Gassed off

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed May 18, 2022 6:17 pm
by Hebridean (deleted)

I’ve just bought a Familia 320 and the previous owner claims to heave only used it hooked up at campsites. Anyway I fitted a new bottle of propane and the three ring stove isn’t working as is the fridge. I unscrewed the fridge igniter and found an ancient leaking corroded battery in there which I replaced. Still nothing and the battery igniter is making no sparking sound which makes me think that the internal connection is corroded. Is the fridge igniter audible?
I’m going to give the system a shake up tomorrow to find this blockage and would appreciate any advice.

Scroll up

RE: Gassed off

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed May 18, 2022 7:21 pm
by JohnE (deleted)

Have you checked that the red gas valves are in the open position?

And if your van is fitted with a Truma bulkhead regulator and has a yellow test valve, make sure it's open with the lever in line with the gas pipe.

Quote: Hebridean wrote in post #1
Is the fridge igniter audible?
You may be able to hear the igniter with the fridge door open but should definitely hear it sparking at the fridge burner on the right of the lower external vent.
If the battery was corrode there's a good chance the switch terminals are corroded too.

likes this post!
Last edited Wed May 18, 2022 7:22 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed May 18, 2022 7:57 pm
by Hebridean (deleted)

Thanks for your reply John.
Yes the switches are all turned correctly and the valve under the regulator is down parallel to the pipe. I’m thinking the blockage is in the silver regulator on the gas storage bulkhead.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed May 18, 2022 8:39 pm
by JohnE (deleted)

Yes, it sounds like the regulator is goosed although a proper testing with a manometer should prove it.

Either way the gas system and appliances should be tested for safety and performance.

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu May 19, 2022 7:08 pm
by Hebridean (deleted)

Yes John it was the regulator and a new one as well pigtail, gauge and olive should be with me on Saturday. I also had a listen for the fridge igniter and I could faintly hear it with the door open and my head in the fridge! Thank goodness as I wasn't looking forward to ripping it apart, though I'm going to have to address the hanging door and locking mechanism.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:45 am
by Hebridean (deleted)

An update. That’s the gas system up and running now after changing the regulator. The old olive proved to be tricky to remove without scoring the pipe so I ended up cutting the pipe just below the olive. I suppose I lost about half an inch of it but the connection was a lot cleaner with the new olive.

Simboc2004 likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 24 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12538 topics and 105761 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0