand in from the water cupboard, and press it back in place!

Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 44 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12537 topics and 105757 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2