South Wales

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:10 am
by Ray Lawrence | 667 Posts

I believe there may be some Wales experts on the forum

Looking for a week somewhere in South Wales, mid June, what to see and where to stay? I usually stick with C&CC sites but am happy to try others with a recommendation.

Thanks

2007 Triton 430GT - Seat Ateca 1.4TSI petrol manual
Scroll up

RE: South Wales

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:59 am
by Randa france | 12.874 Posts

Hi Ray. Firstly I've had to move your post and create this new thread as the section you placed it is for recommended campsites and not intended as a platform to discuss and advise on any number of options.

Regarding camping in South Wales there are obviously a number of good quality campsites that are the favourites with many Eriba owners. Do you prefer coastal campsites or inland campsites or perhaps you're looking at a tour in which we can give you a few recommendations from Abergavenny through Brecon to the Gower and on to West Wales. Where will you be setting out from?

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:30 pm

Randa, thanks for moving my post and your reply. I was sort of hoping you would pick up

I'm coming up from the south coast near Brighton and am looking at a week in Devizes and a week in "S.Wales", never been there before. I would expect to stay for 7 days in Wales, quite happy to travel by car from the campsite to interesting locations within about an hours drive or so.

We like interesting places, historic, industrial. Would like to take the opportunity to learn about that part of the world.

We have heard that we should visit the Gower Peninsula and Cardigan Bay. One day at least to Cardiff I guess.

If there was enough of interest I could change from 1 week to two weeks at two different campsites/locations

Tall order I know but we don't mind traveling. Last year we drove the entire length of England to get to Berwick upon Tweed just to get to Holy Island and the castles around that area.

Last edited Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:30 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:43 pm
by AlanC | 93 Posts

We stayed at the Bargoed Farm campsite in Ceredigion back in 2020.
A small family-run site, a short walk from the coast, with a farm shop and good restaurant.

Has a modern wash block, hard-standing pitches with hook-up as well as some grass ones, some pitches even have a private sauna with a view.

We had had a senior moment and managed to mess up the dates booked, but they still accommodated us with a smile when we turned up early.

Recommended.

Alan

https://www.bargoedfarm.co.uk/

Liz and Alan
Troll 530 Touring 2015 now pushing a Honda CR-V
Ray Lawrence likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:12 pm
by Morphy | 966 Posts

Hiya Ray, We stopped at caravan and camping club Rahdar I think it was called, really enjoyed it there. Some nice walks and a small town with a few shops pubs and a chippy. We where out walking not so far from the site I counted 17 Red Kites flying around in one area. I believe there is a Red Kite feeding station near by? Morphy (Steve)

Edited I think the site is called WYESIDE - CAMPING AND CARAVANNING CLUB SITE and it is mid Wales maybe higher up than you wanted to go but as said nice place.

New Troll 540GT on the way Silver Skoda Octavia Scout residing in sunny Lancashire.

Last edited Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:28 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:28 pm

Hi Ray. Regarding your visit to south and southwest Wales in June I've come up with the following based on the fact that you've only got a week or so and are prepared to travel. To give you an idea of distances the journey from Newport ot St Davids is 120 miles and over 2.5 hours.

Also because you like to use Camping and Caravan Club Sites I've picked two CLs which would probably be central to your planned trips and still quite close to the motorway. I've purposely not put you on a Gower Campsite as they are well off the motorway so it'd take you time to access the fast roads. You can see a great deal of the Gower in a day as all the beaches are accessable by car if you're only looking for a flying visit. However this Gower Campsite is probably the best there is if you wanted to stop there:- https://www.nicholastonfarm.co.uk/

Kidwelly.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) Pembrey Littlewood Campsite looks OK? (C and CC small site)

Kidwelly (Near Pembrey). A sizeable Norman Castle
St Davids. The Smallest City in the UK
Tenby. A busy town and port that will equal anything that Cornwall has got.
Laugharne. Where Dylan Thomas' boat house is and where Under Milk Wood was based.
Rhossilli Probably one of the best sea scapes in the UK.
Mumbles/Oystermouth. An old fishing village with a 7 mile walk/cycle track around the Swansea Bay to Swansea City.

Cardiff.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) Caerleon Whithall Farm?

Caerleon Roman Ruins
Cardill Bay
Castell Coch 19th-century Gothic Revival Fairy tale Castle in the woods.
Big Pit Mining Museum with a tour underground.
Ystradfellti Water Fall Walk.

Something to be going on with. Please let us know if you want more.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:32 pm

Thank you so much Randa, that is so much effort you have put in for me (and other potential tourists)

Since my first post I've been looking at various Tourist information sites and you've included the big draws as well as some not mentioned.

Strikes me that my second thought to have 2 weeks in the region is probably best.

Do I need to look a bit further north, those two campsites are relatively close to each other so I wouldn't spent a week in each.

Maybe stay at one of those for a bit longer and move up for a few extra days if there is more to see in Mid Wales?

Thank you again

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:45 am

I've had a look at both campsites and at first glance they look good.

I'm now thinking of staying a week at each.

Thanks again Randa for all the work you put in to advise me.

Ray

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:19 pm

Quote: Ray Lawrence wrote in post #7

Do I need to look a bit further north, those two campsites are relatively close to each other so I wouldn't spent a week in each.

Maybe stay at one of those for a bit longer and move up for a few extra days if there is more to see in Mid Wales?

Thank you again

Hi Ray. Yes, there's lots to see in mid Wales, particulalry Cardigan Bay. Dolphins at New Quay, Ospreys near Machynlleth ( the Ancient Capital of Wales) and the Red Kite centre near Rhayader that Morphy mentioned. There's also the Welsh borders which include towns like Hay on Wye and Monmouth, not forgetting Brecon and the Brecon Beacons National Park, The problem is that although Wales is a small country it's quite difficult to get around quickly and there is so much to see in the North, in the Central and in the South, that it would be impossible to take in all in in one visit.

Always ready to help though once you've had time to think more about it. By the way, as I'm not a C and CC user I don't know about the campsites I've pointed out to you but they do look interesting as do many others.

Randa

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:33 am

Thanks again Randa,

all booked up now. Couldn't get in to the Pembrey Littlewood campsite as it's fully booked already

Manage to get in (just) at a site called Woodland Rise, just north of Carmarthen, just means a little bit of extra driving to see the sights.

Mid Wales is for another trip I think.

Looking forward to my visit to the south.

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:16 am

Carmarthen eh? A lovely town steeped in "Merlin" history. Check out his old tree in the centre of town. Also Llandilo and Carreg Cennen Castle on top of a tall hillside. You'll need a torch to explore the deep natural cave dungeons beneath the castle. The little village of Bethlehem is nearby.

A shame we won't be able to pop along and meet you as we'll probably be out of the country then.

Hope you have a great time. As you know our Facebook Group Page especially, is alive with people who have really enjoyed thier visits to Wales and promise to come back for more.

It's my opinion that the equivalent of the Welsh Tourist Board don't do half enough to promote the country, they are only interested in Cardiff.

Randa

Last edited Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:17 am | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:24 pm

ps. Forgot to say that if you are visiting Laugharne (Dyland Thomas' Boat House) take a short drive west to Pendine, a 7 mile hard sand beach where the World Speed records used to be take place. You can still drive on the beach at certain times of the day. From there you can pick up the road west to Tenby and Saundersfoot.
West of Tenby you have Manobier where Giraldus Cambrensis was born and a little further west you can visit the small chapel of St Govan as long as the MOD tank road is open.

Randa

Last edited Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:36 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:40 pm

Who needs the Welsh Tourist Board when we've got Randa.

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:48 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.116 Posts

Hi Ray

Sorry have just picked this up. We spent three and a half weeks touring South Wales in June last year (the beauty of being retired).

We had a fabulous time exploring many of the places Randa suggested. We like walking on beaches and we loved the Gower Penninsula where we stayed for a week (and even managed to catch a great Luther VanDross tribute act in Swansea)

We then moved up to beautiful Pembrokeshire & stayed near St Davids. Pembroke town itself needs a bit of love but whole area is smashing.

Final bit was spent at the C & CC site in Cardigan Bay near New Quay. There were some lovely little seaside villages with great walks on the coastal path & on beaches & we ate some great food. If you see battered cockles on the menu somewhere give them a try, they are a taste revelation

Think you will have a brilliant time but pack your kagoules and storm pegs as wet windy weather hit us a fair few times. We have never met friendlier people than the locals we met - they made us feel so welcome everywhere we went.

MikeT

Ray Lawrence and Randa france like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:41 am

Thanks MikeT,
we are all booked up now for two weeks.

Looking forward to getting to all the recommended sites that we can. Going to be busy

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 21 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12523 topics and 105662 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0