RE: Calor Cube, 3.9kg Propane, 4.5kg Butane, 6Lite Propane and 12kg Butane cylinders discontinued

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:26 pm
by Simboc2004 | 648 Posts

Here's the installation on my 2005 Triton. 7kg butane in situ (as came with the van when we bought it last year). It passed the service with this layout last year.

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 IMG_6935.JPG 
 IMG_6936.JPG 
 IMG_6937.JPG 

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...
likes this post!
Scroll up

RE: Calor Cube, 3.9kg Propane, 4.5kg Butane, 6Lite Propane and 12kg Butane cylinders discontinued

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:34 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.300 Posts

Steve, if you zoom in on your photo you can se a rectangular mark around the top two rivets. Your van originally had a top strap that has been removed and that is when the two rivets present will have gone in. they would have been the easiest whey to fill the holes left.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
and Simboc2004 like this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:28 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.072 Posts

Well that looks like a mystery solved then, Just got in from potholing and wasted my time it seems.

Brilliant spot Colin and confirmed by Simboc2004 photos (thank you for taking the time to remove your bottle for me).

The photos show the same strap bracket as mine and pop riveted fitting. Also no spare holes for where mine are fitted using screws!. Previous owner must have moved them.

Just in case readers think they can fit a 7kg calor butane bottle in a Puck 120 GT, hang on. I do not have as much height in my locker as in the photos and I am hoping to do a test dry fit at the gas supplier near my next outing before committing. It's going to be tight and I'll update when I know.

Steve

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi
and Simboc2004 like this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:17 pm
by malcolmR (deleted)

Hi Following the thread its most helpful, our Triton 420 has that same 30mbar sticker in the gas locker. will that mean i can only fit a 7 kg butane bottle as its 29mbar. Whereas the 6kg propane bottle is at 35mbar.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Apr 30, 2023 2:43 pm
by Old Rocker | 489 Posts

I saw a report recently where the dis continuation of the smaller butane and propane bottles was being delayed for a short while

2022 Troll 530, Volvo XC60 2,4 R design

Yesterday is just a memory, tomorrow's never what it's supposed to be
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:56 pm

As John has posted on another post on here today: the 30mbar is the pressure that the appliances actually work at, not a maximum pressure. The propane regulator adjusts the 35mbar of the Propane down to the necessary pressure for the appliances to work. So, as long as you fit the correct regulator and pigtail, you can use either 7kg butane or 6kg propane. I am tempted to convert to propane (I prefer its lower temp operating performance), however I think I will wait for Calor to sort themselves out first. And, to be honest, even on a few cold Spring mornings and evenings last year I had no problem with the heater and stove running on butane...

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:19 pm

John also suggested that you may not need to change the regulator.

7kg Propane gas bottle for our 2007 eriba

Steve.

Simboc2004 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun May 07, 2023 4:43 pm
by Old Rocker | 489 Posts

I read an article a few weeks back that the decision to discontinue the smaller propane and butane had been put back, it didn't say for how long though.

I managed to exchange one of my small butane last week at a CMC site.

2022 Troll 530, Volvo XC60 2,4 R design

Now all he believes are his eyes, and his eyes they just tell him lies
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Jun 17, 2023 1:23 pm

Update: The Calor Gas business model now beggars belief.

Originally You could replace your bottle with any other bottle in the same size range. Then they changed that so you could only replace your bottle to one in the same size range and the same colour. Now they have changed it again so you can only exchange your bottle for exactly the same bottle size and colour.

There are other specific changes for the 3.9kg propane and 4.5kg butane that are to be withdrawn.

They are now exchanging the bottles but will increasingly limit the availability by scrapping bottles that require maintenance. To exchange the bottle you now have to phone their nearest centre to check if they have stock, place an exchange order, pay for the gas and obtain an order number prior to collection.

You cannot change to a different size even if you pay a new deposit, no exceptions for the withdrawn bottles. So I am stuck with an increasingly harder to source and harder to purchase product. Apparently it is support the customer which I read as get more money out of the serviceable bottles and stuff loyalty

https://www.calor.co.uk/gas-bottles/refi...~:text=If%20you've%20got%20an,Cylinder%20Refill%20Agreement%20(CRA).

https://www.calor.co.uk/news-and-views/u...-cylinder-range

Steve

Last edited Sat Jun 17, 2023 1:26 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Jun 17, 2023 1:36 pm

What sizes do they now do then? I have 7kg Butane and had considered swapping to 6kg Propane - but that's clearly now out of the window. We use so little gas that I would prefer a smaller bottle . Is there one available now? Or do i need to swap to a different supplier?

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Jun 17, 2023 1:48 pm

Quote: Simboc2004 wrote in post #25
I have 7kg Butane and had considered swapping to 6kg Propane

Yours isn't discontinuing but the official line is you can't swap to propane. But some dealers may not be au fait with the rules and you may get lucky. You would need to change the connector so why bother - unless you go winter camping.

Sorry, misread. The 4.5 and 3.9 are no longer available from Calor. FloGas still do them but what the future of them is anyones guess.

Steve

Simboc2004 likes this post!
Last edited Sat Jun 17, 2023 1:49 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:21 pm

Could you use a Calor 5kg Patio Gas bottle in a caravan? It's propane. Or is it too wide for a locker? I'm about to buy one, so will try it to see if it fits.

Of course, in another act of Calor madness, you can't go into a retailer and take on the "hire" of a 5kg Patio bottle (but you can a 13kg one) - you have to find a secondhand one for sale on Ebay or gumtree and then exchange that for a full one... Surprise, surprise, people are asking big money for an empty bottle...

Last edited Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:56 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:44 pm
by dinky | 211 Posts

Got to say find this news somewhat strange why stop the product that feeds the calor company, is calor in monetary problems.? perhaps its the emissions , and gas collecting carbon costs,
the narrowboats are also finding gas difficult to locate from the tubes watched.
am watching with interest the narrowboat that james built, who has plans to go all electric, he uses those eco flows and 'a' named one used to weld roof with.

what is your must gas appliance.?
am surprised smev not done a low wattage replacement electric induct hob yet to switch out the gas.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:03 pm

Dinky, the problem is using your van when not on hookup. Gas cooking and gas cooling are both needed for off grid

Steve

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:37 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.300 Posts

Dinky, I have read Calor want to shift business emphasis away from small bottle leisure market in favour of supplying gas to large static tanks.
Flogas want to do the reverse and will probably be the new default setting for Leisure Industry bottles.
I don't believe a low wattage induction hob is possible.
Electric only caravans are here for those who want one. Knaus do a fairly comprehensive E-Power range with electric hot water, combined electric heating/cooling and induction hob cooking. Inside they do look very nice.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol - oh dear me, I've gone to the darkish side and bought a Feeling after 4 Tourings
Scroll up

Visitors
5 Members and 29 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12516 topics and 105598 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 5