what wash & polish

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:01 pm
by Greycamper (deleted)

Just had my Eriba delivered this afternoon.
Great young guy collected and delivered it.
Anyone needs the same service, I will give you his name.
Don't know if I'm allowed to put it on the board

Anyway like new inside, no dints or scratches outside.
But it needs a good clean, the white beading is bad round the middle, few greeny spots.

What wash & Polish do I need, not been on top of the roof yet.
Was heaving down when I got to storage quick in and out.

But realy pleased with it, fell in love ��
Only got one photo at the moment

SOULBLUESMAN68 likes this post!
Scroll up

RE: what wash & polish

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:10 am
by eribaMotters | 5.308 Posts

Hi Pat, good to see the van has safely arrived.
Now it's had basic wash down you sound like you have assessed it.
- The green algae stuff I'd treat in the say way I do that which forms on the window rubbers of my car. One part bleach to 4 parts water, applied with a small nailbrush or toothbrush. Leave 24hrs and rinse off. Repeat if needed.
- Roof, both pop-top and the bit above awning rail and the pop-top. You can buy expensive GRP polish/reviver, but I've never bothered. It sounds as if your van was similar to our last van that had been outside stored for 5 years. I used T-Cut and then Autoglym car polish. MER is also excellent and favoured by some owners. This brought the roof back nicely. I usually polish the roof twice a year. Once at the start of the season when the cover comes off and the other towards the end, so its still fairly slippy when the winter cover goes on.
- For the outside paintwork you do need to be careful as the paint is very thin. I car shampoo followed by the wax polish will do 99% of your needs. Any tar spots or streaks I do with a spot of Meths or white spirit.
- if you use the search facility you will find lots of advice on cleaning up the white trim. Do not rub to hard or the body paintwork as you can go through the paintwork.
- If you see mastic oozing out of the awning rail then do not pull it out. It will continue to ooze for many years. Best thing is a dampened white spirit rag wiped over it, cut through the ooze with an old credit card and roll it up [like a ball of snot] before wiping the area clean with a clean white spirit dampened rag. Re-polish the surrounding area just to get a shine back onto the bodywork.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

scouteralf, Doonhamer, addisb and Simboc2004 like this post!
Last edited Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:07 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:26 am
by Davewhitfield (deleted)

Is it safe to climb onto the roof. I have a foldable ladder which I can gain access to the roof while washing. Which isn’t a problem but I want to set up my machine polisher and use it to add a wax polish to it. Once it’s done I’ll pop the roof and do round the edges to the awning rail. Could I climb onto the roof and not damage it? I weigh 90kg.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:43 am

I weigh 82kg and I crawl across the pop top roof, but would not do this on the normal roof area at the back of the van. I have a couple of times stood on the roof, but it is not something I would advocate.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:55 am
by Randa france | 12.870 Posts

We use a combination steps/extending ladder and lean it against the sides of the Eriba taking care not to damage the windows with the various protrusions. To stop damaging the awning rail which the ladder leans on, we've taped 2 lengths of foam pipe cladding, each about 300mm long, one to each of the ladder stiles at the point where they contact the awning rail.

This gives us plenty of height to reach more than halfway across the Eriba roof.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Simboc2004 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:28 am
by PhilipG (deleted)

What polish ? - I've read not to use silicon polish more than once. What is the problem with silicon polish?

Also, is there any way I can touch up patches where the white paint has been rubbed through to the aluminium. eg. can I use radiator enamel or the like ?
Or is there such a product as 'Eriba white paint' ?
Cheers, PhilipG

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:22 am

Philip, nothing personal, first question are you smooth or dimpled. If smooth then Fiat Bianco White is I believe the colour. For dimples I had Lowdhams of Nottingham supply me with a genuine touch up brush paint. I have used this on a couple of stone dings and in two places where I was a bit vigorous cleaning around the waist rail and thinned the paint.
As regards silicon, it really should never go anywhere near a paint finish. If you tried to paint over it the paint will not stick.

Colin

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:17 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: eribaMotters wrote in post #7
As regards silicon, it really should never go anywhere near a paint finish. If you tried to paint over it the paint will not stick.

Snag is that most car waxes (and polishes too) contain silicone, even if it's just to aid application.

And that includes what's probably the best all-rounder available, good old Autoglym Super Resin Polish.

If you make a rule of never using anything containing silicone near vehicle paintwork because of possible problems with the later application of paint, you'll make life very difficult for yourself and likely end up with a very dry mouth because a spitty hanky is the only option you've got left.

It might be better to work on the assumption that if you do need to paint you will have to get the affected surfaces scrupulously clean and free of all contaminants as a matter of routine.

It's what a bodyshop would do, and then some.

That way you won't restrict your choice of things to use.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:48 pm

Oh, In my ignorance I thought I was OK using my AutoGlym.

Cheers - Colin

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:02 pm
by PhilipG (deleted)

Thanks for the info, Colin & co.
My 1998 Eriba 430 is dimpled.
I'll phone lowdhams, can't see paint in their 'Accessories .

Pity, I have 1.5 litres of Autoglym Super Resin Polish - have to be for the car I guess.
Does anyone know if Poorboys 'Polish with Carnauba wax' contains silicone ?

Can local patches where touch-up is required be cleaned (say with meths or white spirit) to remove silicone polish traces ?

Finally at 83 it's time for me to get movers fitted to my Eriba - Reich I guess.
Are there any recommended service centres in North or West Yorkshire for fitting these ?

Thanks, PhilipG

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:30 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: PhilipG wrote in post #10
Does anyone know if Poorboys 'Polish with Carnauba wax' contains silicone ?

Can local patches where touch-up is required be cleaned (say with meths or white spirit) to remove silicone polish traces ?
Make yourself a big mug of tea, open a packet of ginger nuts and get stuck into Google.

There's a ton of stuff on the 'net dealing with the removal of waxes and coatings that contain silicone.

The Poorboys website, for instance, says (quite strenuously, in fact) that there is no silicone in their carnauba wax.

And IPA (Isopropyl alcohol) seems to be the best bet to get rid of traces of silicone-based coatings. Not neat - try it diluted with water at first.

Get a big bottle. There are endless ways to use up what's left over. Mojitos, Screwdrivers, Mai Tais, Gimlets, Bellinis, Daiquiris...

But don't take my word for it. There are hundreds - if not thousands - of others out there who know next to diddly about it as well

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:30 pm
by PhilipG (deleted)

Thanks for your down to earth viewpoint, PePe (can't find my cute accent just now, sorry)

Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 23 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12523 topics and 105654 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1