Increasing bed length

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:39 pm
by rambling robin (deleted)

I have a 2004 540 GT. The bed on the wardrobe side iss a couple of inches shorter than tother due to the slot for carrying the huge overweight table. Table lives in spare room. This means that her bed is a bit too short. The slot, not the whereabouts of the table. It looks like it should be possible to remove the wood that creates the recess but I'd like to make it a reversible process for when I sell the van. Has anyone done this please. If so any advice welcome.

Rather genteel 2004 Troll 540GT called Matilda pushing a couple of old fogies.
Scroll up

RE: Increasing bed length

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:30 pm
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.010 Posts

I'm not certain but I think it may be that the table was only stored that way on '04 540's, our '05 having changed to it being slung under the offside bench. If so there'll probably be very few '04's where it could be a potential issue and even fewer where someone would deem it necessary to do. The likelihood is that nobody on EF will ever have attempted it.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG and a 420. A Bailey Phoenix + 420, with oven, microwave, shower cubicle, solar panel, ATC and external gas point.
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:02 pm
by Simboc2004 | 658 Posts

Our 2005 Triton 430 has a similar slot for the table and I find it a stupid design, because the table sticks out if you put there and it's so easy to put it under the bed - I know the beds are tranverse on a 430, but it still makes one side a strange shape. Neither of our previous (earlier) 420 or 430s had the same design and I am very tempted to remove it. I can't see why, if done well, anyone would miss the slot when buying your van in the future... So my vote is for changing it.

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:49 pm

Quote: Simboc2004 wrote in post #3
Our 2005 Triton 430 has a similar slot for the table and I find it a stupid design, because the table sticks out if you put there and it's so easy to put it under the bed - I know the beds are tranverse on a 430, but it still makes one side a strange shape. Neither of our previous (earlier) 420 or 430s had the same design and I am very tempted to remove it. I can't see why, if done well, anyone would miss the slot when buying your van in the future... So my vote is for changing it.

I've never come across a 430 or 530 with their shorter lounges with table storage as you describe Simboc.

Presumably the fixed bed versions don't have a rear table and the rear lounge versions normally had the one legged table that clips on the rear of the van and gets stored under the double bed when made up. The reason for the 540 (and 420) having table storage was because the freestanding table versions that came with the central chest, couldn't fit the folded table under the double bed because the two pull out halves of the bed each had fold out legs that meant there wasn't space for a table.

And are you sure your van is a 2005 Model Year because Cernay abandoned the upright storage for 2005MY. Could yours be a 2004MY (Sept 2003 to Aug 2004) that was sold to its first owner in 2005?

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG and a 420. A Bailey Phoenix + 420, with oven, microwave, shower cubicle, solar panel, ATC and external gas point.
Simboc2004 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:35 pm

Quite possible. All I know is that I was told it was a 2005... :-))

Our table is a single-legged one that clips in at the window, but then iy had this storage slot with carpet at the bottom. If it's so unusual then I am sure no one would miss it if it disappeared... I'll try and find a photo, or I'll have to go to the storage compound and take one when I can.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:39 pm

You can just about make it out in this photo. It takes a good few inches off the length of that seat and it is, quite frankly, useless

I did wonder if it had been adapted to carry a tv whilst travelling. Something was clearly mounted on that cupboard wall at one time.

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 2005-eriba-triton-430-gt-for-sale-dom-fox-norfolk15.jpeg 

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:18 pm

I've never owned an '04 540 but I knew someone who had one. My recollection was that there was a corresponding gap between the roof locker and wardrobe, plus a means of securing the table to the wardrobe wall. Sadly I can't remember but possibly some form of strappage.

I suspect that if it's Eriba France built it will be a fairly complex job to get it apart, whereas if it's DIY then it should be simpler.

You could also check out either end of the bench cushion for signs of DIY shortening. If the interior of the cushion was standard foam then shortening would be relatively simple but if the optional sprung interior that would be another matter.

Simboc2004 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:09 am

Just took a screen grab from a low res video of a 2004 Troll 540GT for sale in the Netherlands and this has that feature just like our Triton 430, so 2004 MY is looking more likely for ours.

Attached pictures:
 Screenshot 2022-09-17 at 09.04.22.png 

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:37 am
by Julie Grafo | 3.461 Posts

We have the little shelf for the table storage in our 2008 Troll 530 but it doesn’t have the guard piece. Neil uses the shelf as a place to put his phone at night.

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:39 am
by rambling robin (deleted)

This is a quick shot while unpacking the van t'other day. A simple solution would be to just buzz the divider off at the point where it joins the mini shelf and trim the exposed end with vinyl. That way I can just pop in some extra foam for the bed and job done.

To some extent I am concerned that will detract from the value of the van as it does represent a bit of butchery and that was why I wanted to find a reversible way of doing it. Leaving the beds made all the time we don't use the big table - who does????

Does the table in the 530 just slot between the end of the cushion and the wardrobe???

Attached pictures:
 table recess.jpg 

Rather genteel 2004 Troll 540GT called Matilda pushing a couple of old fogies.
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:45 am

Simboc, JG's mention of a shelf got me thinking. Presumably there's a shelf somewhere on the wardrobe wall that the end of the table fits under, which helps locate it. In which case the bedhead can't be for a TV. That also made me realise that the table will be about 18ins shorter than 420/540 tables and therefore not reach roof locker height and that means there's no need for a gap between the roof locker and the wardrobe.

Last edited Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:14 am

Our table just stands on the little shelf and two straps press stud onto the wardrobe wall. Having said that it doesn’t as the bed is permanently made up and the table supports the bed.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:47 pm

Quote: Julie Grafo wrote in post #12
Our table just stands on the little shelf and two straps press stud onto the wardrobe wall. Having said that it doesn’t as the bed is permanently made up and the table supports the bed.

Mmmm.

So is the 'shelf' at seat cushion level without the bedhead bit?

I s'pose that if the table isn't supporting the bed, it's usually being used as a table, so the only time the storage would be used is if you demount the table for travelling.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:24 pm

I'm sure there's a better use for the space than table storage. I will engage my designer brain (and DT teacher skills...) and have a look at it once the touring season's over and see if it's possible to remove the upstand part and fill in the gap in a way that looks as if Eriba had planned it that way. We have got round it by sleeping with our heads on the other side of the caravan (being a 430 it's a transverse bed), which also has the bonus of meaning the green fridge light is no longer a pain at night!

Simon

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:13 pm

Andy, the shelf, only a couple of inches wide, is below seat cushion height.
Occasionally we sleep with our heads at the kitchen side avoiding the dreaded green light but normally only when we can’t get the van completely level and we’d be sleeping downhill. I normally chuck a tea towel over the light.

Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 21 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12537 topics and 105760 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2