Jockey wheel strength

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun May 22, 2022 10:06 pm
by Hebridean (deleted)

Is there a known/ recognised issue with the jockey wheel set up?
On buying my Familia a month ago I noticed on hooking it up that it was a bit loose, so I tightened it up as best I could noting that getting a socket securely on the bolt was almost impossible because of the angled profile of the surrounding steel. Anyway I thought I’d tighten it up pretty well, but on moving it about five yards on gravel it’s loose again. Anyone come across this before or have any ideas on how to make it more robust?

Scroll up

RE: Jockey wheel strength

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun May 22, 2022 10:37 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.323 Posts

Have you taken the bolt out to see what state the thread is in. It could be worn and just need replacing.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun May 22, 2022 10:46 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

Is your van or second hand? The older models have a two bolt fixing where the new ones have four bolts. My 2012 Eriba had two, however the fixing plate would accommodate four, I bought a new clamp which allowed me to use four bolts and make it more secure.

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon May 23, 2022 12:22 am
by Hebridean (deleted)

Thanks for your replies, and I’ll take it apart checking the treads and there’s just the two bolts though there’s another two holes on the plate lower down. Is this where I can fit the second clamp?

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon May 23, 2022 8:00 am
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

Quote: Hebridean wrote in post #4
Thanks for your replies, and I’ll take it apart checking the treads and there’s just the two bolts though there’s another two holes on the plate lower down. Is this where I can fit the second clamp?

Yes, the four holes on the plate allows the stronger jockey clamp to be fitted, I fitted one to my previous 2012 Familia as two hole fixing clamp was starting to bend when using my motor mover.

alko-jockey-wheel-clamp.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Simboc2004 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue May 24, 2022 1:01 pm
by Hebridean (deleted)

Update, I ended up ordering a complete pneumatic jockey wheel which came with a clamp which I have my doubts about and ordered a robust looking cast one as well. I'm also going to get one of these ones you suggested Poptop as they're not to expensive and having four clamps can't be a bad thing!

Poptop320 likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 41 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12537 topics and 105755 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1