First time Eriba owners - tips welcome!

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:45 pm
by TheFreshfields (deleted)

Hi everyone,

We're first-time Eriba owners having sold our Coachman 520 VIP earlier this year and replacing it with a Touring 542 60th Edition (collecting this week).

Our plans are to travel a lot and spend some time around Europe as well as the UK, towing with our Range Rover Evoque with our under 6 month old baby in tow too.

What do we need to know transitioning from a big white caravan to an Eriba? Any hints, tips and tricks more than welcome!

Thanks

Scroll up

RE: First time Eriba owners - tips welcome!

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:17 am
by Randa france | 12.890 Posts

Hi both and welcome to Eribafolk The Coachman has an excellent reputation and obviously it'll take a while to get used to the come down in size to the Eriba. The first thing you'll notice is the towabilty of the Eriba so be careful you keep your eye on the speed when you first tow. You'll not know it's on the back.
It's an excellent touring vehicle however and many of us enjoy the nibleness of it when touring, especially in sunnier clims where we are able to spend more time outside.

I guess you'll need to rely on using as much space as possible in the Range Rover to carry bits and pieces especially to cater for baby. Many folk also use a roof box but we've found it unnecessary and we do have a great deal more to carry than most because we take our cat abroad with us.

Loading the Eriba is quite important not only to make use of the more limited space but also to avoid tail waggle.

There'll be more people who will add their own advice and opinions to this thread so I'll wait for them to comment.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:20 am
by eribaMotters | 5.328 Posts

Firstly, congratulations on a new baby and I hope you enjoy your travels. I think you know the obvious two points, think small and forget the idea of a shower.
The next one is Mayday [for UK] Red Pennant [for Europe] through the C&MC. I know your Evoque may still well have manufactures breakdown/recovery, but I really would advise taking it out.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:19 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.123 Posts

Welcome to Eriba ownership I'm sure the three of you will have some great adventures.

We moved from an enormous Outwell Tent with a front extension to our Troll in 2016 (strangely only for the two of us - neighbours thought we had a posse of children playing somewhere!!!!!).

Our first lesson was to start thinking essentials rather than nice ephemerals and desirable paraphernalia. that filled our tent and large estate car..........................this can be a slow process of trial and error as you sort out the essentials. We are nearly there after 6 years!

The Troll is bigger than it first appears and there are lots of cubby holes to store light things. Although you need to heed Randa's advice about balance of the weight - but you are probably aware of this with your Coachman.

His other advice about speed is good as the Eriba is so easy to tow that with your Evoque you will barely notice it is there at all. There have been many occasions that Kath reminds me in her best parental voice that our 540 is behind us.......!

There is some debate about travelling with your fresh water tank full when towing. We keep ours virtually empty on the move after a serious sway on joining the motorway after a service left it full but I know some others who travel with it full.........

For many of us the addition of an small awning or Isabella sunshade is essential and gives that extra living space. We do most of our cooking and eating in ours. There are lots of threads on here discussing these and we all have our favourates

Enjoy your travels

Good luck with your new adventure

MikeT

Last edited Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:20 pm | Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:07 pm
by TheFreshfields (deleted)

Hi Everyone,

Thanks a lot for all your tips - very useful. We're currently packing the caravan for our first trip away next weekend and enjoying trying to hone down our packing list to the essentials.

Thanks!

Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:21 am
by Tomored | 2.128 Posts

Tom and Margaret

The only way to have a friend, Is to be one
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:44 am
by granddadgrape | 1.562 Posts

Liz & Alan
Landrover Defender 90 & 2014 Triton 420
Scroll up

Visitors
6 Members and 27 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12541 topics and 105788 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 6