New owner, 81 Pan

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:56 am
by RaduBunea | 29 Posts

Hello! I am (actually the wife is) the new owner of a 81 Pan. We plan family trips (2 adults, 2 kids) , the main "tractor" is a 74 Bug. I already started to repair/correct some minor issues, like sink pump contact, lighting, waaaay too many additional cables etc.

Randa france, Simboc2004 and cruickie like this post!
Last edited Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:03 am | Scroll up

RE: New owner, 81 Pan

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:06 am
by RaduBunea | 29 Posts

Some pictures

Morphy, Randa france, Simboc2004, cruickie and like this post!
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:10 am
by Morphy | 966 Posts

RaduBunea as the name suggests a friendly bunch on here. Don't know what your commitments are but check out the summer Scotland meet just a get together planned. Morphy

New Troll 540GT on the way Silver Skoda Octavia Scout residing in sunny Lancashire.
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:39 pm
by RaduBunea | 29 Posts

Well, I forgot to mention one important information: I live in Romania. A vacation with the Bug and the Pan to Scotland would be great, but it is quite a distance... We'll see, Thank you for the warm welcome!

Randa france and cruickie like this post!
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:19 pm
by Randa france | 12.890 Posts

A couple of members including us, were in Romania the year before the lockdowns ie 2019. Which part are you from?
Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:28 pm
by RaduBunea | 29 Posts

I'm from the western part, near Timisoara.

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:58 pm

Oh we passed very close by Timisoara. We were touring north west from Bulgaria and stopped at Rucar for a number of days before stopping again at Salisti.

We were going to stop near Timisoara but were stopped by the Police manning a speed camera. I was speeding but not by much. I got confused by the road signs which when entering a village, tell you to travel at no more than 50kph and also no overtaking. All that on the one sign. After leaving one village I mistook the sign to say that the no overtaking rule was cancelled, again on a 50kph sign and assumed that the speed limit was back to 70 kph.

The Police caught me doing about 60kph with Eriba on the back and pulled me over. Very polite however and they eventually gave me a pink slip of paper which I would have to produce when leaving Romania so that I could pay the fine.

I was so angry with myself and with other road users who seemed to be ignoring the signage that we decided to leave Romania on that day and head for Kecskemet in Hungry.

When we arrived at the border and offered our pink slip on two occasions to different passport windows, they just laughed and waved us on.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Simboc2004 likes this post!
Last edited Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:59 pm | Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:59 am
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

Betty, 1998 Triton 430 and Colin, a Renault Mégane.
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:13 am
by Julie Grafo | 3.465 Posts

to the Forum. Your Pan looks lovely.

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:53 am
by Tomored | 2.128 Posts

Tom and Margaret

The only way to have a friend, Is to be one
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:09 am
by granddadgrape | 1.562 Posts

Liz & Alan
Landrover Defender 90 & 2014 Triton 420
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:25 pm
by RaduBunea | 29 Posts

Randa, I hope you had an overall nice stay in Romania. There are lots of beautiful places to visit, but the infrastructure is not so good... Also not so many high quality camping sites, but much more freedom for off-grid camping.

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:06 pm
by RaduBunea | 29 Posts

Time for an update, as for us it is end of the travel season: we made several trips with the Pan, some thousands of kilometers in Romania and outside, towing both with the Dacia Duster and the '74 VW 1303 (SuperBeetle). We made improvements to it, added an external tent for more space, we had a great time. Now it is time for a full restoration, as I found the outer chassis is rotten. I would also change the floor, as it is affected by water up front.
I found how to create a new folder in the gallery, I am now uploading pictures and will post more details.

Simboc2004 and cruickie like this post!
Last edited Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:09 pm | Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:26 pm
by RaduBunea | 29 Posts

Let's start with the trips.
First outing was at a classic car show ~300km away from home. First long drive with the Bug after restoration. Now to be clear: We bought the Pan especially to tow it with the Bug, it is well within specifications. I have a tuned 1.6l on the car now, ~60HP, but I am also preparing a 2.1l ~130hp. We started up good, 90km/h on highway, but 40km away the engine overheated, started to detonate, and we had to pull over. Well, it was the maiden voyage, I did not know how it would behave, it was also a test. We called for a tow truck to bring the Duster and take the Bug. While waiting, the engine cooled down, it started right up, so when the tow truck arrived, we just hooked the Eriba to the Duster and continued with both cars.
Sibiu1.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)
Sibiu1a.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)
Sibiu2.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)
Sibiu3.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)
Sibiu4.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

After one week, another VW classic meeting, this time near home.
Dumi1.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Then we went to Hungary, another VW classic show. Before this trip, I added an additional oil cooler to the car and found out what the issue was that engine overheated before: ignition was way too high (programmable ignition, throttle position sensor not working...). This time, the Bug towed, 100km/h in 35deg C sun, max oil temp 95 deg C. Yaaay!
Hungary1.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)
Hungary2.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)
hungary3.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Then we had the long vacation, we missed to go also to the seaside with the Pan (doh, we are not used to having a caravan), but we took her to the mountains:
Vacation1.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)
Vacation2.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

And last outing, the autumn edition of the VW classic near home.
Dumi2.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)
dumi3.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

SOULBLUESMAN68, cruickie and Simboc2004 like this post!
Last edited Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:07 pm | Scroll up

in Hi. Please take a couple of minutes to say hello here Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:40 pm

Hi RaduBunea
Some interesting reading and some great photos here. Keep them coming.

Unfortunately I'm going to have to remove the new gallery you created in our Picture Gallery section because members are not allowed to create new galleries and it is only allowed for one or two photographs to be used by members in a gallery that has already been created by Administration.

We have to do this as we need to keep control over the number of photos added. As you can imagine, this forum wouldn't be powerful enough to carry gallery photos from all our members if each decided to post 10 or 15 photos.

The photos you've posted are mainly duplicated on this thread anyway so folk can look at them and comment as necessary on here.

Randa

Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 15 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12541 topics and 105788 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1