Calor Cube, 3.9kg Propane, 4.5kg Butane, 6Lite Propane and 12kg Butane cylinders discontinued

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:13 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.072 Posts

Thanks to Kevin Matthews on the /facebook group

Calor Cube, 3.9kg Propane, 4.5kg Butane, 6Lite Propane and 12kg Butane cylinders. are being discontinued

https://www.calor.co.uk/cylinder-range-f...DXw9NLHB57rPNi8

Apparently from 1'st February according to C&MC

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/club-toget...%20a%20priority.

Note a new connector is required for some alternatives eg 4.5kg Butane to 7kg Butane , if you can fit them in your locker of course.

Does anybody know if a Puck 120GT can fit a 7kg bottle ?

Steve

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi

Simboc2004 likes this post!
Last edited Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:32 am | Scroll up

RE: Calor Cube, 3.9kg Propane, 4.5kg Butane, 6Lite Propane and 12kg Butane cylinders discontinued

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:25 am
by eribaMotters | 5.298 Posts

Thanks for the heads up Steve.

When you read through in full this is not good news. The 6kg Calorlite Propane has been a favourite of many owners. For several years this has been hard to get and now you can see it is definitely for the chop if you scan down to point 3. They are suggesting a standard 3.9kg or 6kg Propane. Point 11 states "Our cylinder range is under constant review. We have no plans at present for a new light weight cylinder. "
3.9kg Propane - 340 height x 240 diameter - 4.1 to 8.6 kg empty - 9 to 10.5kg full
6.0kg Propane - 495 height x 256 diameter - 7.3 to 10.9 kg empty - 15-17kg full
As an example my 6kg CalorLite weighs 4.15kg empty and 10.52kg full
The logical change will be to a FloGas 6kg, https://www.flogas.co.uk/product/6kg-pro...r#specification

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Simboc2004 likes this post!
Last edited Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:25 am | Scroll up

RE: Calor Cube, 3.9kg Propane, 4.5kg Butane, 6Lite Propane and 12kg Butane cylinders discontinued

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:12 pm
by Erik (deleted)

erik gas.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

6kg Fit

Last edited Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:13 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:54 pm

Looks like a Calorlite 6kg on the right, but what 6kg bottle is it to the left that fits?

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:24 pm
by Erik (deleted)

erik gas30.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)They are both 6kg lite and it is the same two that fit into my Triton. You can see the grey collar on both, they fitted perfectly even room on top for the hook up cable.

Last edited Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:35 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:53 pm
by Erik (deleted)

erik gas3.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:18 pm

But the Calor Lite 6kg is discontinued as well and I believe the lite bottles are smaller than the standard 6k propane bottles.

Lite bottle 48.7 cm high, 24.3 cm diameter.
standard 49.5 cm high, 25.6 cm diameter

Steve

Last edited Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:21 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:41 pm

Well said. That is what I was ever so politely [change for me] trying to get at.

Colin

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:37 pm

Things are getting interesting now on the price of LPG exchanges.

Calor have stopped including the retail price on their website.

Flogas are adding a "volatility surcharge" above their retail price.

Some other online sellers are asking wildly inflated prices.

On top of that my favourite campsite has increased electricity from £4 to £10 so swapping to electric for a fridge, led bulb and cooked breakfast may not be an option.

Looks like it's cheaper to go to a cafe and get a tent.

Steve

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:31 pm

Gas Bottle Retaining Strap.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Now then, I'm preparing to replace my 4.5 kg butane bottles (one shown shown left) with the taller 7.0 kg Butane bottles.

I will have to raise the retaining strap. It looks like the bulkhead is pre-drilled to screw the strap in the correct higher position but the holes look like they have rivets in them. Could they be securing something on the blind side and, if not, will have to drill them out ?

Long shot that someone has experience of moving retaining straps but thanks for any advice.

Steve

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:47 pm
by Tincanners (deleted)

Hi Steve,

Unsure with Eriba set up, however normally these retaining strap brackets have two location
fixing points for different markets. As in the photo the rivets above your bracket may support
a bulkhead fixed point with re enforcement plate behind?

I would also take advice from a qualified gas engineer on moving the gas regulator higher to
accommodate the taller gas bottles.

Roy.

VW Kombi Campervan seeking Eriba. See Profile/Wanted Post
Steve and Debbie likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:21 pm

I have moved the location straps on two previous Eriba's. The vans had the black GRP lining that your Puck has. The straps were held in place with a type of pop rivet. I used standard 3/16" pop rivets to fix the straps. You should find a small void behind the GRP lining.I would leave the current strap in place and sort another to mount higher up as they really should have two straps per bottle.

Colin

and Steve and Debbie like this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:44 pm

Cheers Roy and Colin.

Both your points gratefully received and understood.

Even though I'm sure my mysterious holes are for a strap bracket, the fact that are filled with a rivet needs investigation. The void behind the bulkhead is built in behind the wardrobe and corner kitchen, That means the rivet was put in during manufacture which is a strange thing to do to just finish off a raw hole. I think I may be able to do some potholing under the corner sink with a torch and mirror to view the void but it's going to be painful. They will definitely need drilling out if they are free to use!

Steve

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Apr 23, 2023 9:53 pm
by Tincanners (deleted)

HI Steve,

I think you'll be fine drilling out the rivet heads to investigate further.

Just to elaborate on the gas regulator position. Regulations I recall
recommended regulator to be fitted level with the top of the gas
cylinder, from memory this was to prevent gumming up of regulator
and condensation issues in gas line. Regulations may have changed
along with improved gas regulator as my information is from a gas
course I put myself on some years ago in learning something new.

Please check what current qualified gas engineers recommend for
your taller gas cylinder. If the regulations are still the same, go with
it, as a gummed up gas line is no fun.

Roy.

VW Kombi Campervan seeking Eriba. See Profile/Wanted Post
Steve and Debbie and Simboc2004 like this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:07 am
by Simboc2004 | 648 Posts

If you drill out one pop rivet and replace it with one through the re-sited strap, then drill out the second and replace with a new one through the strap, that should ensure the bulkhead continues to be attached to whatever it is attached to during the process, surely? Just avoid drilling out both at the same time - you don't want that slide-and-thunk sound from the other side of the bulkhead if you drill out both at the same time!

Same with the holes when you remove the lower strap mounting - replace one at a time.

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...
, Steve and Debbie and mr_underhill like this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 33 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12515 topics and 105592 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0